Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Did this game break even?  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Mathiasb82

• View Profile
Did this game break even?
« on: September 30, 2015, 01:58:02 PM »
Despite positive reviews and a 97% userscore on Steam the game only has 4818 owners on Steamspy.com.

In my world - this must be wrong. The game got positive reviews and looks pretty darn good - I haven't compleated it yet but as far as I've gotten things seeem just plain unfair as I think the developers as well as the publisher deserves more from this gem.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:59:37 PM by Mathiasb82 »

Offline Miranda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Did this game break even?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »
You should also keep in mind that it is being sold on more than just Steam. Some people really prefer GOG or direct downloads (or just really dislike Steam), so don't discount those methods of sale as not a factor.

I don't think that game devs usually choose disclose financial information, but the fact that Dave develops and publishes games for a living and he isn't freaking out is probably a good sign :) It doesn't hurt that, as you say, the game has been well-received.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:14:40 AM »
Oh, freaking out is part of the package. I've learned to live with a basic level of constant background panic.

I've written about Steam Spy on the Wadjet Eye blog. In a nutshell, it's very easy to look at the data there and jump to the completely wrong conclusions. "Only" 4000 copies sold is quite good for a tiny shop like ours. And like Miranda says, that's only the sales on Steam. GOG easily doubles that. And our own direct sales, while not huge, are not insignificant either.

I've also learned to not think of a success based on how well a game does at launch. We are well aware of what we do. These are indie adventure games. They aren't going to set the world on fire. But that said, they DO sell quite consistently for a long time. So we rely on the long tail. Games released a decade ago still bring in money.  So our business model is not "MUST SELL GAME AND EARN MONEY NOW", but make a game and put it on the end of the long tail so it continues to earn money for us several years in the future.

But to answer your question - yes it more then broke even. :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:52:23 AM by DaveGilbert »

Offline Mathiasb82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 03:53:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies Miranda and Dave. Glad to hear that it made some money. That means you'll continue to develop and publish good games. :) Shardlight looks stunning as well as an offtopic not meant to steal Technobabylons spotlight.