Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Kathy Rain  (Read 2048 times)

Offline LilyLaura18

• View Profile
Kathy Rain
« on: January 07, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'd seen Kathy Rain floating around the internet for some time and finally decided to give it a try. When I did I was surprised to hear/see that a lot of WadjetEye regulars were involved in its production/VO.

Anyway, while I thoroughly enjoyed the game, I'm at a loss as to the final reveals. We beat the bad guy...I guess? There're a lot of unanswered questions and in the end, I'm not sure the mystery was solved. I mean, what was it that made Joseph and Eileen catatonic? What cured Eileen? What was the Crimson One's objective, and what exactly did Father Isaac do to his victims? Why didn't he harm Jimmy the same way he harmed Joseph? What happened with Lily? Is the Crimson One a person, or some kind of supernatural being? What about the three orbs? And the kid...was he real? Also, the entire nightmare sequence in the sinkhole. Was that all supernatural? Were those ghosts? Was Kathy high on all the flowers and hallucinating everything? So many questions. Kathy doesn't seem to understand what's going on either, but she doesn't seem particularly bothered by it.

So, any fan theories? What did you all think of the game?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:07:53 PM by LilyLaura18 »

Offline Rocka3030

• View Profile
Re: Kathy Rain
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 04:39:05 PM »
I personally enjoyed the game,I think the VO's worked well with the characters. The Crimson One was just straight spooky, while it made me wonder if everyone saw him when they were high on the red scythe flower? I believe father Isaac was brainwashed himself, then started the cult for the Crimson One.

Hopefully they will make a nice sequel in the near future  8)

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 10:57:31 AM »
I did the VO directing for this game and spoke to Joel a lot about the plot. And even now, I'm STILL not sure what entirely was going on! :)

Offline LilyLaura18

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:09:08 AM »
I did the VO directing for this game and spoke to Joel a lot about the plot. And even now, I'm STILL not sure what entirely was going on! :)

A sequel is definitely in order. Hopefully sales will pick up and it'll happen.

Offline megazver

• @captainperson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 06:24:23 PM »
I believe this is the author's current project:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53552.0

Offline Tigrou

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 03:07:28 PM »
I did try Kathy Rain and I've found it executed well enough to be a decent time killer, but honestly I find the whole paranormal / "weird outworldly things happen and breaches appear in the fabric of reality" trope really tired at this point (up to the point of caricature, such as the dialogue with "Cocky"). Oh, and not to mention the inevitable confrontation of the hero with her painful past memories because, well, every hero has to bear the scar of family tragedies endured in her childhood, right?...

I prefer when adventure game authors explore less traveled topics (see Grundislav). Kathy Rain almost felt like a Blackwell fangame (the whole family madness thing).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:09:37 PM by Tigrou »