Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: (spoiler alert) what are peoples thoughts on the new game?  (Read 12487 times)

Offline linkgoron

• View Profile
Re: (spoiler alert) what are peoples thoughts on the new game?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »
Hi,

IMO the game was very good (I'd give it an 8/10, lost a bit because of the length), although I thought that Deception and Unbound were better (I enjoyed Unbound the most from the 5, although Deception is a close 2nd).

I really liked everything up to the ending (Pierro, Heather etc.). I enjoyed solving things myself instead of the game character solving them (e.g. KayKay, although this element was not unique to Epipheny, and also happened in previous games). I really enjoyed the game, and from the moment I started,it was very hard to stop playing.

I did not like the ending so much... I didn't like the the save-the-whole-city plotline, nor its conclusion and especially Rosa's fate.

Now that I think about it, in retrospect, the past-countess parts also feel kind of disconnected, although they did give me some more info about Joey and The Countess. I feel they would have worked better in Unbound, although this is not something major. Although, it *was* cool seeing her in action for a few scenes.

All in all, a very good game and I enjoyed much of it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:34:29 PM by linkgoron »

Offline Mister L

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 07:54:29 AM »
I came to this series with the 3rd game. I played part 1 and 2 afterwards, bought part 4 on release day and pre-ordered the last one.

And now it's all over. Makes me kinda sad. :(

It was a great series, maybe the best I've ever had the honor to play and I didn't felt like it should have ended now.
I understand, that it had to come to an end after 8 years and that Dave Gilbert wants to move on - but it really had more potential to last at least one or two more adventures!

I eally hope we see Joey somewhere again. Maybe he becomes a Bestower now? And has to teach a new ghost how to run this business? Could be fun. :)

Dave, you created two immortal adventure characters and you have my respect for not selling them out in endless sequels just for the money, but...

...if you decide to bring them back someday, I'll be there with enough money in my hands!

Offline googoogjoob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »
i have a question, the first guy that got shot and his soul riped apart who were the shooter? and why did he do it ? and how did i think her name is madelin rip his soul apart without her host knowing?

That is up to debate but I think it's very likely to have ben Emil (Lia's ex-husband) it looked too planned to be a random mugging and the whole plot showed that Emil might be a nice-ish person but very unstable.

I thought Madeline commented on this? Something about the person needing only a small suggestion to drive them into action.

Madeline says more or less explicitly that she either possessed or otherwise compelled Michael to shoot the guy, and she also mentions that she made it so that Michael didn't remember having shot him, which also clears up why Michael wasn't aware that she had torn his spirit apart.

The spirit-vampire cult thing is a pretty big loose end, and could easily form the basis for a spinoff sequel, but I kind of hope it doesn't, just to leave the series as it stands a singular thing.

Worryingly, all the ghosts being gone from Earth means that in the meantime, there are no Bestowers to deal with the vampires, and even when new Bestowers are chosen, it'd be a while before they are strong or experienced enough to deal with the vampires, if ever. (On the other hand, it's also possible that Bestower-partnered ghosts didn't get hoovered up into the sky, and were tied to their hosts, like Joey was, which would work out okay too. But even then, Rosa and Joey were the only people on Earth who knew about the vampire cult for certain, so, uh. Hopefully somebody else sorts that out, huh?)

Offline Lyrisath

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 12:24:51 AM »
I just finished the game.

Wow.

[OBVIOUSLY, MAJOR SPOILERS:]

That was one hell of an emotional rollercoaster. I can't remember the last time I played a game (or maybe even read a story, for that matter) that gripped me like that. So many twists and unexpected moments... I mean, we saw spirits getting ripped apart in both Deception and in Epiphany's trailer, but it never stopped being a frightening sight (or sound!). The flashbacks were atmosphere and intrigue incarnate. Lia's sudden suicide made me double-take in shock. The entire sequence from Madeline's chilling betrayal onwards was... breathtaking. I lost it and cried a bit when the newly-restored Joey desperately tried to use his tie on Rosa's body.

