Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: WHY?? [Spoilers for Epiphany]  (Read 5443 times)

Offline angie

• View Profile
    • Angie Suarez illustration
WHY?? [Spoilers for Epiphany]
« on: June 30, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »
Okay I need to get my frustration out somehow.

WHY DID YOU GUYS HAVE TO RIP MY HEART OFF WITH THAT ENDING??

A friend of mine bought me the Blackwell series bundle on steam as a gift a week ago as he thought I might like the game and he was so right! I finished the game in a day. I found the dialogues interesting and I loved that for once the main character of this kind of games was a socially akward girl who would refuse to pick up objects without a reason and who would have a really hard time getting information from people because she is shy and not good with the talking.

And then Joey . Don't even get me started on Joey. That smug, sassy cheeky ghost got me at hello. I fell in love with the character and I sensed there was a story behind all that sarcastic fašade and I wanted to know him better. So I obviously started the next game the same day. It took me two days to finish this one and It probably was because I just loved Lauren and Joey's interactions too much.  I even thought that they both had feelings for each other and were just very frustrated cause they knew it was pointless as he was dead and all that. Anyways It was so sad to know that Lauren's fate was to die in a hospital bed after this. But I could just smile to myself thinking about Joey being there with Lauren and Red, watching them trying to have a life. 

The next day I moved on to convergence, back to Rosangela. Finished it within a day again.
The day after that I played deception. Not gonna lie, I found it more difficult with this one and took me the longest to complete.

I spent a few days considering if I should buy the last instalment and get some answers on Joey's story and to see the ending of the series, besides steam sale was about to end and the price was good enough.

Boy, I was so not prepared for that

Playing the flashbacks and finding Joey at the store and the Countess story going full circle was satisfying but also extremely sad. After that I only prayed for Joey to get a happy ending. I had gotten so emotionally attached to his character that I realized that if the game ended badly I would become a total mess.

Well, guess what. Even with that bitter sweet ending I am totally wrecked.

My god, I just wanted Joey and Red to be buddies and go have a little relax time! Maybe Rosangela could get some time to explain how the damn computers work to Joey so its not just "all Greek to him". Maybe they could have gone to the movies and Joey would have complained about modern cinema and how it was better in his time. Eventually someone would have died and they would have had to go back to business but Rosangela could have gotten some time for herself and to get a bit of a life, maybe even get to meet someone (I'm still sad about Jeremy).

Instead of any of that I got to cry over Rose and want to flip tables at auntie Lauren almost telling her niece to tell the cheeky bastard that she loved him.
I did absolutely not expect Rose death and everything is just so sad!

I played the game to enjoy myself, why have I just been reduced to a puddle of feelings and frustration???

Ugh I've loved this series and I am recommending it to my friends even though at the moment it feels like I've been kicked in the stomach. My most sincere congratulations to the team. Thank you for all the Blackwell games.

But its going to leave a hole in my soul. Guess I will have to resign to drawing fanart like the one I drew of Joey before I bought Epiphany.

*sighs*

Sorry about the rant. hopefully someone here understands what I'm going through and won't think I'm just obsessing too much over the game (I'm just passionate about things ok?)
Also forgive my English. Its not my mothertongue.

Dear Joey, wherever you are, I hope you are happy.

Sincerely

A Blackwell fan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:18:07 PM by angie »

Offline Ramina

• View Profile
Re: WHY?? [Spoilers for Epiphany]
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »
Oh, I can relate. I think we all can. You know, despite the serious emotional scars, I believe that was a great way to end the series. It's fulfilling while it rips your heart off. Any game that can leave you emotionally scarred is a good game.

Offline wayrest8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
Also on this subject of heartbreak and woe; it probably would have presented something of an animation/cell issue, but WHY OH WHY DIDN'T HE JUST HOLD HER?? in his arms? now that he could? instead of standing ramrod straight and proffering his tie (for all the devastating symbolism and irony* of the gesture)? Admittedly, "beneficiary of loving sacrifice cradles the lifeless body" is unspeakably cliched, but it would have made this perfectly heartrending moment even more perfect to have some human touch in it, what with human closeness and the immateriality of the ghosts/living relationships being themes of the series.

