Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: (spoiler alert) what are peoples thoughts on the new game?  (Read 12537 times)

Offline threepwood

• View Profile
(spoiler alert) what are peoples thoughts on the new game?
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:48:45 PM »
i would like to hear what people think of the game ? my own oppinion were mixed feelings, i realy like the blackwell series, and the last game were allso great, but i feel it lacked some of the dark atmosphere, there were in some of the other games in the series, especialy the first game.
the length of the game might be longer in the storry, but not in the actual gameplay, as i have it on steam and can track played time, it ca takes 7-8 hrs and is actualy the same as one of the other games in the series, the reason i think is the puzzles were a tad to easy compared to the rest of the series, i only got stuck once as i recall.
the last thing is the ending, they kind of  missed the fact that the cult that sucks peoples life energy or souls are still up and running, they only stopped half the thread in my oppinion,
but in the end still a great game and props to the developers what do you guys and girls think?

Offline threepwood

• View Profile
Re: (spoiler alert) what are peoples thoughts on the new game?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »
would just like to add, i think the game series is exelent, and the post should in no way be taken as a negative post, cause the game is truly great, and the storyline is among my top 3 of all time.
all the characters are amasingly well done voices and everything, sadly old style adventure games is not somethin yous see being made every day, so im happy i found your games/company
will definently buy your next project/game without a second thought
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:17:11 PM by threepwood »

Offline Chrome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 04:21:59 PM »
Well if you want to complain about something it's maybe the scale of teh story. In Deception it was implied that there would be some grand scheme or Organisation behind all this so some people might not have thought about the subtle (and not so subtle) clues about the true mastermind behind all this. (especially if you consider the whole blackwell series) But thanks to the commentary we know why the developers decided not to put some Organisation into this: The Story was always about the Blackwell women and Joey, too many characters would just have deluded the whole impact of the stories conclusion.

I am not too sad about Gavins species still being on earth, as Hatori showed there might be different approaches for them and some of them might find a way to survive without killing sooner or later....

Offline Sslaxx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 04:24:22 PM »
I am not too sad about Gavins species still being on earth, as Hatori showed there might be different approaches for them and some of them might find a way to survive without killing sooner or later....
The Gavins and the Madelines definitely outweigh the Hatoris - and even then, I wouldn't necessarily call Shinjiro "good" by any means.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:44:17 PM by Sslaxx »

Offline Chrome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
Now I'm sad....
On another note was meeting Gavin more or less an accident and i doubt Rosa would have hunted them down, she wasn't very prone on Genocide.

Let#s just hope future Bestowers will fight the bad apples as good as Rosa did.

Offline frederic09

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
The game is very nice, with an unexpect turn of events. That's nice, to see Joey even learning new tricks.

And there were stuff i would have like to see in this game (*warning huge spoilers*):

- Dr Quentin face if he was able to see Rosa's waking up and talk normally to him.
- Other spirits than Joey to lost his  "ghost ability" (like Madeline, and Lauren), it might be a shock for Doctor Quentin to see her, and it may have been interesting epilogue that way.
- Joey going to see Dr Quentin and giving him some answers :P
- dictaphone records. I would have love to see Rosa find some records from her aunt and listening it.
- Patricia Blackwell. It would have been nice to understand her point of view.
- How Madeline was "invading" the body of Lauren/Patricia. Since she was in the void at that time, she was doing in a different way than with Rosa.
- A couple of ghost who was arguing against each other.

Well that's all and see you for the next bestowers. Who knows, it might be Joey (and Lauren/Rosa as his spirit guide ?) :P
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:51:13 PM by frederic09 »

Offline frederic09

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 04:53:29 PM »
Now I'm sad....
On another note was meeting Gavin more or less an accident and i doubt Rosa would have hunted them down, she wasn't very prone on Genocide.

Let#s just hope future Bestowers will fight the bad apples as good as Rosa did.

Gavin was necessary. If he didn't force Rosa to banish Joey, he wouldn't have freed Madeline, and Epiphany as we know would never have happened.

Offline threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 06:41:01 PM »
i have a question, the first guy that got shot and his soul riped apart who were the shooter? and why did he do it ? and how did i think her name is madelin rip his soul apart without her host knowing?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:43:03 PM by threepwood »

Offline Kamamura

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 06:42:02 PM »
As I wrote elsewhere, I rate the game 9,5 out of ten, that means "Almost perfect". Wadjet Eye Games in my opinion certainly makes the best 2D pixel art adventure games today, I can't think of any other title or studio that would come even close.

I was a bit disappointed by the ending, but it's also difficult to think out a conclusion for material that is episodic in nature. Remember Arthur Conan Doyle and his hatred of Sherlock Holmes in the end, and how he decided "I will throw the bastard from this waterfall" on his holiday in Austrian mountains.

Offline Tigrou

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 09:22:48 PM »
Hmm, I've found Epiphany decent, but too serious : too many dramatic chords are struck quite unsubtly, and not enough witty banter (although some exchanges did bring a welcome smile - and so did Rosa's jumping).
The supernatural stuff is of course wonky, as in previous installments, and it's always the atmosphere and the dialogues which do things for me. But I've found some pieces of dialogue to be weak and annoying in Epiphany (I'd have to play again to give examples).

I'm also glad Dave decided to put an end to the story, since it's obvious now it was losing a lot of steam. I think I like Deception much better.

Offline Roisack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 01:30:02 AM »
Spoilers ahoy.

