Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Per Twitter-Isometric RPG games  (Read 30610 times)

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Per Twitter-Isometric RPG games
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 12:54:45 PM »
Yep!  LindaS has got it right.  You can play through 90% of Torment and never have a single battle, although the battles can be hecka fun. :)

SierraMindy, you might want to give Planescape Torment a try if you like more story driven games.  Placescape is sometimes called Planescape Torment the novel, it has so many words in it!  Although that's part of what I love about it.  There are so many directions the story can take depending on your choices and actions it's almost overwhelming.   And it's a pretty involving story, too.  That is, assuming you don't mind playing an grunting beefcake guy with thousands of scars all over his body. :) 

He's a good guy.  Honest.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:00:07 PM by DaveGilbert »

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »
Oh my, not exactly cute, is he? I might be able to get past that, but the gameplay with lots of choices and different directions is not for me. I have a hard time making choices of any kind. I prefer strictly linear games with the choices already built into the game. I don't mind if one can explore and do things in no particular order as long as it all comes together with only one end. So I do think this game would overwhelm me way too much, even more than Aveyond.
I'm not sure I play a game for the story, graphics, places (although I do prefer games with more outdoor scenes than indoors, feels more adventurous moving on paths rather than hallways) or anything one can truly explain. It's an inner something that is either there or not there and I have no idea what it is, I just know when I feel it. I suppose that's why scary, horror games don't attrack me, the feel is all wrong for me.
But Joey is a joy! I still recall that first screen shot with Joey and Rosa in the park trying to help that lost ghost that made me want to play The Blackwell Legacy then and there. It said something to me and I was hooked, just that fast. Love at first sight? Does that count for a game?
Just putting in my 25 cents worth, inflation you know.

Offline LindaS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 03:58:03 PM »
Sierramindy, Planescape:Torment had a definite linear story, but you could explore and take side quests and such, if my memory serves me right. (It's been about 10 years since I played the game). I would really urge you to give Dave's future game a chance. You might like it more than you think.

I loved the story of Planescape. As an avid reader, it was one of the few games ever that really approached really an actual novel. It also had twists that I found really shocking because I didn't see them coming at all.

However, I'd like to be the first to beg Dave to please, please have a different ending. :P The ending to P:T was WAY depressing.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »
We shall force Planescape on you if it kills us, Mindy! :)

Seriously though, Planescape definitely isn't for everyone.  As much as I love it, the graphics are very dated now and some of the subject matter is verrrrry dark.  And you do spend a lot of time reading instead of playing.  Course many people say the same thing about my games. :)  Either way, this "future game" is very hypothetical at this stage.  We've still got Puzzle Bots, a second game for PF, and another Blackwell game to get through first!

Interesting that you say seeing Joey in the park with Alli made you interested in the game, Mindy.  It's one of my favorite scenes, too.

Offline Rognik

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 02:43:32 PM »
Speaking as a fan of the QfG series, you might want to give them a second try, too. While yes, there are combat elements in it, I know that there are many ways you can play that game and avoid any button-mashing combat. Obviously, the fighter class wouldn't be for you, but I think you could pull off a magic-user or thief, as they have skills that allow them to avoid combat. (For instance, sneaking in QfG 1 reduces the chance of you encountering random monsters. And once you learn the calm spell as a magic-user, you can easily run away from monsters that way.)

I greatly enjoyed Planescape: Torment. In actuality, the game is greatly linear with very few variations. One of the reasons I never finished Baldur's Gate was due to the massive amounts of party members you can add; P:T reduces that option to about 6-7 tops. For most of the game, you can't die permanently. And strategy is definitely praised more than combat skill, although your characters stats matter for some puzzles (stupid riddle-man, not letting me give the right answer despite me, the player, knowing it). Plus, as the hero is an amnesiac, it's a good introduction to the D&D world is you were ever interested.

Obviously, I'd be interested in an isometric RPG game if one were to come out. I've been trying out various RPG-style games, and if done right, it could be amazing. It's all too easy to build a bad combat system. Plus trying to balance combat with puzzles is always difficult. I say approach with caution if you follow through on it.

Offline LindaS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 04:33:01 PM »
Hey Dave, since we were talking about ARPGs that are coming out, did you know about this?

Background: Iron Lore Entertainment was the creator of Titan Quest, a very popular D2 clone. Through no fault of their own, they ended up going bust (mainly through piracy issues). They have re-formed as Crate Entertainment. Originally, the plan was to go to console games. However, according to the article linked above, they are now planning to go back to the PC.

