Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: In-Game Ending Achievements Reset  (Read 5680 times)

Offline Douba

• View Profile
In-Game Ending Achievements Reset
« on: December 19, 2014, 05:59:14 AM »
Hi,

I just played through this amazing game (GOG version) and unlocked a decent portion of the in-game achievements along the way (the matrix of buttons turning green, as opposed to Steam achievements).

As I tried to complete the endings achievements, I restored a savegame taking me back to just before the final decision.

After going through an alternate ending sequence and ESCing the credits, I get taken back to the start screen. Now, if from there, I load a savegame, then the achievement of the latest ending is still red. However, if I instead choose to start a new game, then the achievement turns green.

Restoring the pre-decision savegame from there, I can go through another ending, and the same as above applies, so I get to unlock one ending achievement after the other.

However, this does not seem to hold forever, since at one point, all the endings achievements are reset to red. I tried to create a separate savegame for each additional ending-newgame, but to no avail, I cannot get all the achievements.

Is this a bug, or intended behavior? Does the achievements status depend on savegames? When and why exactly are the ending achievements reset, while all the others stay intact?

By the way, after starting a new game, the options menu says "load game" instead of "restore game" - is there any difference?

Thank you for your thoughts and hints.

Offline Dualnames

• "Aren't magnets great?"
    • View Profile
Re: In-Game Ending Achievements Reset
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »
Hey Douba!

By the way, after starting a new game, the options menu says "load game" instead of "restore game" - is there any difference?

Besides the word being changed, none whatsoever. Do rate the game if you've bought it from Steam or GOG, and link us or tell us about your thoughts anywhere, here is included, we'd love to hear from you.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:14:06 AM by Dualnames »
Coder for Wormwood Studios
Primordia

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »
The achievements aren't stored by save games, but are stored to your hard-drive in a separate file. That should, theoretically, allow you to collect all the achievements over multiple playthroughs. Why your achievements are disappearing, I'm not sure! It could be a result of the recent patch, or it might have been there from the beginning. Sadly, this is very difficult for us to test properly because it is difficult to determine the exact way that every user will play through the endings. Fortunately, unlocking the achievements on the non-steam version don't give you any benefit aside from bragging rights. But that said, we'll look into seeing why that happens in a future update!

Offline Dualnames

• "Aren't magnets great?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 10:22:12 AM »
A solution has been figured out, thanks for pointing this. For now, a nice workaround to this is to just be sure to LOOK at the achievements when you load a game before unlocking a new achievement.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:17:32 AM by Dualnames »
Coder for Wormwood Studios
Primordia

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 11:19:14 AM »
Duals has it. The reason behind this is long and complicated, but that's the workaround. Congrats on being the first person in eight years who has uncovered this problem with the achievements!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:55:36 PM by DaveGilbert »

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »
It's a Hanukkah miracle! :)
Wormwood Studios
Writer / Designer on Primordia