Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Temporal inconsequences, or let's do some math together  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Nowhere Girl

• View Profile
Temporal inconsequences, or let's do some math together
« on: September 13, 2016, 07:40:17 PM »
I vaguely remember that someone has already posted something about inconsequences in the Blackwell games (for example one could think that the lawyer whom Lauren Blackwell contacted to formally adopt her niece was Sam Durkin's father... but we know from "Unbound" that he's already dead), but I can't find the topic. I've noticed some temporal inconsequences in the Blackwell games. Four examples:
1. Sam Durkin is about 20 years old in "Unbound". 40 years pass between "Unbound" and "Epiphany", so he would have to be around 60 years old in the latter. He doesn't look like it; 50 years is likely, but not 60.
2. In one of the games - "Convergence"? - Madeline says that she had spent 30 years as the Countess/Jocelyn's guide. And it's not very possible, you must have exaggerated. I don't think a medium could handle it when younger than some 15 years of age. In "Epiphany" we can see Jocelyn at the very end of her time with Madeline, as she rescues Joey as the final ghost and then banishes Madeline. So she must be at least 45 years old and she doesn't really look like that, she rather looks some 10-15 years younger. More importantly: we know that Joey died in 1931. So, Jocelyn would have to be born around 1885 or earlier. Judging from that, in "Unbound" she would have to be about 90 years old and here she most definitely doesn't look like that. Unlike the other Blackwell games, this one doesn't have close-up portraits, but we can see the Countess as a full figure and she looks elderly, yes - but not 90 years old! She can easily outrun Lauren (still, Lauren isn't very fit due to smoking her toxic cigarettes) - physically agile 90-year-old people are very rare; brutally said, most people are dead at that age.
Ten years of cooperation between Jocelyn and Madeline would be much more credible; thus, she would be about 70 years old in 1973 and this would be consistent with what we can see in the game.
The only excuse imaginable is that when you are as old as Madeline, there's not much difference between 10 and 30 years...
3. Danny Marconi would have to be more or less the same age as Joey when they were both alive, so he would have to be born some time around 1905. So in "Deception" he would have quite a few years over 100. Very rare and again  - "he doesn't look like that", he looks more like a typical eighty-something old man.
4. In "Convergence" we learn that Charles Meltzer used to be a journalist once and had known Joseph Mitchell - in the late 1970s, if I remember well. He would have to be not less than some 25 years old at that time, so we can count that he would have to be born around 1953 (by the way, my father was born in 1953, on the day when Stalin died. And he lived only 49 years...), so he would have to be almost 60 years old by the time of "Convergence". He rather looks like 40, 45 perhaps.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:03:32 PM by Nowhere Girl »