Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Some Geography *spoliers*  (Read 2629 times)

Offline IZE

• View Profile
Some Geography *spoliers*
« on: July 14, 2015, 06:21:28 AM »
So after gathering information all over the game, I finally concluded that Newton is situated in current day Somalia. Am i Right? The world must really be in a bad shape i guess

My country; Singapore, apparently got nuked during the Timuhani War. Did we fought against India? Are we part of Greater Han?

Greater Han is apparently modern day Indo-china++ (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar etc) and not PRC apparently. Looks like PRC lost a big chunk of it  in this great war to Greater Han.

The United States isn't so united after all, so parts of it got nuked, but by who? I'm guessing Canada since Alaska got taken over by them?

Russia seems to do fine. Apparently they where the neutral ones?

Nagasaki got nuked twice? Phil said it was nuked just days earlier. Im guessing its realtime.

Is there somewhere i could read on the backstory? Its really compelling and i would love to explore its inner depths!

Offline Technocrat

• View Profile
    • Technocrat Games Homepage
Re: Some Geography *spoliers*
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 04:31:11 AM »
So after gathering information all over the game, I finally concluded that Newton is situated in current day Somalia. Am i Right? The world must really be in a bad shape i guess

You are indeed correct! The area that Newton occupies stretches from Lamu, on Kenya's East coast, to Kismayo in what is currently Somalia. Most of the city's in the Kenya side, and it doesn't stretch very far inland. Initially created as a kind of "free trade area" akin to an African Hong Kong/Shanghai, Newton eventually decided it could do a better job on its own, rather than relying on the goodwill of its parent countries (though really, a lot of it was to do with it mostly being founded by private companies - they saw an opportunity to lower their tax bills and legal responsibilities considerably!)

My country; Singapore, apparently got nuked during the Timuhani War. Did we fought against India? Are we part of Greater Han?

Greater Han is apparently modern day Indo-china++ (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar etc) and not PRC apparently. Looks like PRC lost a big chunk of it  in this great war to Greater Han.

The Timuhani War was between India, the PRC and Pakistan (since "Timuhani" is Hindi for "Three-Way"). It didn't last very long, since all three sides decided that they probably couldn't take much more nuclear bombardment, but it had a significant effect on local politics. With China dazed from the Timuhani war, smaller militant groups seized the opportunity to make a grab for territory.

As for Singapore, it wasn't initially involved in the conflict, doing its best to align itself with other neutral Commonwealth nations in the area. However, China was concerned by the fact that Singapore was not willing to accomodate the PLA's Navy as a base in striking distance of India. Believing that India must have come to an agreement first (which was not the case), the PRC struck first.

Singapore was not absorbed into Greater Han during its expansion, however. It managed to secure a great deal of support (both defensively and economically) from other small-state entities such as Newton.

The United States isn't so united after all, so parts of it got nuked, but by who? I'm guessing Canada since Alaska got taken over by them?

The conflict in the USA was an internal one, the result of a mostly East-West split among states. The Western and Pacific states objected to what they saw to be "pandering" to corporate interest in politics, while the North-Eastern and Atlantic states perceived a dangerous rise in extremism. Alaska did its best to stay out of the argument. It is currently occupied by Canada, in an internationally-approved peacekeeping mission (though the US successor states both keep demanding its "return" to them). Not fancying their chances with either of them, Alaska has been making overtures to Canada, with whom they've become significantly closer since hosting the peacekeepers.

Russia seems to do fine. Apparently they where the neutral ones?

They weren't involved in the conflicts, because it wasn't in their interest to get involved. They're currently suffering a tremendous demographic catastrophe (low birthrate), and while they don't have the kind of manpower necessary to wage war when they want, their position as one of the world's largest oil suppliers gives them the money to pulls strings in other people's politics when they want to. Kind of a Eurasian Saudi Arabia.

Nagasaki got nuked twice? Phil said it was nuked just days earlier. Im guessing its realtime.

Ah, Phil was saying Japan was nuked days earlier, he's referring to Hiroshima. He's saying it like it's merely unoriginal thinking that led them to bomb Japan a second time, rather than strategic concerns.

Is there somewhere i could read on the backstory? Its really compelling and i would love to explore its inner depths!

There isn't at the moment, I'm afraid! A lot of it's in the design documents for planning the game, but perhaps I should write it all down properly somewhere. Although, by not fixing details, it allows room for flexibility when writing things for future games.