Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Blackwell Deception Fluke (possible minor spoiler)  (Read 5884 times)

Offline Delerium

• View Profile
Blackwell Deception Fluke (possible minor spoiler)
« on: May 04, 2014, 03:42:04 AM »
I was just playing Blackwell deception with the commentary on.  I finished the tutorial and got back to Rosa's apartment and she received a phone call from Jeremy, so she tells Joey to move back while she takes the call.  Then I listened to the commentary where it was explained to me about how they decided that ghosts only effect phone calls and not the internet.  Cool I can deal with that.  I then go over to Jeremy's house, and what am I greeted by?  The ghost of Jeremy that apparently was able to call me?  After listening to the dev explain that he rewrote the meeting with Jeremy and changed it from Jeremy being alive to him being dead, it seems like the whole "ghosts can't touch objects" and "ghosts disrupt phone calls" things were forgotten in the rewrite.  Anyway, figured since the dev might check his own forums, figured I'd post that I kinda chuckled over this fluke.

Offline Akari

• View Profile
Re: Blackwell Deception Fluke (possible minor spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 07:57:26 AM »
I think wired connection does not get by the ghosts, so landline, for example, should be safe. But concerning Jeremy I think his ghost just desperately needed to reach Rosa, so this call happened in some strange way. I don't think it was a real call on his side.

Offline Delerium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:15:21 AM »
I think wired connection does not get by the ghosts, so landline, for example, should be safe. But concerning Jeremy I think his ghost just desperately needed to reach Rosa, so this call happened in some strange way. I don't think it was a real call on his side.
Perhaps, but then why is Jeremy the only one who could do this?

Offline Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 08:42:31 AM »
Well, he actually knew Rosa personally unlike other ghosts. The way he contacted her could be similar to the way he did it when he was alive. That's the only explanation I can think of

Offline Lyrisath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »
Quite a few of the ghosts in the series can do things they shouldn't be able to according to the "rules." Like Isaac in Unbound playing his ghostly sax that living people can hear, and a ghost in Epiphany somehow playing a real piano.

In fact, we can see that at least Lauren took to getting her cases from odd happenings reported in newspapers and the like (remember the case list in Unbound?). In other words, lots of ghosts manage to do things that are noticeable enough to living people to be reported as hauntings or other unexplained oddities.

This is probably because the exact workings of life and death are meant to remain at least a bit mysterious, to enable the story/game, and because it makes for cooler ghost stories.

Offline Delerium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 01:52:20 AM »
Quite a few of the ghosts in the series can do things they shouldn't be able to according to the "rules." Like Isaac in Unbound playing his ghostly sax that living people can hear, and a ghost in Epiphany somehow playing a real piano.

In fact, we can see that at least Lauren took to getting her cases from odd happenings reported in newspapers and the like (remember the case list in Unbound?). In other words, lots of ghosts manage to do things that are noticeable enough to living people to be reported as hauntings or other unexplained oddities.

This is probably because the exact workings of life and death are meant to remain at least a bit mysterious, to enable the story/game, and because it makes for cooler ghost stories.

Very true, and I agree.  Another example is how Madeline was surprised at Joey's unorthodox use of his tie to represent the link between worlds.  It was purely the timing of this one particular occurrence that seemed ironic.  Between her telling Joey to move further away and the dev explaining in commentary the conscious decision to have ghosts only effect voice phone calls, then 1 minute later finding out the caller was a ghost to begin with.  There was just a noticeable inconsistency between the explanation given by the dev and then so quickly contradicted 1 minute later.  Not sure if that makes sense or not.  It's not a big deal though.  Like I said, I kinda chuckled at it is all.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:54:27 AM by Delerium »

Offline Lyrisath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 10:34:30 AM »
I suppose the timing does make it kind of ironic! Jeremy wasn't actually near to Rosa's phone, though, and the "phone" on his end wasn't a real phone. It's more like he was talking directly to her across a great distance and he/the universe was rationalising it as a phone call. Mysteeeeerious. *waggles fingers*

Either way, it made for a great little twist moment when he floated out through his door to meet Rosa. :D

Offline JanG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 02:13:23 PM »
Other ghosts don't seem to be able to do Joey's "blowing" trick either.