Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Disapointed about Legacy  (Read 5123 times)

Offline Eawyne

• View Profile
Disapointed about Legacy
« on: November 22, 2009, 03:03:28 AM »
Well, I just finished the game and I have to say I'm a bit disapointed. The ending is a bit abrupt (be it the Deacon's case or the game in itself) and even if the game wasn't that expensive, I recenlty bought some indie games the same price or less that offered quite much experience.

The game was very good in its making, with voices, neat graphics good ideas like the notebook, but it lacks some replay value to me, and the case really was too short, and fast-handled. I'd rather seen lot more days, places or whatever instead of voices.

Just my opinion though ; I really think there was a great job popped in the game, but I won't make another step for the other games of the serie...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:05:30 AM by Eawyne »

Offline Stee

• Stephen Campbell
    • View Profile
    • Stee Campbell - Portfolio
Re: Disapointed about Legacy
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:54:29 AM »
This is a shame. The games get better throughout the series. Blackwell Legacy was only the 2nd game released, and a whole new story compared to the first (the shivah). Unfortunately I have to be honest and say you probably picked the wrong game to judge the series on.

Another thing is that you also bought a point and click adventure game. As I'm sure you will agree replay value is somewhat limited in this genre. There is very little that can be done to extend the longevity of this type of game, however I think this reflects fairly in the price. The game is more than worth it for $9.99 (6 here). You can't even buy a console game for that price.

Whilst I understand some games are not for everyone, may I please point out other titles by the same developer that I consider worthwhile having a go at : The Shivah, and Emerald City: Confidential. Emerald City had a much larger budget spent on it than any other game, thanks to external support and investment. I'd also consider it much longer than Blackwell Legacy.

The Shivah was a very entertaining game, regardless of your faith. You play a rabbi set out to discover the truth behind a congregation members death. As crazy as the story sounds, this game was a hidden gem and I'd gladly recommend it over Blackwell Legacy. Furthermore its half the price and you really can't moan at $4.99 price tag.

Don't forget all games have demo's. They should be your first point of call before buying a game.

If you are genuinely interested in games of the yesteryear there are quite literally tons of decent titles available. If you want anymore information you are more than welcome to contact me.

Offline Eawyne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:43:09 AM »
I usually pick up demos to test the games I'm interested in ^^ I tested Legacy Unbound and as it seemed the second one, I opted for the first episode (that seems quite logical =P - and I read that the demo of Legacy is quite frustrating in the sens it reveals a lot of the story).

About replay value : I own any Lucas Arts game that's point'n clickin' : there definitively is a huge gap between production involvement, but I play those games a lot each time : their scenario, "screenplay", dialogues, whichever just are fine tuned as they span in lenght. I don't find it redundant to play them over and over again like a good book because of the lenght of the story in it's entirety.

For Legacy, considering the lenght of the game, some dialogues just take to much place to introduce a lot, for almost nothing. Like when Rosa tries to get to her appartement, or the Doctor's conversation. I suppose it helps us to grasp the second and third game, but then again, it's like splitting one game in three tiny bits.

Again, it must be bound to costs, production and money - after all, I don't run after indies for blockbusters - but unlike many other little games I've played (Eufloria, Osmos, Project Aftermath, A reckless disregard to gravity, I-fluid, City Rain...), Legacy just didn't grasp me enough, mostly because of what I'm telling just above.

So, while not denying the game's great choices of gameplay and background, I felt disapointed and that doesn't make me confortable with the idea to pick previous games and be disapointed in just the same way...

green_nu

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 06:50:39 PM »
To each his/her own, but I found the experience of Legacy to be worth the money.  I personally pay for an experience, rather than X length of gameplay, and I like to support developers that make games like the Blackwell series.  We'll never see more in any kind of timely manner if they aren't supported, and $10 is really a drop in the bucket for a well written visual and auditory interactive entertainment experience in my view.  I won't debate about price, because that's a dead-end, I just view things a different way and heartily enjoyed Legacy and Unbound, and am just into Convergence (and it's awesome already!).  I'd say give Unbound a shot, especially now when it's 50% off for the holidays!