[*] Edit: at least, I think it's irony. A certain someone could tell me, if she were here... *sob*
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:59:36 PM by wayrest8 »

Offline Lyrisath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »
Also on this subject of heartbreak and woe; it probably would have presented something of an animation/cell issue, but WHY OH WHY DIDN'T HE JUST HOLD HER?? in his arms? now that he could? instead of standing ramrod straight and proffering his tie (for all the devastating symbolism and irony* of the gesture)? Admittedly, "beneficiary of loving sacrifice cradles the lifeless body" is unspeakably cliched, but it would have made this perfectly heartrending moment even more perfect to have some human touch in it, what with human closeness and the immateriality of the ghosts/living relationships being themes of the series.

[*] Edit: at least, I think it's irony. A certain someone could tell me, if she were here... *sob*
The bit with the tie chokes me up the most, personally. What you said could definitely have worked, but this seemed... more Blackwell. More poignant.

He was probably stunned anyway. A HELL of a lot just happened in the space of about ten seconds, I think I'd be pretty dazed by the sudden-ness and surreality of it if I were him.

Now that you mention it, though, it is now my personal head-canon that shortly after that scene, he does just crumple to his knees and hold her until police arrive.

Either way, the feels. THE FEELS.

Offline loveblackwell90

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 06:44:42 AM »
When I finished Epiphany, I cried and felt like I got physically punched in the stomach and got the wind knocked out of me.  The ending blew me away.  I love the series!  The ending was just so sad.

Offline DreamerNumberTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 08:59:20 PM »
I just wanted to bump this thread to say what a great post/review of Epiphany by angie.  I played the Blackwell series for the first time last week, and finished them all within several days.  Definitely among the best adventure game experiences I've ever had.

As a side note, I know when angie talked about how she envisioned Joey really loving Lauren it probably sounds like typical fangirl wishcasting.  But you know, I couldn't help notice the throwaway line when the Countess was in Lauren's apartment, and she told Lauren she was loved.  Lauren asked by who, but they just kind of let that one go unanswered.  I have a feeling the intent from Dave Gilbert was precisely what Angie was talking about.

I also kind of agree about the desire to see Joey hug Rosa at the end.  But I have a feeling that there was a limit to the animations/portraits the team could make due to time/budget.  Along those lines, I personally would've liked more of a variety of facial expressions for Rosa in general.  That really would've come in handy at the end of the game in front of the church if she could've had a pained facial expression for those last bits of dialogue rather than her standard "all purpose" look.

Offline Robert B

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 06:15:32 AM »
Some very nice words about a great game :)

I loved this ending! Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely heartbreaking, but as far as payoffs and stories go it was really surprising and striking. Going in to Epiphany I kinda expected that there would be a sad ending, like a vibe or something. But that particular ending for Rosangela and Joey? Never saw it coming! The bit with the tie was really touching, so emotional that Joey didn't really know what to do, so he tried the tie. And the voice acting was perfect, just hearing Rebecka and Abe choking up got me choked up too.

After my second playthrough (this time with commentary) I emailed Dave Gilbert from Wadjet Eye Games, the first time I actually did that for any game, to thank him and the team for an amazing series, particularly praising the Ephiphany ending. And I was so happy when he replied, thanking me for thanking them! :D Such a great series :)

Offline seraphina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »
A while back I had actually found the third game and didn't know it was a whole series of games, so I had actually played out of order, the third game then first and second and eventually played the fourth game and then played the last game after it came out.

I really LOVED the whole series and the last game, well I just finished it for the second time and at the end it occurred to me how it ended and my initial reactions from the first time I played it came flooding back, I seriously blocked all that out, because it's so sad. It makes my heart break for Rosa that she's gone, and sad for Joey that he has to deal with her being gone too.

My biggest dream is that they would make a sixth game, have Joey be the Medium (as Rosa would say) and have Rosa be the Spirit Guide, Perhaps it could be the real true happy ending we're all looking for.

... A fan-girl can dream right?

Offline Fantasysci5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 11:22:19 PM »
I really felt that Lauren and Joey loved each other. I was rooting for them, even though I knew they'd never get together. I loved their banter, it felt more like flirting honestly. Was so happy to see Lauren have a part and help Rosa, and I felt like she wanted to tell Joey how she felt before she went into the light, but decided against it. It is my head canon that she meets him at the light when its his turn to die.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about Joey turning human. Since Rosa was the last Blackwell, I was kinda hoping when she died, they could both move on, and Lauren would be waiting for them at the light...<3