Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Crash: Epiphany and Deception - Unable to open savegame file  (Read 2933 times)

Offline mjung79

• View Profile
Crash: Epiphany and Deception - Unable to open savegame file
« on: January 05, 2015, 11:41:43 AM »
Hello,

My wife is playing through Blackwell Epiphany and having pretty bad stability issues.  This is on a steam version of the game played on Windows 7 x 64.  The error occurs when trying to leave a location and go to the location list, or when the game attempts to autosave.

We have tried running the game as administrator on her PC and also tried Windows XP compatibility mode.

She also had the problem in Deception (which was the only other Blackwell game she has played on this PC) towards the end of the game but the problem has been much more consistent with Epiphany.

Any help would be appreciated.  It's really spoiling her enjoyment of the game.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Crash: Epiphany and Deception - Unable to open savegame file
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 12:07:50 PM »
Hm! Let's try this. This has been known to happen before and this has fixed it.

Go to the folder where your save games are stored. By default, it is: c:\Users\[USERNAME]\Saved Games\Blackwell Epiphany (where "USERNAME" is the name of your computer).

Delete the file called "agssave.999".

Try the game again!

Let me know if that works.

-Dave

Offline mjung79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 01:49:21 PM »
Thanks Dave.  We will try this out and let you know.

Offline josephcurwen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 05:31:50 PM »
Hm! Let's try this. This has been known to happen before and this has fixed it.

Go to the folder where your save games are stored. By default, it is: c:\Users\[USERNAME]\Saved Games\Blackwell Epiphany (where "USERNAME" is the name of your computer).

Delete the file called "agssave.999".

Try the game again!

Let me know if that works.

-Dave

I've had this problem with all the Blackwell games so far (and it was so bad during the end game of Resonance I had to stop playing). I am having near-constant crashes to desktop with the "Unable to open save game" error.

Deleting the .999 file doesn't help, nor does changing the "read only" tag for the folder and files.

I used to get some traction by simply deleting all local content via Steam and reinstalling, but this doesn't work anymore either.

Any advice would be much appreciated! I am very close to finishing Epiphany, but find it hard to maintain interest when I'm pushed to desktop every minute or so of playing.

Offline JanG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 05:50:09 PM »
What version of Windows are you using, josephcurwen?