Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Latha - That Ungrateful Little Brat! *Heavy Duty Spoilers*  (Read 6749 times)

Offline Sam37

• View Profile
I've been having a ball playing Technobabylon and have almost reached the end.

Unfortunately I had to stop because I got to a part that has filled with a ton of rage.

All centered around Latha, someone I've been empathetic towards and wanted to see her character through to the end as I usually do with characters I care about.

Until...

*Heavy Duty Spoilers*

The start of the final chapter.  And the big reveal that Latha is Regis's daughter, cloned from the original embryo that The Mindjacker destroyed in the previous chapter.

I loved that twist.  It was great.  Wonderful family reunion revelation. 

Then I lost all empathy I had towards Latha.  And that's putting it politely.  In fact, if this forum had no restrictions on language, I would've let loose right now with some...less colorful commentary on what happened next between her and Regis.

Basically, you have the option as Regis to talk to Latha in the core of Central after having rode up the elevator at Falcrum Tower. 

Let me tell you, Latha begins treating Regis like garbage.  The tone of voice, her vindictiveness, etc.  Meanwhile, Regis just turns into a apolgetic doormat.

I understand Regis almost killed her, forced her on the run.  But never have I wanted to grab her by the shoulders, shove her against the wall and shake her while screaming "Listen you angst-spewing, pompous, slum dwelling, Trance Junkie.  Your father just told you he had no idea and was basically blackmailed by A Mindjacker carrying the personality of a former killer colleague.  Above all, he was paralyzed in the previous chapter, helpless witness to the murder of his embryos by said Mindjacker right before his eyes.  And you have the nerve to verbally assault him like that?"

Why doesn't she take that anger out on the people who manipulated Regis and targeted her in the first place?

*End Spoilers*

It was hard for me to witness and I had to quit the game in a huff.  All sympathy for Latha flushed right down the toilet, her pushing the handle.

Reminded me too much of other stories where the strong female character is allowed to do the same thing to a male character.  While the male character just stands there and takes it. 

Triggered me for personal reasons as well.

My hope is Latha can be redeemed because I feel so betrayed.

I'll finish the game soon at some point. 

Offline zach0555

• View Profile
Re: Latha - That Ungrateful Little Brat! *Heavy Duty Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »
The fact that she was raised by the city might have something to do with her personality.

Offline superluser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:22:21 PM »
Then I lost all empathy I had towards Latha.  And that's putting it politely.  In fact, if this forum had no restrictions on language, I would've let loose right now with some...less colorful commentary on what happened next between her and Regis.

Basically, you have the option as Regis to talk to Latha in the core of Central after having rode up the elevator at Falcrum Tower. 

Let me tell you, Latha begins treating Regis like garbage.  The tone of voice, her vindictiveness, etc.  Meanwhile, Regis just turns into a apolgetic doormat.

I had the same reaction as you, initially.  Then I stopped myself to think for a second.  We had been seeing this through Charlie's eyes, and didn't see exactly what Latha was experiencing.  Picture this.

Latha goes through withdrawal earlier in the day, forced back to her meagre existence.  She's forced to run roughshod over her flat to even get out, just as someone else is trying to kill her and destroys her building in an adrenalin-pumping explosion.

She confides in someone who turns out to have plotted to kill her, only to find out that this person is her father.  She's dreamed of a family and some sense of normalcy off and on for years, and she could have had it, but this man never even looked for her.

And now he acts as though she should be happy to see him?  After he did what, exactly, for her?

This is compounded by the fact that Charlie is extremely tone deaf in the scene.  He would do anything for his kids.  He would blow up a building for them.  He knows it.  We know it.  He is driven.  Latha knows nothing of this.

She is tired, excited, jonesing, confused, and all around in a bad place.  I don't necessarily agree with her, but I understand why she might react that way.

Offline Sam37

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:33:53 PM »

I had the same reaction as you, initially.  Then I stopped myself to think for a second.  We had been seeing this through Charlie's eyes, and didn't see exactly what Latha was experiencing.  Picture this.

