Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Hansel Rossumbuilt  (Read 4476 times)

Offline AdmiralZackbar

• View Profile
Hansel Rossumbuilt
« on: October 09, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »
I played through Primordia for the first time this week and I loved it.  I especially love the art style, very reminiscent of the 16-bit days, had a lot of flashbacks to the futuristic sections of Chrono Trigger.  Well done ;D

Upon finishing the game I noticed the name "Hansel Rossumbuilt" in the voice credits.  Searching google and this forum netted no results.  I'm guessing this was cut content.  Can anyone confirm this?  If so does anyone know any details?  Who was Hansel, who was Rossum, and how did they interact with Horatio?

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
Re: Hansel Rossumbuilt
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:44:00 AM »
Sorry for the slow reply!  He's the repairbot working on the crashed Herringbus.

The "Rossumbuilt" comes from Rossum's Universal Robots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.U.R.), origin of the term "robot."  It also was the name of a robot-builder in Batman (http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Karl_Rossum).  The "Hansel" is just punning, very lightly, on him being a Han[dyman] robot.

While some of the names of robots whose names are never uttered in the game were always there, mostly they were added at the last minute while doing the credits.  I have no idea why I thought that giving an inscrutable name to a character was a good idea. :)

The reference to Chrono Trigger is very kind.  That was a game I loved to death as a kid; I still vividly remember the futuristic parts, in fact to the degree that I remember a line of dialogue I always quibbled with: "'Heal - thy?' Got a nice ring to it!"  Of course, the word is pronounced "hell," not "heal," and probably doesn't have a nice ring to it if you've never head it before! :)
Wormwood Studios
Writer / Designer on Primordia

Offline AdmiralZackbar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 01:41:54 AM »
Thanks for the reply, and no worries on the speed.

That's a pretty clever name!  TIL: the word robot came from a Czech play.  I'm a sucker for etymology :D

I really enjoy the naming system in the game.  It reveals a lot about each character and the lore as a whole.  Every time I see someone with a different last name I get all excited like, "Wow who was that? What did they do?  How many robots did they make?" etc.

Unrelated question: Were Steeple and the cathedral ever meant to be in the game?  I was a little disappointed that I never got to go there, it sounded like it would have been an interesting place to visit. (no rush on the reply  ;)  It's awesome that you still keep up with the forums and interact so regularly with fans.  Thanks)

Unrelated praise: I also really enjoyed the information console.  It was a treasure trove of lore and story, and the puzzle that went with it was also very rewarding.  It was very awesome to see the unaltered truth about the past and present and crack the hidden code.  It felt like I was interacting directly with Memorious (definitely my favorite of the council robots.)

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:53:36 AM »
The Cathedral was never meant to be a location.  Here's a cross-post of something I put on on the GOG.com forums:
That said, I think the decision to put the Cathedral "off camera" was probably the wrong one. It's probably my single largest regret about the game (other than not fighting harder to make sure that the Clarity vs. Scraper fight was more polished). In hindsight, rather than a vertical emergency elevator out of the Council Tower, there should have been an emergency lateral cable car (something Vic had wanted from the first day of the project) that carried Horatio and Crispin to the Cathedral. Then there could be some puzzles in the Cathedral, followed by Horatio following a subway tunnel from the Cathedral back to the station where you first arrive in Metropol. (This would've required a slight tweak to the kiosk, which identifies Cathedral Station as being on the Blue Line; it would've had to be on the Red Line.)

While I had lumped the Cathedral in with the other "cool things just past the horizon" (the rocket launch pads, Civitas and Urbani, Factor's sleeping army, etc.), including it would've enriched Horatio's religious journey, paced out the endgame a little better, and provided some striking visuals. I don't think I was *crazy* to have the emergency elevator go straight down -- I thought at that point in the game, players would be frustrated with another long series of puzzle-obstacles and insist on getting directly to avenging / rescuing Clarity, and the added development time for another four or five rooms would've been non-trivial. Still, on balance I think it would've been good to include it.

That said, for what it's worth, the Cathedral was going to be the main setting in the graphic novel I mused about above.

Plus, cutting awesome cathedrals from melancholy, atmospheric games is part of a proud tradition. (http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Silenced_Cathedral)
As for the other comments: thanks very much!  I liked those aspects, too, and it seems you got out of them exactly what I was hoping players would.  :)
Wormwood Studios
Writer / Designer on Primordia