(It occurred to me to wonder exactly what was going through Rosa's head towards the very end, there... but I think that, of all things, was made abundantly clear. Heh.)

To cut a lot of waffle short, I'm as directionless as your average Blackwell spook, but I'm a sort of person who believes in the power of stories to give lives a kind of meaning where the universe at large doesn't. And frankly, if I lived in New York, I'd probably be throwing myself on Dave's doorstep by now, begging to be taken on as even a coffee-carrier if it meant I could be a little closer to a mind capable of weaving a story like that. And - let's not forget - the others who helped to bring it all to life, too.

Okay, that was maybe just a little exaggeration. No restraining orders please. :P

Point is, Epiphany was intense, and Wadjet Eye Games deserve every last drop of success that flows their way.

Offline Sslaxx

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 08:52:10 AM »
The entire sequence from Madeline's chilling betrayal onwards was... breathtaking.
It can't be betrayal if someone was never on your side to begin with.

Offline Lyrisath

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »
The entire sequence from Madeline's chilling betrayal onwards was... breathtaking.
Why not? It's a betrayal if they were at least pretending to be on your side until they damagingly display that they are not. She was a trusted acquaintance and then revealed her true intentions and broke that trust. Betrayal is about deception and breaking trust, and this ticks both those boxes.

Besides, it depends how far back you go. She was a good little spirit guide just doing her duty once, right?

Offline michinoku

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 10:57:42 AM »
I agree with Roisack about the puzzles - they are an interesting step, but were to me a little too easy (same about the necktie at the end, too). But I found that they flowed into the story and served to flesh it out better than they had in previous games, many of which had for me at least one "item-hunt" trap where I got stuck for a while and had to take a break to not be so frustrated. I liked that Epiphany didn't really have this, but I think my total play time as thoroughly as I could manage was around 5hrs.

As for the rest of the game, I feel like want to replay the whole series before I make up my mind about story stuff, but I did enjoy the mood and atmosphere a great deal.

Offline Sslaxx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 11:08:46 AM »
Why not? It's a betrayal if they were at least pretending to be on your side until they damagingly display that they are not. She was a trusted acquaintance and then revealed her true intentions and broke that trust. Betrayal is about deception and breaking trust, and this ticks both those boxes.

Besides, it depends how far back you go. She was a good little spirit guide just doing her duty once, right?
Was she not a spiritual vampire ala Gavin and Shinjiro? Either that or something a lot more malevolent... did you see any other spirit possess her abilities, or even have it hinted?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:10:48 AM by Sslaxx »

Offline Lyrisath

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »

Was she not a spiritual vampire ala Gavin and Shinjiro? Either that or something a lot more malevolent... did you see any other spirit possess her abilities, or even have it hinted?
I don't think she was one in life... or at least, her old spirit guiding days seemed to be earnest enough. By her own admission and the Countess', they used to save people like any medium and spirit guide duo does. It was just thankless and ended up in her long-term imprisonment in a maddeningly empty place, and she got awfully bitter.

We didn't see any other spirit do what she does, but she's maybe the oldest spirit we saw, and had a long time to learn tricks like that. Joey could mimic one of them (the circle and totem) once he knew how.

If I have my facts straight, the spiritual vampires fed on positive energy which eventually killed their victims and left pretty standard miserable ghosts. Madeline fed on their souls, wholesale. No wonder that energy-rich spiritual vampires like Gavin had to fear the mysterious soul-destroying force - they must have been extra juicy morsels to someone like Maddy.

Offline Tigrou

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 04:06:20 PM »
I've just seen Grace Church for real, it's actually quite peaceful (and beautiful too)!

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 08:51:52 AM »
You're in my old neighborhood! :) Say hi to the place for me. I do miss it. 

Offline missyougayoung

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 04:55:56 AM »
It was just thankless FIFA 15 Coins and ended up in her long-term imprisonment in a maddeningly empty place, and she got awfully bitter.