Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: The Blackwell Convergence  (Read 34089 times)

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
The Blackwell Convergence
« on: September 13, 2007, 07:54:34 PM »
I have just finished playing Blackwell Unbound. Checked out the photo album and saw some great concept art for a game titled: The Blackwell Convergence. Already I'm sold on it! I know, I know, I'm totally rushing things, but I can't help myself. Blackwell Unbound was so good and then I see the art work for a coming game which has me absolutely drooling. (Pause ... wipes mouth with hankie!) I will be patient though because I do want you guys to do your thing in the way you know best so I will try to stay out of the way. Heartfelt thanks for the past 3 games and another thanks for the yet-to-be game!
Just putting in my 25 cents worth, inflation you know.

Shany

Re: The Blackwell Convergence
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:49:11 AM »
I can't wait for Convergence either! It will be a while until it's complete, though, and who knows if I'll have the time to play it by then... I will pre-order it as soon as possible, though.

In the meanwhile I'm making many crazy theories about the series. I think I need someone to talk to about some of them or I'll go crazy myself.

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 02:49:40 PM »
Hey, Shany,
So how crazy can theories be anyway? My curiosity is going crzy (typo, but I think I'll leave it, looks about how I feel)trying to figure out whatever you could be thinking!

Shany

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 06:35:50 AM »
OK, so they're not really crazy... I'm just crazy for thinking about it so much. :D

Still, here's an example:

SPOILER

Was the Countess really dead at the end of Unbound? From the concept art it appears that her ghost will be in Convergence, yet Joey says there was no ghost. He could've been lying, but that doesn't make sense.
Her ghost also wears different clothes, but that doesn't mean anything, I think.
It could be that the Countess has 'special' status due to what happened to her, so we have no way of knowing until the next game.

And this is just one question out of many...

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 03:27:39 PM »
Hi Shany,
I can certainly understand thinking about Convergence as I am too! I really like the concept art for the game. I can't remember seeing anything on the Countess, but I could have and just don't recall it now. Maybe Joey lied about there not being a ghost to make Lauren feel better. And to end the game at that point. Otherwise, Joey and Lauren would have had to save her maybe? Or will that be part of Convergence? And why did Joey say at the end of Unbound that it was a bad idea for Lauren to phone Jack? I thought it was a good idea myself.
Can you believe this? I just read the whole 9 page thread in Hints at GameBoomers to connect with Blackwell Unbound once more. I kept wanting to break in and help them too, but in the end they all finished the game, but the best part was to read how much they were all liking the game! Just like me when I was playing it.

Shany

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 05:38:45 PM »
I'm happy to see alot of people like this game too. This means alot of people will buy Convergence as well, and Dave can keep on making these games!

About the ghost: If Joey lied and the Countess' ghost appeared right under Lauren's balcony, wouldn't Lauren see it eventually? Unless the ghost appeared and then moved somewhere else, but then why would it move away if all the Countess could think about at the end was 'helping' Lauren? Maybe her mind snapped back when she died... but no, that wouldn't be very interesting if this was the case.

About Lauren calling Jack: To Joey this was a bad idea - he saw what happened to Patricia when she tried to act like everything was normal. He was probably scared that it'll happen to Lauren (and he was right).

Oh, and here's something weird I noticed - I just reread the letters in Blackwell Legacy. The person who sent the last letter (about Lauren adopting Rosa) is called John Durkin. Must've been another John Durkin. :)

And yes, I do think about these games too much.

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 04:01:14 PM »
Hmm, I'm thinking about that "too much" and wondering why it is that Blackwell Legacy and Unbound stay in my mind while all these other games are also out there to be played. Games with a lot of new technology going for them, and much fancier graphics with shadows yet and other realistic touches. But here's these 2 games with old-style graphics and almost nothing in the way of inventory (my kleptomania at taking everything that isn't nailed down doesn't get a workout here, not even one measly stick or ladder) and no horror, thriller chills (even if Joey is a ghost!) yet they really, truly captured my game-playing heart. I guess it must be the characters and their stories that make these games special as they are all that is left. That must also be why "Convergence" is also on my mind since I have seen the early art for the characters in it. Also I trust Dave for the rest. He will make a great game, I'm sure.
Oh, one other thing just came to mind, he does a fantastic job of getting just the right voice actors who take the time to really make their character real, they don't just read the words any old way. I have a tin ear, so the music and voices actually don't always register with me, so the fact that they did in these games must mean something!

