Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: about Joey Mallone [spoilers]  (Read 2538 times)

Offline angie

• View Profile
    • Angie Suarez illustration
about Joey Mallone [spoilers]
« on: May 12, 2015, 07:18:03 AM »
Hey, its been a while since I finished the saga and commented it here but I've been re-playing it again and when I got to the part were you momentarily  play with Madeline and the Countess and have a glimpse of Joe's story something that bugged me a lot came back to my mind.

The first timeI played, when the Countess makes a wild guess about Joey and Danny's relationship it sounded to me as if instead of just being good friends Joey was rather infatuated with him. The kind of "I would give my life if that meant you get to be happy" kind of love.

Playing it a second time has only made my first hunch seem more on point and I can see Joey being in love with Marconni more clearly.

I know he falls in love with Lauren after that but what I'm getting at is... did anyone else feel like there could be enough text to assume a Bisexual!Joey headcanon or... is just me?

Mind you,  I'm used to dive in multiple fandoms and I enjoy reading meta analysis on things of said fandoms so I guess that I'm a bit more vigilant than most people when it comes tu subtext, metaphors and silent storytelling. Maybe all this is just a product of my baggage and media perception and not an accurate vision of the character but it would make me really happy if I'm not the only one to think this way.

If that wasn't the intended reading when these scenes where created I apologize. I just wanted to check.

[edited for spelling and grammar]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:21:24 AM by angie »

Offline Lass

• View Profile
Re: about Joey Mallone [spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 09:45:18 AM »
This post is more than a year old, but oh well.

That line from the countess stood out for me aswell. Though I didn't think this far into it though.
I wonder what other people think...

Offline Attic Ghost

• View Profile
Re: about Joey Mallone [spoilers]
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 06:49:42 PM »
Hello old thread, chiming in to say that this is exactly the reading I got too from that scene?

Like I clicked the line with a chuckle to myself at how it could be read, figuring this was me with my wishful thinking goggles on, reading into something that wasn't there, but the reaction wasn't what I expected ? Like no offended denial or playing it off like a gag in the scene like I usually see when that kind of line comes up, Joey gets annoyed and firmly tells them to leave.

The way Madeline phrases her prompts for the question stand out to me too? "You will feel MUCH better once you do", sure, that could be about realizing he's dead and moving on, but "You think we will not understand? I assure you, we will" sticks out - what would he feel about Danny that they would not understand? What would he be reluctant to share about this?

When Madeline pressed him just before and asked him 'What is Danny to you?' Joey says 'I have no idea what you're talking about', and iirc sounds more annoyed than confused. Why dodge that question? Sure, ghosts get cagey when you get close to the subject of their death, but we've seen them get closer to the topic before blatant denial, to questions more specific than just how they knew a person.

(I uh, don't have the response from the third option to overanalyze ... because i couldn't quickly find a video with that one hahaha)

IDK, all I know is the exchange made me kind of do a double-take and then replay it to make sure I got that right, and then get really excited at the possibility that this main and playable character that I really like is canonly bisexual. And it just really got the gears turning on what the backstory could have been like with this in mind, y'know?

And I mean, yeah you can read it that Madeline really is talking about how and why Joey died, but Idunno, this interpretation feels more natural, y'know? It just seems to flow better. But, like angie, I've been deep in a lot of fandoms with a lot of in-depth analysis of characters and plots, and storytelling is something I'm interested in myself, so I often find myself paying real close attention to how the things I read and watch and play are put together. XD

(Hi sorry i just binged the entire Blackwell series over the course of a week and i'm ready to overanalyze the hell out of everything, anything to ease the pain of the finale lmao sob)