Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Should I play Gabriel Knight 2 and 3?  (Read 4315 times)

Offline LilyLaura18

• View Profile
Should I play Gabriel Knight 2 and 3?
« on: May 18, 2014, 06:43:16 AM »
I recently got myself a copy of Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers and thoroughly enjoyed it even though it was challenging at times.

I've looked into playing the second and third games, but I'm really put off by the drastic change in art style from pixels and portraits to live action in the sequel and what looks like a bad version of the Sims in the third installment.

I dunno, I get the feeling that it wouldn't...feel the same. .

Any thoughts from those who have played the second and third installments?

Offline DonRex

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • North By Sound | Audio Productions |
Re: Should I play Gabriel Knight 2 and 3?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:18:10 PM »
The second is my personal favorite of the three. The story is just so breathtakingly awesome. The third is quite underwhelming. But a lot of people disagree with me, so I would definitely recommend playing them to see for yourself!

Thomas.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 03:45:11 PM »
GK2 is probably the worst in terms of gameplay (FMV doesn't leave room for much), but it has one of the best stories in adventure gaming history. It meshes history and the supernatural so perfectly that you could swear it actually happened that way. Play it just for that.

GK3 is... interesting. It succeeds on many levels, fails on some others (google "cat hair mustache puzzle") , but well worth playing if you are invested in the story/characters. I enjoyed it.

Offline JustRay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 04:56:49 AM »
I loved GK2 just because you can't make a game like that any more (I know Tex did one this year).  I think the puzzles are very limited (very few rooms and few objects) but the story makes up for it (apart fromthe ending).

GK3 is ok, the main issue with it was the large empty places.

Offline megazver

• @captainperson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 10:06:35 AM »
I've played through GK2 for the first time a couple of years. Your eyes stop bleeding from the low res FMV an hour or two into the game, but they'll itch from the GK's actor's acting till you finish it. That said, still a good game.

GK3's early 3D was a bit too much for me. I bounced off it.

Offline Yuri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 10:11:47 AM »
I enjoyed Gabriel Knight 2 very much - and I think it has one of the best stories ever told in games (comparable maybe to Grim Fandango)!

And I must confess that I tried to play Gabriel Knight 1 and 3 several times for the last 10 years or so - but I could never get past the first 10 minutes :'(
Everything there was just that terrible for me, both visually and gameplay-wise.

Offline Imploder

• View Profile
    • Der Endgegner
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 05:44:16 PM »
Even if you do not like them, if they are cheap, you can still rush through with a walkthrough and so at least get part of the story.
Check out my music: http://www.derendgegner.org/