Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Per Twitter-Isometric RPG games  (Read 30316 times)

Offline LindaS

• View Profile
Re: Per Twitter-Isometric RPG games
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 07:24:51 PM »
Heh, sorry about the double post, but G4tv just put out an interview with Max Schaefer that contained the following:

G4: Is the level editor supposed to bundled with the game at release?

Schaefer: Yes. It may be a separate download, but it'll be absolutely free for anyone who wants to get it.

G4: What sorts of versatility do have in terms of creating new content?

Schaefer: Oh, it's huge. It's almost limitless. This is the actual development tools that we use day-to-day. We're not dumbing them down, we're not disabling them. Everything we do with this tool is going to be available for the customer to do. A really, really ambitious modder will be able to make an entirely new game with it. As long as it's an action RPG. We don't have a lot of camera control stuff. It's got to look vaguely like what we're doing and work vaguely that way. But our graphics engine is a third-party graphics engine, it's the Ogre 3D engine -- it's just a graphics engine. It doesn't have any game tools or anything. It's open source and the cool thing about that is people have written 3DSMax and Maya exporters so people will literally be able to generate their own art and plug it into the game. There's level editing, particle systems, skill editors, quest editing features -- the tool si really comprehensive. It's how we create and construct the game on a day-to-day basis and it literally does everything.

So yes, you should be able to create new games using PrEditor.  ;D As far as it needing to be an "action RPG", I think he probably meant "an isometric RPG", as opposed to a game with full camera control.

Offline Layabout

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »
Yes, Torchlight uses Ogre3d which is an open source 3D engine. It handles the visuals, where game-makers can develop genre specific game code that utilizes the engine for rendering the game.It's pretty advanced, and they use it at my Uni for the Programming course.

http://www.ogre3d.com

ECDINOVO

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 04:30:02 PM »
I have always been intrigued by the idea of an unconventional RPG that possesses few or none of the traditional RPG elements. As someone mentioned, it’s not a game engine issue, it’s a game design issue. I think the trick is really in the balance of elements – and not being damned by the details seems like a gargantuan task.

Over the years I have grown to appreciate Deus Ex’s game design more and more. If you read the postmortem you’ll see that they strived to deliver three paths to overcoming all challenges: story/exploration, skills, and combat. I enjoyed the story-driven paths the most. They did a good job of urging you not to over-rely on the combat option by facing you off against overwhelming odds at times and limiting your ammunition. Unfortunately, the skills path was somewhat weak. Not all skills were really that useful and the player wouldn’t realize this until later in the game; and there was no way to transfer expertise in one skill to another. By the end of the game the gameplay was somewhat formulaic and the design conventions were quite obvious, quite exposed to the player.

My point is that it is so hard to balance elements. If you have story paths that are too obvious, the player may never use anything else. On the other hand, most games err on the side of making combat the most effective route (especially early in the game). So, I hope that if WadjetEye Games embarks on an RPG they’ll do something completely different altogether. Maybe an adventure RPG with different branching routes that are solved via story, exploration, items, or puzzles and gets rid of the tired, cliché combat and skills paths entirely.

Just my ruminations on this topic,

-Ed
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:54:19 AM by ECDINOVO »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Deus Ex!  I really enjoyed that game, And yes.  I was one of those suckers who put a lot of points into the swimming skill, because I wanted to explore underwater. Little did I know that swimming only made up a tiny part of the game, and maxing out the skill was pointless.  I ended up having to use a cheat code to pump up the abilities that were actually useful so I could play the game properly.  Like that remote-controlled camera orb that you could fly around and zap people with.  That thing was awesome.

I have still yet to play Torchlight!  I've discovered Jeff Vogel's games, which are keeping me busy.  And Dragon Age.  And, you know, that Puzzle Bots thing. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:54:40 AM by DaveGilbert »

Offline cycyx

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 05:22:42 AM »
Hmmm... The Avernum serie. Top notch. Bad graphics, but very good story telling!

Dave, have you tried Eschalon (http://basiliskgames.com/book1.html) or even Arcanum (loved the universe)?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:04:02 PM by cycyx »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 09:05:34 AM »
re: avernum.  Yeah, his graphics are kind of dated but play for awhile and you'll totally forget about them.  Course, people often say the same thing about my games! 

I've played the demo of Eschalon but have yet to buy a full copy.  As for Arcanum... heck yess!  If I ever get the ability to enter a parallel universe, I want to go to one where Troika never went out of business.  Arcanum and Vampire: Bloodlines were both fantastic games.  Such a shame nobody bought them. :(

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
Old thread, but some interesting news.  Since the release of Puzzle Bots, my wife Janet has been busy at work making an isometric RPG engine.  This RPG game won't be the next game we release (it will take too long for that!) but will be a game or two after.