Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Calling all Germans...  (Read 10078 times)

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Calling all Germans...
« on: October 10, 2007, 02:15:02 PM »
Or just one German. :)

A German review of the Blackwell series was written on Adventure Europe:

http://www.adventure-eu.com/de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=569&Itemid=1

Are there any kind Germans out there who can help translate?  I'd appreciate it muchly!

Thanks,

-Dave

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
Re: Calling all Germans...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 06:22:03 PM »
I read this (well, that is too strong a work actually since I don't know German) but I did look at it and I did check out the ratings for the different parts of the game. Seems that the German reviewer wasn't too fond of the graphics, whereas the graphics are why I bought The Blackwell Legacy. It was a scene with Rosangela and Joey talking to a ghost in the park and I was hooked. I had to know more about what was going on there!
On the whole I guess I prefer hand-drawn, artistic backgrounds rather then the photo backgrounds, and the moving camera ones don't appeal to me at all. I'm luckier than some gamers though, I don't get motion sickness, but I can see why they have epilepsy warnings with these games!
Just putting in my 25 cents worth, inflation you know.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 07:32:44 PM »
Thanks Mindy. :)  Most people find that scene scary, which is funny because I never thought it was very scary myself.  Whodathunk!

Anyway, I got this translated so nevermind!  I'll be posting it soon.

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 12:43:19 PM »
Scary? That's a surprising reaction from my point of view. I was drawn to the scene because there was something, I don't exactly know how to express it, friendly/kind/helpful/hopeful about it. I wanted to be with them and find out more about what was going on, but I certainly didn't feel afraid or even worried about what it could be. I guess I already liked Joey and Rosa, which for me means I want to know more about them. Which is why I play adventure games in the first place.
Just putting in my 25 cents worth, inflation you know.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 06:10:08 PM »
It's interesting to hear other folks' opinions on various aspects of the game.  By the end, the game is just a bunch of code and pixels to me, so its hard to look at it objectively.  That's why beta testers are awesome. :)

Offline SSH

• Super Scottish Hero
    • View Profile
    • SSH's AGS blog
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 04:35:48 AM »
beta testers are awesome. :)

Thanks, Dave!

redeye

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 02:00:45 AM »
When ever i see u ....You seem like  Scoby character....by face by attitude....whats gone up...

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 10:50:42 AM »
Scoby character?  I'm afraid you've lost me. :) Who is Scoby?

bastardo

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 06:17:19 PM »
Hi, the first page of the review is translated - I might do the other two pages on the weekend^^:

Lead by Davild Gilbert, Wadjet Eye Games created the foundation for an interesting Adventure series called 'A Supernatural Mystery' with 'The Blackwell Legacy (2006)' and 'Blackwell Unbound (2007)'. Currently the series, which was developed utilizing the Adventure Game Studio, is available only in English language. As both of the games are quite similar, this review reviews both in one batch. The following links contain separate screenshots and ratings for the both titles.
[links]
Packaging, Manual and Installation
The game can be ordered as a paid download or as a separate CD-Version on the developers homepage. Installation was without a hitch and takes 240 or 205 Meg for the first or second title respectively. A small writeup of most of the important information of the game can be found in a short README. In the options menu voice, subtitles, an automatical tutorial and a commentary track by Dave Gilbert (more on that later) can be toggled. Apart from that there are additional unlockables, which will be unlocked as the game progresses (or through a special password at the end).
Story and Background
The game is about the legacy of the blackwell family. Female family members of the Blackwell family have to fulfill a special duty. Through the guidance of the ghost of Joey Mallone, who appears at a certain age in their life, they have to lead the lost spirits of deceased people into their afterlife. The story sets in with Rosangela Blackwell, who spreads the remaining ashes of her deceased aunt Lauren from the Brooklyn Bridge in New York. Because of the early death of her parents, aunt Lauren was the only one, who Rosangela could really connect to, although she was lying in coma for a long time before her death. When Rosangela meets the doctor, who treated her aunt in the long years of her coma, Rosangela learns, that her aunt had a mysterious secret, she took with her, when she died. Rosangela uncovers even more hints to this secret in the letters, her aunt left for her. It doesn't take long, until Rosangela - after some serious headaches - discovers the true nature of this dark secret, which put her aunt into the coma and led her grandma to lunacy years ago.

