Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Keyboard issue: key presses going into an infinite loop  (Read 3550 times)

Offline LostCore

• View Profile
Keyboard issue: key presses going into an infinite loop
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:27:48 AM »
Hi!
When I try to run the game, as soon as I press any key, the associated key press event just go into an infinite loop and the game become unresponsive.

After some investigation, it seems that the game window loses focus when I press a button (even in fullscreen mode). I tried to run the game in compatibility mode, as administrator and I also unplugged any other input device than the keyboard.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:07:34 AM by LostCore »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [Bug] Keyboard issue: key presses going into an infinite loop
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:57:47 AM »
Hi LostCore. Quick question. Did you activate the Steam overlay? Often the Steam overlay reacts badly with AGS games (especially older AGS games like Gemini Rue) and the "infinite key press" thing is usually one of the results. Pressing the tab key often fixes it. This is assuming you are using Steam, of course. If you are not, then obviously the problem is something else!

Offline LostCore

• View Profile
Re: [Bug] Keyboard issue: key presses going into an infinite loop
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 04:51:56 PM »
Hi LostCore. Quick question. Did you activate the Steam overlay? Often the Steam overlay reacts badly with AGS games (especially older AGS games like Gemini Rue) and the "infinite key press" thing is usually one of the results. Pressing the tab key often fixes it. This is assuming you are using Steam, of course. If you are not, then obviously the problem is something else!

Hi Dave, thanks for the response. No, unfortunately I already disabled the overlay :(

If I alt-tab after the loop beginning, regaining window focus, I can press another key before losing focus again.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 04:56:42 PM by LostCore »

Offline LostCore

• View Profile
Re: Keyboard issue: key presses going into an infinite loop
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:14:35 AM »
Solved! A non-windows service was stealing the window focus, specifically Synergy.