Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: 3 quick little suggestions  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Roddy

• View Profile
3 quick little suggestions
« on: January 28, 2011, 02:06:13 PM »
Take em or leave em, it's all gooooood :)

1) Remove the post-holiday-sale post from your front-page.
I made the decision to buy the bundle a week ago or so but just as I typed the address to your website ready to pay the 20 or so dollars I saw your post about holiday-sale having ended.
I had no previous knowledge that there was a holiday sale so if I hadn't seen that post I would have happily payed up the 20$ having no idea (or care) that a week ago it was half-priced, but since it's written there right on the first page all the sudden the 20$ feels like I'm buying a bad deal and should hold off.

ie. keep doing sales, but don't leave the information there afterwards, if you go to a gadget store and pick up a cellphone and bring it to the counter do you really want the cashier to say "haha if you'd bought this a week ago it woudl have been half-priced, dumbass!" :P

(in my case I decided to buy the game anyway since after a bit of thinking I realized the higher price means more money goes to support more of the games, it doesn't go to a group of fat board of directors who needs to afford their throphy wifes (which sadly is the case of most games on the market :P).

2) Add a "procentage completed" part to your games,
kind of like how in Grim Fandango when you're in the options screen there's a big artwork and the more of the artwork that's covered the further into the game you are, thus you know how long to expect the game to last,
but I think Blackwell could benefit from such a feature more than Grim since BW is that length where you either think "wtf that ended suddenly!" or you're like "I need to go to bed, but I estimate it's only 5 mins left of the game anyway judging from previous game" but then you sit there for next 30mins like "aaw isn't it over?".

3) If possible, consider seperating the next BW game from the previous trilogy.
Currently you have to play the BW games in correct order (for example Joey spoils everything from unbound if you play convergence first) and I think that may not be ideal:
in my case whenever I saw a cool screenshot from unbound or convergence somewhere (which I have a bit here and there during the last couple of years) I've first thought "hey that looks interesting" and then seen that's it's the blackwell game and remember that I tried the demo for blackwell 1 and really disliked it. (the long exposition in beginning is perhaps worst way I could think of to start a game, and the puzzles just annoys me)
What I didn't know was that blackwell 2&3 is waaaay better, but how could I've known since you need to play through the first one before you can move on to the next one.

So since the 4th one is a bit different (they are officially opening a public detective beaureo) I wonder if perhaps it might be better to market it as a standalone game and then be like "hey if you like this game you can also check out the origins-triology".
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:18:00 AM by Roddy »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 3 quick little suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 11:37:22 AM »
Thanks, Roddy, on bringing lots of discussion to the forum. :) Obviously I won't agree with everything, but it's always good to know what the fans are thinking.

Take em or leave em, it's all gooooood :)

1) Remove the post-holiday-sale post from your front-page.
I made the decision to buy the bundle a week ago or so but just as I typed the address to your website ready to pay the 20 or so dollars I saw your post about holiday-sale having ended.
I had no previous knowledge that there was a holiday sale so if I hadn't seen that post I would have happily payed up the 20$ having no idea (or care) that a week ago it was half-priced, but since it's written there right on the first page all the sudden the 20$ feels like I'm buying a bad deal and should hold off.

Not a bad idea.  Typically the last three news items are present on the front page, of which the christmas sale is one.  Right now my priority is pushing Gemini Rue so I've been holding off adding extra news items in order to keep GR at the top.  But maybe I can clandestinely remove the holiday sale stuff.  ;)

(in my case I decided to buy the game anyway since after a bit of thinking I realized the higher price means more money goes to support more of the games, it doesn't go to a group of fat board of directors who needs to afford their throphy wifes (which sadly is the case of most games on the market :P).

My wife is awesome, but I definitely have a trophy dog who needs to be kept in kibble.

2) Add a "procentage completed" part to your games,
kind of like how in Grim Fandango when you're in the options screen there's a big artwork and the more of the artwork that's covered the further into the game you are, thus you know how long to expect the game to last,
but I think Blackwell could benefit from such a feature more than Grim since BW is that length where you either think "wtf that ended suddenly!" or you're like "I need to go to bed, but I estimate it's only 5 mins left of the game anyway judging from previous game" but then you sit there for next 30mins like "aaw isn't it over?".

Funny, this is happening a lot in games these days and something PlayFirst insisted on for ECC.  I'm on the fence about it.  If it's not done well it can look very artificial and contrived.  It works for casual games because they are usually about knowing what your tasks are from the very beginning and then completing them, but for games like this?  I'm not sure.

3) If possible, consider seperating the next BW game from the previous trilogy.
Currently you have to play the BW games in correct order (for example Joey spoils everything from unbound if you play convergence first) and I think that may not be ideal:
in my case whenever I saw a cool screenshot from unbound or convergence somewhere (which I have a bit here and there during the last couple of years) I've first thought "hey that looks interesting" and then seen that's it's the blackwell game and remember that I tried the demo for blackwell 1 and really disliked it. (the long exposition in beginning is perhaps worst way I could think of to start a game, and the puzzles just annoys me)
What I didn't know was that blackwell 2&3 is waaaay better, but how could I've known since you need to play through the first one before you can move on to the next one.

Perhaps I should redo that demo!  Since there will be 6 games altogether I'm debating the idea of just selling the first three as a trilogy, and creating a trailer/demo that encompasses all three games. And then do the same for the next three, whenever they get done!

So since the 4th one is a bit different (they are officially opening a public detective beaureo) I wonder if perhaps it might be better to market it as a standalone game and then be like "hey if you like this game you can also check out the origins-triology".

I wouldn't say it's stand-alone but it's probably the more detectivey/investigatey game of the bunch.  Either way, it won't be part of the "bundle" for a long while yet.