Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Blackwell Epiphany: a missed oportunity for a perfect ending? [SPOILERS]  (Read 860 times)

Offline Thainen

• View Profile
I have just finished the Blackwell series, and, while it has its flaws, it's one of the best Point&Click adventures I've ever seen. As always, it's the ending to a long-running series that upsets people -- I've even seen some commenters calling it a "Mass Effect 3" ending. I feel the ending is solid, but it feels, for the lack of a better word, disjointed. While watching it, I felt like the whole story was going towards something that would tie it up perfectly -- but it never happened.
The series started on the Brooklyn bridge, with Rosa scattering Lauren's ashes. It ended with the same scene -- Joey scattering Rosa's ashes. But... What happens next? Joey is alive, but he's a man from nowhere with no money, no documents and no supernatural powers. What is he going to do for the rest of his life, flip burgers for a minimum wage? He tells us the city needs a Bestower, but doesn't have one. The ghosts will keep appearing, while Joey has nowhere to go and nothing to do. It's not just a tragic ending, it's a story that ended up nowhere. The world after Rosa is empty.
The ending scene on the bridge, while mirroring the beginning scene of the first game, lacked one crucial detail: it didn't end with a spirit appearing for the one who has scattered the ashes. In the beginning, Rosa was approached by Joey's ghost. Now that Joey is alive, and Rosa is dead, and the world still needs an expert Bestower... The very structure of the story begs that he is approached by Rosa's ghost! Joey and Rosa switching places would wrap everything up absolutely perfectly, creating a symmetric composition and a satisfying bittersweet ending.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
All I will say is that

A- the pairing of Madeline and Michael shows that there are other bestowed out there and

B- you are really going to love one of the companion characters in the upcoming unavowed.

Offline Richardf8

• View Profile
Hmm...  Joey's not unskilled.  He's got enough business acumen and tailoring skills to go back to his old job, which he can actually do because there are people who actually like to buy (for top dollar) and wear stuff in the styles that Joey knows how to  make.

As for identity, I think Durkin can fix that.  Given the backstory that is revealed if you look at the cut comissioner scene in the Commentary, I think that Durkin would be quite prepared for this  possibility.

So, imagine, if you will, Joey doing custom tailoring, a little contract work, out of a shop on DeLancey street.  Maybe he takes the Blackwell name as his  own so it doesn't die out with Rosa.