Just finished the game. I think I need to replay Deception as I can't really remember what this whole Gavin deal was.

If there's one area where I thought the game spot-on, it's the voice acting. Just wow. In each of these Blackwell games I always though that some voice actor didn't fit in, but this game? I wouldn't change any of it. Dave, I had no idea you could do stereotypical Japanese immigrant voice!

It's worth mentioning I encountered no bugs at all.

The artwork is what I've come to expect since the 3rd game. Beautiful.

Puzzles? There weren't any, really. This is probably something that seeks to change how adventure games work. Especially the ones developed / published by Wadjet Eye have involved mostly information puzzles, connecting the pieces and talking to people instead of performing actions physically. I'm feeling that this is a step in the right way, as if to modernize the genre. Perhaps the step was too drastic though? After playing the game the only puzzle in my memory is that key hidden in the brick. I did get stuck in the end when I couldn't figure out that I needed to use the frigging neck tie.

The music? To be honest, I thought there was too little of it. I can't seem to recall any tune in my head, except the main menu sax.

Writing? The beginning was great. I'm not sure how I feel about the last portion and how it progressed. I thought that the superpower Rosa was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but at least it connected Rosa to the rest of the Blackwell women. One was flamboyant (even if not a Blackwell), one was cynic, one was vulnerable. When we saw the Joey scenes in the past I figured that was probably there to offer the explanation on why Joey was left as a spirit guide, but no, that was only to establish Rose as a different personality. She has her own strengths that were required to bring this all to a conclusion. Through the series we see Rosa grow up emotionally, but the biggest difference is right at the end when she meets Lauren. If this change was due to meeting her aunt or because of the universe taking a holiday in her head, I'm not sure. I liked how the story was brought to a conclusion though.

At the beginning when we rescue the first souls I was kinda thinking this is getting old. Then, wham! Soul rip. That was a nice kickstart to the story.

After what I've seen I can't wait what the team comes up with next. My expectations are high, and a fresh game world is sure to be interesting.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:55:57 AM by Roisack »

Offline Chrome

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 03:39:48 AM »
i have a question, the first guy that got shot and his soul riped apart who were the shooter? and why did he do it ? and how did i think her name is madelin rip his soul apart without her host knowing?

That is up to debate but I think it's very likely to have ben Emil (Lia's ex-husband) it looked too planned to be a random mugging and the whole plot showed that Emil might be a nice-ish person but very unstable.

Offline Roisack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 04:18:20 AM »

That is up to debate but I think it's very likely to have ben Emil (Lia's ex-husband) it looked too planned to be a random mugging and the whole plot showed that Emil might be a nice-ish person but very unstable.

I thought Madeline commented on this? Something about the person needing only a small suggestion to drive them into action.

Offline RaivokasMagma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
Just finished the game for the first time and I would give 9 out of 10.

It was fantastic and I'm glad the series ended this way, although I was thinking a bit different ending. And I hope we don't see game called "Mallone: Legacy" or something like that in the future (Joey looked more handsome when he was a ghost)

I liked the improved graphics. Characters didn't look so thin and didn't walk so awkwardly as in Deception. Also the best character potraits ever.

Musics were damn atmospheric and that's the way I like it. Not too bombastic and not so dominant. Voice acting on the other hand feel like they were a bit weaker, compared to Convergence.

But the story. Well, I kinda wanted to know what that mysterious organization was, that Gavin and Benjiro were part of, but the direction that the game took was good as well. I kinda felt overwhelmed when I had three ghosts at the same time to save (altough two of them were same person). And the fact that I had to visit police station so often was kinda annoying. Maybe we find out what this organiztion is in some Shivah game or in Mallone: Legacy (I really hope this doesn't happen)

If I would rank the Blackwell games in a order:

5. Legacy. Good, but after the playing the rest, it feels not so polished.
4. Unbound. Good and it has my favorite character (Piano Player in Johnny Ivory's), but somehow manages to be even shorter than Legacy.
3. Deception. I don't know, something felt kinda wrong. It's still good and it has lenght, but maybe the graphics turned me off.
2. Epiphany. Great finale and a great game, but not so good as Convergence.
1. Convergence. The most balanced game. Good lenght and there's even character development.

My thanks to Wadjet Eye Games for series of games, that have special place in my heart, although I'm kind of a new fan.

Offline jonathanfrisby

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 04:14:40 PM »
Really thought the game was excellent, congratulations to Dave, Ben and everyone else on the team -- it's really stunning...  After playing through Moebius, BS5, and The Samaritan Paradox this month this really felt like a masterful treat (and there's great stuff about all of those).  I actually think the depth of the exploration mechanics and world do make up for the generally simpler puzzles..   That's all great stuff.

I also had expected the plot to deal more with Gavin's organization, but understand how it had to stay a bit focused..  One thing I would have enjoyed seeing was some detectives pouring over Rosa's apartment (and her creepy trophy shelf) during her arrest/interview..  I really thought she might go to prison for displaying all that suspicious evidence like a serial killer.  I was kind of surprised when Durkin trusted her, instead of it being "Rosa on the run from the law" or something.  :D

A little nervous about the rumored Unity-based/higher-res future, but much love and support to everyone there - if there's anyone that can [maybe for the first time in these 20 years?] get the feel/responsiveness of classic stuff right in higher res/modern cross-platform engine..  its you folks!  (No pressure :D)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:16:42 PM by jonathanfrisby »