It is very interesting to play through the first part, which mainly focuses on the backstory around the Blackwell family. Rosangela researches the past of her family and gets to know Joey Mallone very soon. The second part is not as fascinating, as it 'only' focuses on the solving of cases, where spirits of deceased people have to be confronted with there own death, to lead them out of this world. The second part is realized as a prequel and introduces also a new main character. The backstory, however, also moves in the background, although the connection with the complete story is always there. According to Dave Gilbert, the second part consists of big chunks of 'flashback'-material, which was produced for the yet unreleased part 3 'The Blackwell Convergence', that never got into the third part, because it would go beyond the scope of the game. Due to the episodic nature of the game, painting the big picture will take a much longer time. The story has a lot of potential and there still remain many questions unanswered. Hopefully the following episodes will be also exciting and focus stronger on the backstory again.

End of page 1

Edit: page 2
Graphics, Sound and Voice Acting

Well to be honest, the low resolution graphics might scare you away at first, but this game proves, that low resolution doesn't necessarily mean bad graphics. The locations and characters were created with a lot of attention to detail, so that the results are really beautiful, although only a handful of pixels are needed to display the screen. The animations, especially the ones of Rosangela, are also top notch. During conversations close-ups of the talking characters are displayed, that show a facial expression adequate to the current situation. Sadly these close-ups are only contained in the first part - they are missing in the second part, which falls short in comparison with the first part in the graphics compartment.

The game has a complete voice dub, which is good to very good, quality-wise. There are a few static noises in the dub of the first part, that however don't matter that much. Rosangela's voice (spoken by Sande Chen) is fitting in really well, but also the remaining voice cast did a good job. The voices are very clear and spoken without strong accents, so that a sparse knowledge of the english language suffices to follow the progress of the game. And if that isn't enough, the optional subtitles help a lot.
In the music department both titles score a good grade, although the background music is written by two different artists and shows a lot of differences between the two titles. The music is atmospheric, varied and fits the locations and the story respectively. Especially in the second part the soundtrack poses as a highlight of the game.

Gameplay
The game is played via a pure Point&Click-Interface, which even enables you to switch between two characters in the second part. Genre-newcomers are offered a comfortable help-function, that explains step-by-step everything there is to know about the controls and the gameplay, while the game progresses. This option can be enabled in the options menu. Another peculiar gameplay element is the inclusion of a notebook, that automatically stores all accumulated information. Two acquired informations can be combined to realize contradictions or coherences in the story, that lead to new topics to talk about (with NPCs) or give access to new courses of action. The inventory can be faded into the upper part of the screen and also gives access to comfortable save and load menus. The game is quite easy and the game duration is about 7 hours for both games combined. A nice addition if the making-of commentary by Dave Gilbert, which can be activated optionally. When activated a lot of background trivia and explanations for the game will be interspersed. This is really interesting and amusing and gives the player an incentive to play the games a second time. Apart from that, there is a lot of bonus features, which will be unlocked upon finishing the game; the required passwords are displayed at the end of the credits. While the first part only offers access to a few outtakes of the voice actors, the second part offers a concept art, additional music, developers commentary and stage directions for the voice recording.

end of page 2

edit: page 3
Conclusions
Already the first two parts of the Blackwell series are well executed adventures and raise hope in interesting sequels. In the course of the first part, the player is introduced into the Blackwell family, whose female members hold the duty to lead deceased spirits out of this world since many generations. Each of these guidances is a separate case and the second part focuses on these cases. Sadly the second part falls short to the first part because of this content-wise. The graphics are quite pixelated because of the low resolution; regardless the game is quite detailed and lovingly designed, so players shouldn't be scared away just because of the low resolution. It's not only the graphics, that make adventures good. Music and voice-wise both parts are excellent. At the moment the game is only available in english, however the complete dialogue is spoken very clearly and quite easy to understand with medium knowledge of the english language, especially with actiavated subtitles. The game experience is enhanced further by the addition of the integrated tutorial, extensive bonus features and the making-of commentary track by Dave Gilbert, which can all be optionally activated and pop-up while playing the game. Both parts have a pure Point&Click interface and are quite easy difficulty-wise. The playtime of the first part is about 4 hours and additional 3 hours for the second part. Technically speaking both parts were flawless.
If are able to speak english, you shouldn't be scared away by the low resolution graphics, because then you would miss out on a great adventure series.

end of review.

Bye all^^
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 07:03:50 PM by bastardo »

MichaelS

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 07:39:08 PM »
Hi there,

the above mentioned review is online again, you can find it here:
http://www.adventures-united.com/index.php/reviews-a-previews/reviews/4-review-blackwell-1-2

Meanwhile there is also a review on "The Blackwell Convergence" available, which contains an English language summary (right after the review grade box):
http://www.adventures-united.com/index.php/reviews-a-previews/reviews/22-review-blackwellconv

Michael  :)