Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Problems with freezing/lag  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Mitzos

• View Profile
Problems with freezing/lag
« on: October 31, 2016, 12:17:36 PM »
i do not know why, but all your games (and by all i mean the 10 that i played) are lagging... every 30 secs the game just freezes for 5 secs and then moves on again... this is driving me crazy, no other game is doing this, so i know it has to be a problem either on your side, or on my side specifically with your games... so, any suggestions on where the problem lies?
i am playing on an ASUS K53SV, connected to my HD TV... this problem keeps persisting even after i formatted my hard drive and installed a fresh version of win 7 (professional)
my laptop is more than capable to handle all these games... i can't find ANYTHING on this topic in this forum, so pls help...

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with freezing/lag
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »
Hmm. I'm curious if it's our games specifically or all games made with the AGS engine.

You say you're connected to an HDTV, which makes me wonder if there is some kind of lag within that connection. Have you tried playing on a standard monitor and see if the game runs normally?

Also, are you running any video recording software (like FRAPS) while playing? I know that really slows down the games when I play.

-Dave

Offline Mitzos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 12:31:48 PM »
yes i tried it with my laptop too, cause technobabylon gave me some fullscreen problems at first with my tv that i had to fix, so at least this game is behaving the same as with my tv connected... it seems like the game wants to load something but needs some time...
no i am not recording anything, though i thought about recording it to show it to you...
thank u for the quick reply!!

EDIT: i even tried to close everything that could be using much of my cpu/ram/graphics memory... but nothing helps...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:41:38 PM by Mitzos »

Offline Mitzos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 05:58:36 AM »
ok, i tried tempering with the sprite cache, and it seems when i set it to 10 the problem seems to occur MUCH lesser... this definitely helped! my graphics card should be able to handle 20 mb though... maybe the problem lies with me cause my laptop uses an intel graphics chipset AND an nvidia gt540... maybe the games use my intel chipset, and maybe i need to set it up better... i will try and let u know

Offline Mitzos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 06:19:00 AM »
omg i really feel stupid now... this WAS the problem... after goin into my nvidia menu, i selected the preferred GPU to "high performance nvidia" instead of "automatically"... now everything runs smooth ^^ i do not know why other games did not have these problems though...  thank u for the effort though, i hope this will help others who may have the same problem...

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 07:41:34 AM »
Huh. What an obscure problem (and solutions). I'm going to forward this to the tech folks on the AGS forums. Maybe they'll fix it on a future update.

Offline Mitzos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 10:08:12 AM »
i am really sorry to bother u again, but i think i misjugded my fix... the blackwell series seem to run fine now (at least the first 2 games, i am gonna test all of them) but shardlight keeps freezing up... i will make a video to show u what i mean, i think this will be more helpful...

EDIT:
ok,  i downloaded OBS to record the game, and after 1 hour of downloading dll files and updating my direcxX and so on, i got it to record... but now THE GAME RUNS FINE! now this is kinda embarrassing... for me ^^ anyway, if the problem returns i will tell u, and if not, i feel like a moron haha...

again, i am very sorry if i bothered u with this... thank u very much for your time.  and thank u very much for keeping this genre alive, i love u for this ^^
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:10:04 AM by Mitzos »