Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Story Questions (Spoilers)  (Read 19087 times)

Offline toschi2222

• View Profile
Story Questions (Spoilers)
« on: April 27, 2014, 04:53:23 PM »
Hi,
I finished the game and although I think the series is amazing I was left with some questions at the end of epiphany. Maybe there are no answers or maybe I just missed them. But I am interested to what you people think.

1. Who is the shooter from the beginning of the game? Is it the husband / father (sorry forgot his name)?
2. Who shot the little girl, Kendra? As far as I remember she bled to death because of a gun wound but who is the shooter here?
3. Why did Joey come back from the light? So in one flashback we see how Joey was sent of into the light but he came back as a spirit guide. And why was he so special that he couldn't leave at the end? Why him?

Just some questions that came to mind. Maybe something is answered in the commentary mode, but I haven't listened to it yet. Thanks.

Offline Tellah

• View Profile
Re: Story Questions (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »
I'm still a little confused myself over the answer to question 2, but the answers to questions 1 and part of 3 are actually in the game (I haven't listened to the commentary either).

Not sure if if needs spoilers, but you can find the answers to questions 1 and 3ish by-
Talking to Madeline as Joey while she's possessing Rosa
- it's very easy to miss that conversation (I missed it the first time through). If you don't have a save around that time/want to know right away, specifically the answers are:
1. The shooter at the beginning is Michael Cooper/Madeline's Host. His soul was weak enough that she pushed him into it and left him not remembering what he did except for some guilt.
3. Joey became a spirit guide because he was the last ghost 'saved' before Madeline's host severed their connection. Since Madeline couldn't act as a spirit guide anymore, the job fell on him for whatever reason. Still not sure why Joey couldn't pass on at the end, though.

Offline toschi2222

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 05:19:59 PM »
1. The shooter at the beginning is Michael Cooper/Madeline's Host. His soul was weak enough that she pushed him into it and left him not remembering what he did except for some guilt.
3. Joey became a spirit guide because he was the last ghost 'saved' before Madeline's host severed their connection. Since Madeline couldn't act as a spirit guide anymore, the job fell on him for whatever reason. Still not sure why Joey couldn't pass on at the end, though.

Oh, great! Thanks for that. I did indeed miss the conversation with her at the end. I can replay that part easily. That only leaves me wondering who is responsible for little Kendra's fate.

Offline Mister L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 03:30:14 AM »
2. Who shot the little girl, Kendra? As far as I remember she bled to death because of a gun wound but who is the shooter here?
I think it was the same "guy" who shot George Ostin. Maybe he aimed at her mother and just missed?

I've also got a question:
How is Joey gonna survive in todays New York? He has no ID, no knowledge of technical stuff, he has no money, no place to live, he doesn't know anybody. :(

Offline McSpain

• View Profile
    • GamerGlobal
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 06:09:33 AM »
He is going to tell Durkin everything about the vampires and bestowers and they will team up to fight them. At least that what would say.  :D
Abe might add: And he knows how to blow stuff. He'll manage.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:45:17 PM »

Hah. Believe me, Abe would add a lot more then that!

Offline Mister L

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 02:34:07 PM »
He is going to tell Durkin everything about the vampires and bestowers and they will team up to fight them.

Yes, that seems to be the only way - and Joey earns Durkins trust by telling him who killed his mother! :)

Offline McSpain

• View Profile
    • GamerGlobal
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »

Hah. Believe me, Abe would add a lot more then that!

Just keeping it short for the younger readers.  ;)

Offline toschi2222

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 04:22:25 AM »
I think it was the same "guy" who shot George Ostin. Maybe he aimed at her mother and just missed?

Yeah, I also think this is true. Makes the most sense.

I've also got a question:
How is Joey gonna survive in todays New York? He has no ID, no knowledge of technical stuff, he has no money, no place to live, he doesn't know anybody. :(

I like this ending. It's not that Joey has not lived (or let's say "existed") in the 21st century before. He just didn't have to use computers or cellphones before so that's why he is a bit unexperienced with them. Maybe he will meet a woman, have children and a job? Maybe he'll cannot cope with all this and becomes a drug addict? Maybe he want's to tell this story and expresses it through the best storytelling method we have? So he becomes a video game designer and creates a point and click adventure?
Who knows, but it's more fun this way.

Thanks Dave Gilbert. Never did I regret a Wadjeteye Games purchase and will continue to buy those games day one.

Offline jwalt10705

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 07:46:03 AM »
Dave's story, Dave's ending. In my opinion, the perfect ending would have also brought Lauren back to life, and she would have reconnected with Joey on the bridge while he dumped Rosa's ashes into the river. They would both have lost their powers. It always seemed to me that the relationship between Joey and Lauren was different from his relationship with Rosa. They could have lived out a normal, albeit, undocumented life, together.

Alternatively, it might have ended with a role reversal in which Joey was alive and Rosa was the ghost. That would have been funny, but it wouldn't have ended the series. Rosa could have gotten even.

Edit: Oh, and instead of Joey's tie, Rosa could use those sexy earmuffs.

Thank you Dave (and all the others)!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:48:36 AM by jwalt10705 »

Offline frederic09

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
I would like to ask a question :

4) Why Joey was tied with Patricia Blackwell at first ?

There are a lot of persons in the world, so... why her ?