Latha goes through withdrawal earlier in the day, forced back to her meagre existence.  She's forced to run roughshod over her flat to even get out, just as someone else is trying to kill her and destroys her building in an adrenalin-pumping explosion.

She confides in someone who turns out to have plotted to kill her, only to find out that this person is her father.  She's dreamed of a family and some sense of normalcy off and on for years, and she could have had it, but this man never even looked for her.

And now he acts as though she should be happy to see him?  After he did what, exactly, for her?

This is compounded by the fact that Charlie is extremely tone deaf in the scene.  He would do anything for his kids.  He would blow up a building for them.  He knows it.  We know it.  He is driven.  Latha knows nothing of this.

She is tired, excited, jonesing, confused, and all around in a bad place.  I don't necessarily agree with her, but I understand why she might react that way.

I strongly disagree with putting it all on Regis's shoulders regarding having done nothing for her.

How could he have done something for her if he was kept in the dark about her existence?

It's like I asked before:  Why doesn't Latha take out all her frustrations on the people who were responsible for the mess she was in instead of unloading on Regis as if he were the main villain?

Look, I was sympathetic to her plight and can understand her frustration.  However, the way she just laid into him like that mercilessly and he stands there like a punching bag is when I have to say "Enough!".  This isn't the best way to get me rooting for her redemption in the end.   Not the best way to present "Female Independence/empowerment".

EDIT:  I managed to finish the game a few days ago.  Latha does soften up considerably yet she never apologizes to Regis for her outburst.  Not once.  It's Regis who shoulders the entire burden.

Now I can't play her parts in the story again without thinking of what she did.  It's made me even less sympathetic towards her.

Offline Yuri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 11:22:37 PM »
Sam37, I agree - that behaviour was very impolite on Latha's part.
But I never had any 'empathy' for Latha, so it did not surprise me so :)

She is anti-social, wild and rude brat from the very beginning. When she is locked in CEL cell, all she wants is her precious trance - she does not demonstrate any kindness towards that fellow city-kid officer or the Guy - their relations are only pure business to her. And when she meets Jinsel woman - she is easily gotten into being manipulated. She does anything Jinsil asks her again and again - without getting much in return. So she is not only unpleasant to deal with, but quite stupid as well.

So, I can only hope she is actually softened and smartened in the end - and that living and working with such kind and smart father as Charlie could make a good person out of her after all.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:24:15 PM by Yuri »

Offline Sam37

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 02:09:51 AM »
Sam37, I agree - that behaviour was very impolite on Latha's part.
But I never had any 'empathy' for Latha, so it did not surprise me so :)

She is anti-social, wild and rude brat from the very beginning. When she is locked in CEL cell, all she wants is her precious trance - she does not demonstrate any kindness towards that fellow city-kid officer or the Guy - their relations are only pure business to her. And when she meets Jinsel woman - she is easily gotten into being manipulated. She does anything Jinsil asks her again and again - without getting much in return. So she is not only unpleasant to deal with, but quite stupid as well.

So, I can only hope she is actually softened and smartened in the end - and that living and working with such kind and smart father as Charlie could make a good person out of her after all.

Well with the way things ended, she just proceeds along as if the outburst never happened.  Meanwhile, we are left with Regis still feeling like he's 100% to blame and striving to make things right.  Him forgetting that he was:

A)  Kept in the dark

B)  Manipulated

C)  Literally putting his own life on the line

Never have I despised a character so much after that outburst like I do Latha.  And never have I felt so betrayed after investing so much in someone the writer meant to portray as sympathetic.

I'd like to know just what was going through the mind of the writer when he/she wrote Latha's unrelenting attacks on her own father while leaving no room for Regis to defend himself as a father.

I hoped that Regis's partner, Lao, would tear Latha to pieces.  Nope, she kindly reminds Latha about the sacrifices Regis made.  That's it.

I get it.  Latha's imperfect, flawed, reactive.  But to have her attack Regis and never reflect on it afterwards, not even offer an apology for berating a man whom risked everything to keep her alive, to have Lao "kill her with kindness" and Regis STILL blame himself for everything pushed it too far.

