Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Broadening the Appeal of Wadjet Eye Games  (Read 4032 times)

Offline StingingVelvet

• View Profile
Broadening the Appeal of Wadjet Eye Games
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:51:28 PM »
Hello,

So I bought Gemini Rue and enjoyed it a lot, but as I look around the site itself and at the other offerings I see a lot of room for improvements.  What I mean is compared to other indie PC developers and how they present their games, themselves and their storefronts.  I thought I would start a thread for positive and constructive thoughts about how to improve the site, the games, the store and other such things to maybe broaden Wadjet Eye Games' appeal and customer base after the media attention Gemini Rue received.

Please feel free to add your suggestions.

1) A Better Website - Nothing personal against the webmaster, but the site is somewhat bland.  The color scheme is mute and games do not pop off the screen and beg you to click on them or check them out.  Once you do check them out the game pages themselves are not as exciting as they could be and lack focus and a consistent style of presentation.

2) Building an Informed Community - As a Wadget Eye customer I should be more involved than I am.  There might be a newsletter I don't know about because there hasn't been one in a while, but there could be so much more.  Why just a forum account when we could have an account for the whole site, which shows our purchases, and deals on offer and messages from the developers.  I know you have a blog somewhere else, but why not make it part of the site and update it more often with inside info and hype?  I know there is a new Blackwell game coming at some point but I know nothing about it, I have no idea when it is coming out and I don't know what other projects are in the works.  Aside from just keeping customers interested and checking back this would also have the side effect of gaining media attention like Jeff Vogel or Cliffski so when they make interesting comments or hype something.

3) Nostalgia is Great, but Not on an LCD Screen - Know your audience and what they are playing on.  I know there are many who like the "old-school" look of adventure games from the Monkey Island era, but at the same time the vast majority of your customers are using modern LCD screens at higher resolutions and the pixel-based low-res images of your games are a big clash with that.  Now I am not saying your games should look like Gray Matter, obviously there are budget issues there, but maybe high-res background images with pixel-based or low-poly character models would be achievable?  Something that scales up better on a modern display in any case, something you could perhaps invest in after Gemini Rue's success.

Those are just some thoughts!

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Broadening the Appeal of Wadjet Eye Games
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 02:09:34 PM »
Hey StingingVelvet!  Thanks for the comments.  :)

New site: Interesting you bring that up.  We've actually been testing out a new website for about a month now.  We haven't made it live yet, but you can check out the WIP version at: http://s238485241.onlinehome.us/ . We're also going to be shifting the store from Plimus to BMT Micro, which will remove a lot of headaches (no more 24 hour download periods!)

Mailing List: Yep, there is one!  If you bought a game from the site, you should be on it already.  I don't send out mailing list posts too often, if only because I don't want to spam my customers and the games don't come out often enough to warrant it.  As for not knowing much about the Blackwell game... that's actually been done on purpose.  I knew Gemini Rue was coming out so I wanted to put all my marketing efforts behind that.  Now that it's done and dusted, you'll be seeing lots more about Blackwell in the coming weeks - especially since I can work on it again.  :)

Nostalgia stuff: I hear you. I would totally go higher res if I could!  You're right about the pixel art being mostly due to budget concerns.  I've tried going high res once.  It took forever and was way too expensive.  I've been experimenting with the 3d stuff on DAZ and I'm trying to see if I can get anything to look halfway decent.  So after Deception you might see something looking a little new.  Also, AGS (the engine we make the games on) is going open source soon so hopefully that will open up some possibilities in terms of making it accessible on more computers.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:13:09 PM by DaveGilbert »

Offline StingingVelvet

• View Profile
Re: Broadening the Appeal of Wadjet Eye Games
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 04:21:57 PM »
New site: Interesting you bring that up.  We've actually been testing out a new website for about a month now.  We haven't made it live yet, but you can check out the WIP version at: http://s238485241.onlinehome.us/ .

That looks really, really good.  Same style, but so much more functional and eye-grabbing.  Hope to see that up soon!

Mailing List: Yep, there is one!  If you bought a game from the site, you should be on it already.  I don't send out mailing list posts too often, if only because I don't want to spam my customers and the games don't come out often enough to warrant it.  As for not knowing much about the Blackwell game... that's actually been done on purpose.  I knew Gemini Rue was coming out so I wanted to put all my marketing efforts behind that.  Now that it's done and dusted, you'll be seeing lots more about Blackwell in the coming weeks - especially since I can work on it again.  :)

Sounds good.  Have you looked at the site for Amnesia: The Dark Descent?  It is very good at delivering information on the game and hyping it while not being too obvious about it.  The blog on that site has gotten attention on Kotaku and similar sites several times and the built-in trailer is focused on and attention-getting.  You'd be surprised at how effective a slick presentation can be, especially when you have a ton of people clicking on Gemini Rue links all over the net wondering what it's about.

Nostalgia stuff: I hear you. I would totally go higher res if I could!  You're right about the pixel art being mostly due to budget concerns.  I've tried going high res once.  It took forever and was way too expensive.  I've been experimenting with the 3d stuff on DAZ and I'm trying to see if I can get anything to look halfway decent.  So after Deception you might see something looking a little new.  Also, AGS (the engine we make the games on) is going open source soon so hopefully that will open up some possibilities in terms of making it accessible on more computers.

Sounds good, more options is always nice.  I must admit I have NO idea what these things cost and stuff.  I just thought maybe a "low-fi" but high resolution friendly compromise might be obtainable.  The original Monkey Island remake for instance, or maybe something like Captain Brawe.  Are those incredibly more expensive to do than something like your latest Blackwell game?