Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Mac port?  (Read 17346 times)

harlequ1n

Mac port?
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:45:24 AM »
I know you're gonna attack me for even ask this but, is a Mac port planned or something? I'd really love to play this game.

Bender

Re: Mac port?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:07:29 AM »
You should try testing the demo with the mac version of Wine : http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

AGS games and Gemini Rue are working on Linux, so it should probably works on Mac too

hedgefield

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:17:23 AM »
The engine Gemini Rue is built on does not support outputting Mac versions, so if you want to play it on a Mac you'll probably have to run Windows via Bootcamp or Parallels, or perhaps use the aformentioned Wine.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:08:12 AM »
Like Hedgefield says, the AGS engine does not support mac builds, at least not natively.  The engine is going open source soon, so hopefully that means a mac port will be coming eventually!

Offline saikofish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 09:55:37 AM »
King's Quest III Redux (which was also released yesterday) seems to be AGS-based and has a Mac version. I didn't think AGS was Mac compatible either so it might be worth asking how they did it.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 10:00:46 AM »
I have. The answer is that they used an old version of AGS to make that game, which somebody made a mac runtime for.  That version is from 2006 or so, and Gemini Rue was made with the latest version which came out late last year.

-Dave

oglver22

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 09:18:25 PM »
I have. The answer is that they used an old version of AGS to make that game, which somebody made a mac runtime for.  That version is from 2006 or so, and Gemini Rue was made with the latest version which came out late last year.

-Dave

That's weird that they told you that.  On the AGS forums about the Kings Quest 2 remake  here  http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=37170.msg554069#msg554069 just this fall an AGDI developer said that they basically just 'wrap' the game files using the CXZ wrapper/engine and that it would work for any AGS game.  They say that they didn't port the runtime.  Apparently a fan volunteered to help them out in making the wrapper.  You should look into hiring that guy, whoever he is!!  I'm a huge fan of Wadget eye and I loved Puzzle Bots, but if you could get Gemini Rue and Puzzle Bots on Mac using a wrapper, you'd sell billions!!  We're all rooting for you! 

jgilberg

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »
If you are dying to play the game right now (and other PC based games), get a copy of parallels and install a copy of windows on your mac. This is what I have done for a few years now and it works wonderfully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HjHMSwm8gY

~Julie

oglver22

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 04:41:03 PM »
To follow up, the AGDI guys confirmed that they used a wrapper for the mac version of King's Quest 3, but apparently it isn't for commercial games  :(  See the response from today http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=42955.msg571362#msg571362  Cider is expensive I hear, but Wineskin looks promising and its under the GPL.

ryosan

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:46:04 AM »
Just to comfort the Mac fans here, I can safely say that GR on Wineskin works perfectly and I mean perfectly.

Because everyone on the internet is lazy and doesn't know how Google works, here's a "HOW TO INSTALL GEMINI RUE ON THE MAC IN SIX STEPS!111" guide.

1) First up, buy the game because it's fantastic and the developers deserve your cash. You'll end up with a single EXE file if you download the digital copy.

2) Install the Wineskin Winery app from here http://wineskin.doh123.com/Latest_Update.html - don't worry, it's free and open source. Once you've done that, open it and install the latest engine and wrapper version (it should be obvious where to click to do this).

3) Click "Create a New Blank Wrapper". Call it Gemini Rue.app

4) When that wrapper is created, right click/ctrl click on it,"Show Package Contents" and open WineSkin.app .

5) Choose Install Windows Software and point the finder pop up to your downloaded EXE file. It will now install like a Windows program. Choose all the defaults (don't add shortcuts etc). Once done, it should ask you for the default exe to launch. It usually gets this right so just click OK. The installer should close and you should have your first ported app!

6) Finally double click on Gemini Rue.app and you are ready to go. Saved game files should go to your Documents folder (in My Saved Games > Gemini Rue), so you can transfer them easily.

NOTE : Wineskin needs an Intel Mac, so sorry PPC users, you MIGHT (and I stress the might) be able to run it on Virtual PC on a G4 running Windows XP, but that's really stretching it.)

And no, I'm not going to post my wrapper to anyone or give anyone a "backup" of the game. Everything mentioned apart from the game in this message is free and open source and takes a total of ten minutes of your life.

ADDENDUM : Some **** will now ask "How do I change the icon? It's so ugly. I can't enjoy this game knowing that it has a horrible default Wineskin icon, because it's SO IMPORTANT TO ME." For that, I post you to here :

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/how-to-change-mac-os-x-leopard-icons/

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 09:02:25 AM »
Thanks for this!  I wish I could actually sell the wineskin version of the game, but it's not legally allowed and I don't feel comfortable selling something that I would be unable to support.  But, for those who come to me asking about a Mac version I can now point them to this thread.  Thanks much, Ryosan!

-Dave

Offline Manuel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »
Thanks for this!  I wish I could actually sell the wineskin version of the game, but it's not legally allowed and I don't feel comfortable selling something that I would be unable to support.
I can understand your reservations about selling something you can't support, but as far as the legal issue goes, are you sure that is the case? The author of Wineskin seems to see that differently, as stated here: http://wineskin.doh123.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?topics_offset=1&forumId=1&comments_parentId=116
And a version you can't support might still be better than nothing at all for those Mac users that don't feel up to the task of creating the wrapper themselves.
Just a thought...