You want better female characters in games?  How about having them suffer some actual consequences for doing something similar to what Latha did to Regis and learning/growing from it?  That's what character development is.  Not this consequence-free trash passed off as such. 

Okay, rant over. 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 02:19:13 AM by Sam37 »

Offline superluser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 10:24:56 AM »
I strongly disagree with putting it all on Regis's shoulders regarding having done nothing for her.

How could he have done something for her if he was kept in the dark about her existence?

I wholeheartedly agree.  He doesn't deserve that blame.  But she doesn't know that he never knew that she existed.

And Regis is taking it because he has conditioned himself to do anything for his children...even taking their abuse.

Offline Sam37

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 11:02:20 AM »

I wholeheartedly agree.  He doesn't deserve that blame.  But she doesn't know that he never knew that she existed.

And yet when Lao and The Central Computer explain Regis' side of the story, her reaction is simply "Oh?".  We get no apology from her, no remorse, nothing afterwards.  Just "Oh?" and a realization. 

[/quote] And Regis is taking it because he has conditioned himself to do anything for his children...even taking their abuse.
[/quote]

Then I can't help but lose sympathy for him too, being so pathetic like that and never growing out of it.  No character development for him either.

Makes it hardly believable that these two are going to be a healthy family unit in the end.

What have you got?

A young girl who's allowed free reign to whine, moan, complain and attack even a member of her own family for situations beyond their control (which would've gotten her a swift kick in the pants otherwise) and knowing they'll get away with it.  Then hiding behind "But I was raised by the city, spent more of my time in Trance.  You can't blame me for it." as an excuse.

A parent who lets their grown daughter walk all over them and will never stand up for himself.  Ironic considering how he's no-nonsense on the job as a Cel Agent yet doesn't extend it to disciplining his own daughter. 

God, it's looking more like Lao is the ONLY level headed character in the end.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:24:38 AM by Sam37 »

Offline superluser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 06:49:59 PM »

Pretty much.  I hesitate to bring up the fact that she is estranged from her parents despite their attempts at reunion, but it sounds like an old wound, not a "bratty" one.

I find stories interesting because people are in bad situations and making bad choices (however well-reasoned they may be).  I'm much more engaged with this type of story than one where everyone acts politely.

Offline Sam37

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 10:48:10 PM »

Pretty much.  I hesitate to bring up the fact that she is estranged from her parents despite their attempts at reunion, but it sounds like an old wound, not a "bratty" one.

I find stories interesting because people are in bad situations and making bad choices (however well-reasoned they may be).  I'm much more engaged with this type of story than one where everyone acts politely.

It's not so much where I'd prefer squeaky-clean characters that act politely.

Flawed characters are a fascination with me as well. 

But if those characters do something really stupid or insult someone that doesn't deserve it, I'd prefer it if they faced some kind of consequence or internal examination.  Then proceed to grow from there instead of feeling their flaws are enough to excuse those actions or words.

Latha did nothing of the sort. 

Offline Nathan Allen Pinar

• Composer & Sound Designer of Gemini Rue and Technobablyon
    • View Profile
    • Nathan Allen Pinard
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 04:21:56 PM »

It's not so much where I'd prefer squeaky-clean characters that act politely.

Flawed characters are a fascination with me as well. 

But if those characters do something really stupid or insult someone that doesn't deserve it, I'd prefer it if they faced some kind of consequence or internal examination.  Then proceed to grow from there instead of feeling their flaws are enough to excuse those actions or words.

Latha did nothing of the sort.

Either way it's fairly realistic if you are going with that idea. There are in fact people that walk all over other people in this world using their flaws as an excuse.

Also, spoiler comment below:
She only begins to try to make amends on the ending of the game. We don't see the rest.

Offline sierramindy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »
I'm surprised by the anger toward Latha and her reaction to Regis: the man who tried to KILL her! Personally I wouldn't be too quick to see his side of things either, and Regis lets her rant and takes it like a father would if he truly loved his daughter. He knows it will take time to work everything out. Or is it just me who knows time heals?
Just putting in my 25 cents worth, inflation you know.