This is just one more isometric/ARPG game coming out from a proven group of people. However, once again, I'm sure that this will probably be an "action" RPG, not an "adventure" RPG, which is what I would Planescape:Torment as.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 06:50:07 PM »
Wow.  That looks gorgeous!  Seeing all these games in the works is kind of intimidating. :-D

Speaking of ARPGs, I just put one up on the site!  Check out the demo of Morning's Wrath if you're into that kind of thing.

Offline LindaS

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 07:42:09 PM »
Yep, saw that! I'll try out the demo in the next few days when I have time!

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »
About RPG It's the RP that I don't like, so no matter how good it is, it just isn't for me. Adventure is something that moves along, whereas role playing gets boring as improving skills (fighting, stealing, spells, whatever) gets monotonous. There is nothng to be curious about in improving a skill, it just takes practice and what can be more boring than that? I admit to being an under-achiever who is willing to just get by. Although I'm getting good at being a kleptomaniac and taking everything that isn't nailed down for inventory, but that's fun and the curiosity factor is very high since who knows how it will be used and better yet, takes no real skill. I also never pay attention to the score in games that have them and I never play a game over to get better at it.
Just putting in my 25 cents worth, inflation you know.

Sonic626

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 08:58:49 AM »
If there were a limited set of skills to improve just as an excuse for the developer to shoehorn in some RPG elements to begin with and force some semblance of character progression, than I agree. However, the games that provide a well-constructed, thought out system can be very enjoyable. The key is to provide enough possibilities so that the player can truly create their own experience within the game especially if they have a particular play style they prefer for encounters. Providing this also allows for more sharing with friends since it provides a strategic / personal choice element (beyond the quickly-growing-old "good vs. bad" moral systems in many games today). Without the opportunity to just max out every skill, it really forces you to more about the game and the obstacles set before you.

Offline LindaS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 01:15:32 PM »
I'll get back to Blackwell and she'll work on an isometric RPG engine.  And if it's user-friendly enough, we can license it out to others!  There are no friendly isometric RPG engines out there. 

Dave, just FYI, the "no friendly isometric RPG engines" may be changing in 2 weeks. Check out this post from the Runic games forum. You can watch 3 basic tutorials from their blog posts. It looks like the Runic guys are very sympathetic toward toward Indie developers and are letting anyone use their PrEditor for free. My understanding is that they built their entire game from PrEditor.

I'm not sure if this will meet your needs, and maybe Janet just wants to go ahead and create an engine so that you have something that definitely belongs entirely to you. However, if she isn't 100% committed to writing it, she may want to dive into PrEditor and see what she thinks.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 01:18:07 PM »
I *think* that just might be a modding tool for Torchlight, and not an engine per se.  We'll have to look into it!

Offline LindaS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 01:24:15 PM »
Dave, I am nearly 100% sure that it is far more than a modding tool for Torchlight, because the devs have stated several times that "you could actually make your own game from scratch" in PrEditor. However, this is the first time that they have explicitly said that indie developers are welcome to just use it freely for their own games.

Not that this will be as easy as just modding Torchlight, but I think you are already well aware of that.

Edit: They have said several times that they are using Ogre. Not even sure what Ogre is, but I was under the impression that PrEditor was built from Ogre? Sorry I can't be more helpful. I don't understand a lot of what is said on the modding forum, because I've never created a game. That being said, I'm looking forward to diving into PrEditor, because it looks so easy compared to so many others.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 01:27:49 PM by LindaS »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 01:28:59 PM »
Ohh neat!  Hopefully it'll be ready for use when the time comes.  Thanks for the tip, Linda!  I've also been in talks with EDIgames about using their in-the-works engine for Morning's Wrath 2.

This RPG (and as Ed says, it doesn't have to necessarily be isometric) is something Janet and I really want to do.  The only problem with having a great idea for a project is that you have to finish your current projects first! :) 

Offline LindaS

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 01:45:33 PM »
You're very welcome! Right now I'm not in a monetary situation to help out any indie developers, but I'm rooting for you guys and I love to help where I can. I figure it's the least I can do since I just got a free copy of Shivah a few weeks ago.  ;)

At any rate, PrEditor is being released on October 27, the same date as Torchlight, so Janet could take a look and see what she thinks.