Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: I'm curious!  (Read 4953 times)

Offline susansuth

• View Profile
I'm curious!
« on: January 27, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »
I know you aren't going to give spoilers away about important things like how Joey died or what happened to Lauren, etc.

But I am curious.  Do you have everything already planned out in terms of the storyline and how many games the Blackwell series will cover?  Or do you just have some major plot points taken care of and the rest just making it up as you go along?

It's really rare to find a series of games that has such a vivid, well-done backstory that's doled out along with the main plot of each game, so obviously I want the series to continue a long while.  ;)

But I am curious as to how much of a planner you are in term of storyline.

And really, really dying to know what happened to Lauren and Joey.   ;D

Susan

Roddy

Re: I'm curious!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:27:34 AM »
Didn't you learn anything from watching Lost? it teaches us that you don't need ANYTHING planned ahead just throw in as many awesome short-term suprises as possible and then in the end just shrugg it off :P

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:39:35 AM »
But I am curious.  Do you have everything already planned out in terms of the storyline and how many games the Blackwell series will cover?  Or do you just have some major plot points taken care of and the rest just making it up as you go along?

A bit from column A, and a bit from column B. :) 

I plotted out the backstory and the plot years ago.  Back in, gosh, 2003?  So I always knew what happened in the past, and why things are the way they are.  When I plotted out the main story, I had a pretty good idea about how things would go and how they would be revealed, but it's kind of nebulous.  I sometimes come up with better ideas or I second guess myself and think that my earlier idea sucked.  So I change things around.  The introduction of Madeline, for example, was supposed to be an entire game.  But I decided instead to introduce her a bit earlier to create a bit of foreshadowing and mystery so you don't suddenly get this important new character out of nowhere. 

So to answer your question, I know where the series is going, but I sometimes change the roadmap leading there.  If that makes any sense.

-Dave

Offline susansuth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 07:54:12 PM »
That makes a lot of sense.  *nodding*

I like that way of doing things.  It gives a sense of structure to the writing, but allows you wiggle room so that if you come up with something better and more interesting (those YES! moments), then you can change it without your whole story falling apart.

I'm intrigued to see what Madeline has to do with things and how she got "banished", for lack of a better word.

You've got so many irons in the fire that I can't choose which one I want you to answer first.   ;D

Am very much looking forward to Deception!  :)

And Roddy...LOL!  I never saw Lost, but I did hear about that ending.  *snort*  I'm glad I didn't get caught up in that.  I HATE when TV shows do that.  Bleh.

Susan