Dave's story, Dave's ending. In my opinion, the perfect ending would have also brought Lauren back to life, and she would have reconnected with Joey on the bridge while he dumped Rosa's ashes into the river. They would both have lost their powers. It always seemed to me that the relationship between Joey and Lauren was different from his relationship with Rosa. They could have lived out a normal, albeit, undocumented life, together.

Yeah, i agree with you. Rosa spirit could have appeared in her own head and asked her aunt to go out. The love/hate between Joey and Lauren would have been wonderful. And seeing Dr Quentin's face when he sees Lauren in flesh would have been funky too :P

Alternatively, it might have ended with a role reversal in which Joey was alive and Rosa was the ghost. That would have been funny, but it wouldn't have ended the series. Rosa could have gotten even.

Edit: Oh, and instead of Joey's tie, Rosa could use those sexy earmuffs.

Haha. Who knows. But it's true, it's still an open ending. Dave can makes Rosa (or Lauren?) reappear but as a spirit guide :D And that launches a new series of Bestowers ^_^
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:43:58 AM by frederic09 »

Offline yidgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:58 PM »
My big question:
5) Why does the universe enter Rosa's mind and why does it have the effect it does? At first Madeline describes the effects on Patricia and Lauren as "breaking" their minds, not letting the universe in. This does seem to be explained by a part of their souls fleeing to the void allowing the universe to flood in, which seems to be corroborated by Quentin's statement that they are receiving sensory input from outside that is overwhelming their brains, but why would it continue for Rosa after she refills her mind by escaping the void? When the same thing happened with the Countess, it was for a completely different reason and she survived and was able to function but went insane. Why does the same thing not happen to Rosa? Is she just so strong that she dies rather than become the Countess or even enter the catatonic state she was in before? Or was Madeline lying and the Countess actually went insane not because she banished Madeline but because Madeline tried to control her? Would that mean that if Rosa had banished Joey in Deception under Gavin's influence she would not have gone insane? Overall there seems to be a lot of uncertainty over what exactly is causing each of the "illnesses" of the Countess and the Blackwells that causes them to react differently to "the universe flooding in." Any ideas?

Offline yidgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 12:56:55 PM »

Yeah, I also think this is true. Makes the most sense.
It doesn't explain the mysterious disappearing bullet though.

Offline Sslaxx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 08:44:13 AM »
My big question:
5) Why does the universe enter Rosa's mind and why does it have the effect it does? At first Madeline describes the effects on Patricia and Lauren as "breaking" their minds, not letting the universe in. This does seem to be explained by a part of their souls fleeing to the void allowing the universe to flood in, which seems to be corroborated by Quentin's statement that they are receiving sensory input from outside that is overwhelming their brains, but why would it continue for Rosa after she refills her mind by escaping the void? When the same thing happened with the Countess, it was for a completely different reason and she survived and was able to function but went insane. Why does the same thing not happen to Rosa? Is she just so strong that she dies rather than become the Countess or even enter the catatonic state she was in before? Or was Madeline lying and the Countess actually went insane not because she banished Madeline but because Madeline tried to control her? Would that mean that if Rosa had banished Joey in Deception under Gavin's influence she would not have gone insane? Overall there seems to be a lot of uncertainty over what exactly is causing each of the "illnesses" of the Countess and the Blackwells that causes them to react differently to "the universe flooding in." Any ideas?
Madeline was probably lying; I too came to the conclusion that, had she not been trapped, she would have sooner or later have tried to possess Jocelyn. She was likely behind the death of Michael's sister too (not accidentally, as she claimed).

As concerning Gavin, it would've been a moot point even if Madeline was telling the truth.

As for the rest, dunno. I imagine that what happened to Rosa is unsurvivable; she was a dead woman walking from the moment she left the Void.

Offline Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 07:21:49 AM »
The ID problem I think can be solved. There are people with amnesia who forget who they are, including their names, and therefore cannot get back to their old lives. Joey can make up something like that for the authorities and thus get help with the new ID and everything; he can also get a fake ID, if there is no other way. He can occupy Rosa's old apartment since it is free now - unless it's too hard emotionally to do it - I don't think anybody cares as long as the rent is paid for. She also probably had some savings, maybe not much but still. He can also have her stuff - in case there are questions, he can say he was her boyfriend, nobody can prove otherwise. He was also the one got the... remains (by the way, I liked that the series ended the same way it began - on the bridge, saying goodbye).
And it's not like he does know not the modern world at all, he did see Rosa use all these gadgets. So imo he can more or less manage. It will be hard though; all acquaintances he has ever had are long gone.

On the other hand, the situation Rosa ended up with could not have had any other outcome imo. Imagine she survives - but what to do with that "universe" in her head? How to live with it? And even without it... In the "real" world she would end up locked up - either in an asylum or in jail, and not even Sam Durkin would be able to help her. And even if we assume she was released - all these records would complicate her life badly.

I do wish we could see more of that group which Gavin belonged to. I did want to see a bigger picture of the story - I mean, seeing the part of the society that is fully aware of what Bestowers are. But I suppose the intention was to stick to the main characters and their so to speak isolation from the rest of the world.

Anway, there is just one strange thing that I noticed: Rosa ended up in an asylum, we do not know how much time she spent there but let's assume that it was a very short "stay". Palmer saw the dead body, Rosa knocked him out cold, but was eventually found and brought to the asylum - some time had to pass, even if it was just some hours. So, how come that after Rosa runs away from there the body is still there?.. Surely the police would have taken away the body and Madeline would have had to follow. Unless she maybe prevented them somehow - if we try to find an explanation.