Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Problematic puzzle in Epiphany (possible spoilers)  (Read 4813 times)

Offline Kamamura

• View Profile
Problematic puzzle in Epiphany (possible spoilers)
« on: April 25, 2014, 06:29:17 PM »
I had wonderful time playing this last brilliant installment, but one puzzle broke the otherwise smooth flow of the game.

I am talking about the final "send Madeline away and keep her there" puzzle. My objection is that it is very hard for a player who did not play the previous installment, where various laws and mechanics of the Blackwell world were established. The decisive action itself that brings the solution does not make any sense.

So, what do you think? 

Offline SamCarterX

• View Profile
Re: Problematic puzzle in Epiphany (possible spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »
The mechanics of what to do; chalk circle + bit of essence was shown to us in the game, so it wasn't a big leap to figure that part out. Where, though, might not have been as apparent.

Offline Kamamura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »
No, that is not the action. I am talking about *SPOILER* using Joey's tie on Rosa to get to the Otherworld, or what is the place called.   

Offline SonataFanatica

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 06:23:42 PM »
My objection is that it is very hard for a player who did not play the previous installment, where various laws and mechanics of the Blackwell world were established.
Then again... would people who haven't played any of the previous games even understand "Epiphany" at all? I don't really think so. Maybe to a certain degree but not enough to actually appreciate the game for what it is. They'd go "Why does this girl have a ghost? Who are these people?" and at the beginning they probably wouldn't even know that Joey's tie helps spirits to move on.

Offline Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 07:16:25 AM »
I played all the games but still got stuck in the last puzzle, had to look up a little clue in the walkthrough. Do not even know why I did not figure it out myself.

Offline yidgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 09:16:19 AM »
There are some in-game clues. When Joey looks at his tie, he says it works on aware spooks--like Joey. If Joey tries to give his tie to Rosa at any other time in the game, he says "Last time I went there, I almost didn't come back." The same problem would have arisen back in deception anyway.