Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: [Tech] Gemini Rue and Windows 7 64Bit  (Read 93894 times)

Offline gemicik

• View Profile
Re: [Tech] Gemini Rue and Windows 7 64Bit
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2011, 07:47:15 AM »
I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and playing via Steam and the game did not work for me at all. Then I tried the following, it is far from being elegant and pretty idiotic but I could safely play the game, save, restore and quit properly.

First thing I have noticed is that if you play in the windowed mode and try to drag the window around the game works properly. That was pretty awkward to see. Anyway I thought, my double display adapter thingy was causing problems, so I went into the Nvidia panel to tell it to switch to Nvidia. So, I had to know where the .exe file is. But I didn't know. Apparently, Steam stores the game files under its own folder. So,

go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\gemini rue\reslists\gemini rue.exe. Right click on it and select the Disable display scaling on High DPI Settings together with Run in 640x480 screen resolution.  It looks horrible with all that start menu and stuff but you will actually be able to run it and play it. Steam will complain about please don't tweak the compatibility stuff but just nevermind that. Using the same .exe file you can change how the graphichs are handled by Nvidia.

Hope it helps. (if not keep playing with those options until it gets it right).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:58:05 AM by gemicik »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »
This is another great short-term solution!  After all these issues that keep cropping up, we are looking into creating a new version of the snow/rain plugin that can work under Direct3D.  It's a tricky task, because the original plugin is not open source and its original developer has long since disappeared, but we are pretty confident that we can re-create it.  I'll update this thread when we know more.

Offline DasWood

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2011, 02:03:25 AM »
Hello. I am unable to get the game to run

---------------------------
Illegal exception
---------------------------
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x6F496705 ; program pointer is -182, ACI version 3.21.1111, gtags (0,0)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

This appears when I try to start the game.

In addition: If I had known this was a 16 bit game I would not have purchased it. 16bit support was removed from Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 and will not be present in Windows 8 x64 and likely to be dropped completely. 
Example
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926657
Note This symptom only applies to 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and of Windows 7. 16-bit programs are not supported on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista or of Windows 7.

Offline ced117

• GNU/Linux user
    • View Profile
    • ced117
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2011, 05:28:37 AM »
Hello !

You should try this  ;)

Offline MisterS42

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »
This is another great short-term solution!  After all these issues that keep cropping up, we are looking into creating a new version of the snow/rain plugin that can work under Direct3D.  It's a tricky task, because the original plugin is not open source and its original developer has long since disappeared, but we are pretty confident that we can re-create it.  I'll update this thread when we know more.

Great news!  The game gave me issues again so I'm looking forward to this update. Thank you for the diligence.

Offline evancg

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2011, 03:52:01 AM »
I was playing Gemini Rue just fine on a AMD N830 based laptop with 64bit Win7 and a Radeon HD 5650. I recently upgrade to a Core i7 with a geforce GT555m and now I'm unable to play Gemini Rue...still playing around with settings, but none of the previous suggestions have made a difference yet (High Performance mode (using an Asus laptop), playing with compatibility settings, etc...ugh, frustrating!

Offline DasWood

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
I  have gotten the game to run! Disabling music in the configuration allows it to run. My soundcard does not come with a midi driver and something was wrong causing it to crash instead of failing safely. Even in programs like windows media player.

I did a sfc /scannow, reinstalled my sound drivers and now it starts with an error "unable to init midi" and NO sound and if I disable music in the config options I do not get any error and can hear the rain fall.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2011, 08:06:31 AM »
That's really strange, considering that the game doesn't use MIDI.  This is something I'll definitely have to look into!  But as long as you got it to work, bonus. :)

Offline DasWood

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2011, 11:57:33 PM »
What was really causing problems was that the error message produced had absolutely nothing to do with the actual error and it doesn't produce an event viewer event.

Offline evancg

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2011, 01:38:29 AM »
Any chance of releasing an update that allows us to disable the use of the snowrain plugin? I have an ASUS N55SF and switching to High Performance mode doesn't solve the problem. Neither does any of the other suggested fixes in this thread...

Offline monkey_05_06

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2011, 11:42:58 AM »
Hi folks,

I just wanted to provide an update for those of you experiencing issues with the Snow/Rain plugin. I'm the programmer who has stepped in to help replace the plugin, and I've just recently emailed Dave the latest copy, which hopefully will be the final release version of my code. I've opted out of the plugin route altogether, going straight for native AGS code, which means that not only is the code compatible with both the DirectDraw and the Direct3D 9 graphics drivers, but it is also portable to other systems (not sure what the specs are, but there are currently unofficial ports to PSP and Android that are up-to-date with the latest AGS engine, and I think the Linux port isn't far behind on compatibility).

Hopefully, unless Dave or Josh find any glaring issues that I've overlooked, you can all look forward to this fix being uploaded in the near future. I know this has been a long time coming, so sorry on behalf of Wadjet Eye Games (from a pseudo-affiliated party), but I'm glad I was able to help out with this.

-monkey

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2011, 12:12:48 PM »
Monkey beat me to it.  I have just tested the replacement code and it SEEMS to be working fine.  But before I publish the update, I'd like to make sure it works for those who were having trouble in the first place.  So, if you encountered this problem, please email me and I'll send you a link to this new build.

Thanks!  And again, so sorry for all this trouble.

-Dave

Offline hellspawncandy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2011, 01:43:22 PM »
This game has been unplayable for some time. Every time I start it up on steam it just freezes. I've done pretty much everything I can to no avail and I'm pretty sure a lot of people are having issues as well. I'd honestly like to enjoy this game but it doesn't really seem to be in full grasp from even the developers. I'm running win 7 32 bit on a laptop(battery is at high performance so it's not a problem) and I'd really not like to dig into my steam files and edit some things. Is there any likely solution that this will be fixed or is this a lost cause?

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »
Hi Hell spawn.  Read the post above yours and contact me. :)

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2011, 04:32:58 PM »
Sorry for the double post.  We have tried out this new build with a few people who experienced this bug, and I'm happy to report that it WORKS!  We're going to let it mature a bit and let the rest of the testers take a crack at it just in case, but a solution is on the way.

-Dave