Shany

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 10:40:48 AM »
I agree with the voice acting and directing being excellent. It's so important, and you can hear what a difference it makes in the clips on the  extras section.

These games are stuck in my head because I like the characters, and since there's a mysery surrounding these character's lives (and deaths) I keep thinking about them.

By the way, did you read Dave's interview on I-Luv-Games? (http://www.i-luv-games.com/articles.html). He says some interesting stuff regarding future Blackwell games.

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 04:32:34 PM »
Many, many thanks for that link to I-Luv-Games, Shany! That was a great interview with Dave, and yes, I was like very happy to read about future Blackwell games. Rosa returning and going different places sounds so interesting I can already see myself ordering the game!  :)
I don't want to be too eager though because I certainly wouldn't want Dave to end up too coffee-addicted and bleary-eyed. Still, all his efforts will be greatly appreciated and I do want him to know that, and I'm sure you agree, right?
The reviewer at I-Luv-Games gave a "B" to the graphics for Blackwell Unbound, but I personally would give the graphics a big "A+" as I thought the art work was perfect and just right for the whole mood and feel of the game. Anything else is unthinkable as far as I'm concerned. All in all, I would have rated the whole game as "A++" or a 12 out of 10, or 6 stars. Am I going overboard do you think?

Shany

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 05:03:31 PM »
LOL. I understand your excitement. I was like this after I finished Blackwell Legacy for the first time. These games have that something about them.
Unbound is very good in my opinion, but I'm disappointed we didn't learn more about Lauren - she's such an interesting character, yet we know almost nothing of her life before she met Joey.
As for the graphics - it took me some time to get used to them - they're so different from Legacy. But they're very good and in a few cases fit perfectly.

About the interview - I'm mostly curious about Dave saying there will be more playable characters. This can mean a whole lot of things...

We need a bigger fanbase, though. More people to speculate about the series.
We need it to be as popular as Harry Potter! :D

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 11:03:14 PM »
Wow, wouldn't that be something! However, fame has a price and I'm not at all sure it would be such a good thing. But I certainly would like to get more gamers involved with the Blackwell series, maybe a big fan base like Myst? What am I saying? I don't like Myst at all, tried playing it one day and traded it in for another game (Gabriel Knight 2, as a matter of fact, which is one of my all-time faves!) What I mean, of course, is that I would like that kind of ongoing interest in the game and its characters. As you say, "More people to speculate about the series."
About Lauren, I thought she seemed to be someone who was sort of doing what she had to do (be a medium and Joey's helper) without being too enthusiastic about it. Considering her mother went insane trying to ignore Joey, I would say she didn't have a very happy childhood, but at least, she did come to terms with being a medium. Then later, when Rosa was 5, she took care of her as best she could until she ended up, if I recall correctly, in a mental hospital herself. Anyway, I just like the way all the characters work together and somehow draw me into their concerns or whatever. The conversations (and that great voice acting) keep me interested every minute of the game, even when I go over and over something.
Some gamers seem to enjoy the locations and great houses and scenery, but I feel that I am a gamer, not a tourist! Others immerse themselves in horror and scary themes and dark graphics in a first person format and enjoy it, but I find myself bored stiff. It's a game, I really am not afraid that the spooky thingy will get me even when it does and I have to start over, which is totally boring and mindless. Oh well, to each his own!

Shany

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 06:44:53 AM »
We seem to have a similar taste in games - GK2 is one of my favourites as well (and my first ever adventure game).

As I said before, for me it's the chracters that can really make a game. An annoying or boring main character can really ruin a game - look at how many people dislike "The Black Mirror" just because of it's main character.

simon_blackwell1

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 06:08:34 AM »
Looks to me from the concept art that the journalist from unbound will be making a re-appearance as a ghost too.....

Shany

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 10:47:33 AM »

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 08:09:27 PM »
Those 2 comparison images really are great, Shany. I never did spot the resemblance myself when looking at the concept art although I tried. My memory for faces is dim even in real life, uh, especially in real life!