Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Epiphany Crash  (Read 449 times)

Offline AlphaHelix

• View Profile
Epiphany Crash
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:40:07 PM »
Spoiler warning.

Towards the end of the game when I go to use Joey's tie on Madeline in Roseangela's body outside of the church it crashes. I get the following error message. Thank you for any help you can provide.

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x0050594B ; program pointer is +5, ACI version 3.21.1115, gtags (39,210)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

in "GlobalScript.asc", line 2891

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   

Offline cattywampus

• View Profile
Re: Epiphany Crash
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 11:28:33 PM »
Registered to say I got the same error at the same place. I hope there's a fix, I really want to finish the series!  :(

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
Hello! Apologies for the late response as I have been out of town. The error is not one I have seen before. "Exception" errors are usually to do with the engine and not the code itself. I have asked for assistance over on the AGS forum (thread is here). Hopefully someone will have an answer! Most likely it is some obscure conflict with a Windows update.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »
Could I ask one question - is this bug repeatable? Does it happen every time? There should be an autosave somewhere near that position.

Offline cattywampus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »
It was totally repeatable. I saved right before I used the tie and it crashed every time. Now...I reloaded at the autosave at your suggestion, skipped through the dialogue, and it went just fine. I reloaded my earlier, bad save, and it worked fine then too.  :o COMPUTERS. The darnedest things.

Other details: I'm running Windows 10 (not my choice xp), had tried verifying the integrity of the installation via Steam, uninstalling and reinstalling, and it literally always crashed until just now. Also, I notice the error message I got was sometimes identical to OP's, but sometimes the gtags part was gtags (48, 1) instead of (39,210). Not sure if that means anything.

Anyway, thank you for responding!  :D

Edited to add: Hrm. I closed the game, reopened it, tried the bad save again, and it still crashes there. Luckily I now have a save past that point, but whatever's causing the hiccup still exists in there somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:50:06 PM by cattywampus »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »
Phew! It worked. I still don't know the cause of the problem, but at least the symptoms have been successfully treated.

I am guessing it is a Windows 10 thing, since nobody has reported this until now.

According to the AGS devs, the important part of the error message was "program pointer is +5".    So your errors were pretty identical. I assume. :x

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the game! I'll keep an eye on this.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:56:47 PM by DaveGilbert »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 06:20:38 AM »
Sorry to double-post. Would you happen to have that save-file handy? The AGS dev wants to reproduce the crash under the debugger to see if there's a way to fix it.

Offline cattywampus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 01:53:24 PM »
Everything from my savegame folder's in here, and I also threw in the CrashInfo file: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qyx4w3zju2twbl3/AAA_nBKd7w20XHQTiRxVXO5la?dl=0

The filenames are greek to me, but ingame, the one right before the crash is called sarah, and the one right after is Save_2. The others are random elsewhere.

Hope you guys can figure it out. :)

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 02:11:53 PM »
Thank you so much! I've passed the files along.

Online Dory69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Today at 10:11:28 PM »
Hopefully someone will have an answer,  animeyt