Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: scandinavian horizon  (Read 10272 times)

rabbit

scandinavian horizon
« on: September 24, 2007, 05:25:39 AM »
Hi Dave
Thought it might be funny for you to just look at (I assume you can't read it)  this little article  taken from Swedens second largest daily. It's about indiegames.
http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/noje/did_14583194.asp

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: scandinavian horizon
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 07:18:08 AM »
Hi Rabbit,

Neat!  I have no idea what it says, obviously. :)  I see Greg Costikiyan's name though, so I assume it has something to do with Manifesto games?

-Dave

rabbit

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 09:34:59 AM »
Well Dave, it's an interview with both greg and you ;) anyway, so it says. Greg about the indiescene general and Dave Gilbert about Shivah and successors. He mentions your NewYork-accent. Telephone-interview?

Offline DonRex

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • North By Sound | Audio Productions |
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:38:27 AM »

Yeah, this was the interview I was supposed to translate for Dave! Darn it!

I promise I'll do it very soon, Dave. Unless of course Rabbit wants to do it? :D

/Tom..

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:18:46 AM »
Well Dave, it's an interview with both greg and you ;) anyway, so it says. Greg about the indiescene general and Dave Gilbert about Shivah and successors. He mentions your NewYork-accent. Telephone-interview?

Haha.  I don't even remember this!  I definitely would appreciate a translation, if anyone is willing. :)

-Dave

rabbit

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 03:07:10 PM »

Yeah, this was the interview I was supposed to translate for Dave! Darn it!

I promise I'll do it very soon, Dave. Unless of course Rabbit wants to do it? :D

/Tom..

Go ahead Thomas, every dane should try a bit of swedish now and then ;D

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 06:55:07 PM »
Well, that was an interesting look at a Swedish website. I did recognize the screenshot of The Shivah and another one of The Blackwell Legacy. The rest was all Greek to me, wait a minute here, that's not true, I would recognize the Greek alphabet. Sororities and Fraternities use it, don't they? Anyway, I did see Dave Gilbert's name and Wadjet Eye Games mentioned a few times. Also Sierra Online and LucasArts. English, I understand.
Just putting in my 25 cents worth, inflation you know.

Offline snarky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 03:14:58 PM »
Indie games "take out the curves" [some Swedish idiom that I donít know how to translate]

Greg Costikyan has had enough of the games industry. He loathes "the cowardly conservatism born by million dollar budgets." Thatís why he started a game publisher.

When did you last play an adventure game where you were a Rabbi on the Lower East Side, struggling to keep your faith, your congregation and your synagogue, while simultaneously solving a murder mystery? Never?

Then youíve never played The Shivah from Wadjet Eye Games, one of many examples from a dawning independent scene that is pushing the boundaries of the game medium.

The Shivah was released last year, and is one of the games distributed by Manifesto Games, an online store and gathering place for players and creators of independent games that was founded by game designer and industry dropout Greg Costikyan.

- Iíve been concerned over the state of the games industry for several years, he says, speaking on the telephone from New York, where he lives and runs Manifesto Games.

- People donít think fresh any more, but rely on established genres and franchises. In the nineties the development budgets were a few hundred thousand dollars, now theyíve reached ten or twenty million. That means people donít dare or canít afford to try new things.

When Greg Costikyan started in the games industry, a development budget wasnít bigger than what it took to pay for some notebooks and a few monthsí pizza deliveries. Thatís when he fell in love with the game medium. He started designing games in the 70s, before PCs, and among the early games he created were RPGs like Paranoia and Star Wars: The Role Playing Game.

But as budgets have escalated, he feels that the medium has stagnated, and two years ago, when Costikyan was working on Nokiaís game effort, heíd had enough, quit, and started Manifesto Games. To set the tone he wrote "The Manifesto manifesto" where he opened a frontal assault on what he considers an intellectually bankrupt industry.

-We desperately need a real indie scene, comparable to what we have in film and music. Thatís probably the only thing that can shake up the industry. And I actually believe one is forming, says Greg Costikyan.

The first person to agree is Dave Gilbert, the creator of The Shivah. Inspired by the old adventure games made by LucasArts and Sierra Online in the early nineties, he started putting together original work, using the Adventure Game Studio tool. Recently he released the adventure The Blackwell Legacy, which is a ghost story where he turns a bitter and reclusive woman into a reluctant hero, in contrast to the macho men who usually fill that role.

Dave Gilbert has just begun working full time as a developer in his one-man company Wadjet Eye Games, based in his East Village apartment, and in his nasal New York accent he describes his passion for the medium.

-Iíll never get rich doing this. My games are far too personal to ever go mainstream. But if I can just continue making games and pay the rent, Iím happy.

His next project is a sequel to The Shivah, which will delve deeper into the Jewish culture in New York. Dave Gilbert has no doubt that he has found the right tool to tell stories about religion, relationships and the difficulty of finding your place in the world.

-The games medium has a unique ability to engage the player in choices and actions. Games that really succeed can convey emotions and human relations in a way that no other medium can match, he says.

[Caption:] In the game The Shivah, a New York Rabbi fights to keep his faith while simultaneously solving a murder mystery.

[Caption:] In The Blackwell Legacy, the reluctant hero is a reclusive woman.

[Sidebar:]
-Gametunnel is a site that reviews and covers independent games
-Download Adventure Game Studio for free, an application to create your own adventure games. There is also a forum where developers exchange experiences.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 03:17:20 PM by snarky »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 03:38:27 PM »
...nasal new york accent?  Hm. 

Anyway, thanks Snarky! 

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 04:50:29 PM »
Hi snarky,
Many thanks for your neat translation of the Swedish article. I enjoyed reading it just now and finding out what it was all about. The few English words I picked out really didn't tell me much.
Maybe "take out the curves" means that so many of today's big budget games have put in high-tech "curves" that distract from the real game rather than add to it. At least, I think they have and I'm not happy about it. I want more games like the Wadjet Eye Games, all three of them were such a great delight to play.
Right now I have one of the biggies on my computer. After waiting months for it and reading about the story which sounded very interesting, I was eager to play it. "Was" is the key word here, now that I've started it and have played it for a short time, I find myself putting off playing it. Frankly, I'm bored with it. I was never bored with the Blackwell games, or The Shivah, even when I was stuck and going over the scenes trying to find the clues to move on. Okay, I guess I'm not emotionally invested in this biggie game and really don't care all that much about the character I'm playing, poor guy, or what happens to him.
Just putting in my 25 cents worth, inflation you know.

Offline jgilberg

• PF Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 11:51:29 PM »
Dave-

Your accent is way more nasal and jewish than mine. I bet you say "buttah" a lot too.

~Julie

rabbit

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 11:45:56 AM »
"take out the curves" or "ta ut svšngarna" simply means (and I use a phrase from the excellent translation); pushing the boundaries.