Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Bug reports for Blackwell Epiphany  (Read 35947 times)

Offline Shybird

• View Profile
Re: Bug reports for Blackwell Epiphany
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »
I'm not sure if it has been noted elsewhere, but I ran into a potential bug at the end of the game.  When you are at the final NY location I got stuck for a bit and tried to move to a location further away.  I was allowed to leave, but once I got to the map screen, the dialogue and characters would only pop up for a second and disappear.  I tried going back to the final location to reset the screen, but this error persisted.  I had just saved so I was able to just quit the game and resume as normal.  This was with the GoG version, if that matters.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 08:39:17 AM »
It sounds like you might have alt-tabbed away from the game. AGS games tend to react in unpredictable ways when you do that, but the dialog skipping is one of the more usual results. Saving, quitting and reloading will fix it. As you discovered. Apologies for that! It's an AGS engine thing and there isn't much we can do about it. :(

Offline eriktorbjorn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2014, 11:58:27 PM »
I ran into one graphical glitch in the flashback scene where Madeline is cut off. I didn't want to report it here at first, because it only happened when I played it under Linux, using the open-source version of AGS, not when I tried the same thing under Windows:

I reported it to those developers as an AGS bug, but I've been told that it actually does happen under Windows as well but "only if software graphics driver is chosen in setup".

So now I'm not sure whether it's an AGS bug or a game bug after all.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 05:51:05 PM »
Huh! That definitely sounds like an engine bug. The game is meant to play in Direct3D mode, since the other modes aren't fully supported anymore.

Offline Festilligambe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 01:05:53 AM »
I ran into a bug that may be here.  It occurred when playing the Heather ghost quest, I talked to Tanya in the apartment and told her I knew who she was and she agreed to follow me. I switched to Rosa so Tonya was in the other room and then tried to leave the screen as Rosa.

The bug I got was

in "room37.asc", line 80

error: MoveCharacter: character not in current room

I'm assuming this is because the joey and Tonya characters are still in the apartment room not the balcony with Rosa

Offline Illessa

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 05:47:24 PM »
Reply from user Thalion:
Then something else went wrong:
the office door was open, I didn't have to find any code: I just clicked on it and walked in. I just thought the guy forgot to close the door and his house was a sad location where the wasn't anything useful.

I posted this somewhere random on the Steam Community, but to put it somewhere more likely to be noticed :). I think this happens if you sequence break by downloading Trollgate before you should technically know about it? I haven't properly sat down and tested it, but I've seen this happen twice and that's the only thing I could think of which those two occasions had in common.

Offline Authorman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2014, 06:34:05 PM »
Hey, found an obscure CTD bug at Vantini's. If you use Joey to go out into the alleyway from the inside and then go back to the street from the locked alley door, and then tab over to Rosa she will be wearing her coat and earmuffs indoors. At this point if you switch back to Joey and try to leave, Rosa will bust through the wall next to the door before the scene transition.

However, if you move full coat Rosa upstairs and then switch back to Joey and then try to leave, the game crashes to desktop and spits out this error:

Offline Darjeeling

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 03:57:45 AM »
Hi there,
had a gamecrash. I'm not 100% sure of the reason. It occured after meeting michael cooper in the school. I left the school to talk to madeline and went back inside, exhausted all dialogue options and then looked up peter fielding on my phone. Upon trying to leave through the exit i got:

An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS. (ACI version 3.21.1115)

in "room48.asc", line 748

Error: Error running function 'repeatedly_execute_always':
Error: Null pointer referenced

Offline JanG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 12:44:54 PM »
Hi, this is Janet Gilbert!

I was planning on patching these bugs earlier but we had a childcare crunch. Our baby is happily in daycare right now, so I'm going to make a start on these, and hopefully have a new version ready for testing pretty soon!

Thanks for getting all these bug reports together :)

Offline Yuri

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 01:20:24 PM »
JanG, I hope the patch will not invalidate our savegames?
They are still waiting for the 'Softly, softly' achievement to be fixed...

Offline JanG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 09:21:52 AM »
JanG, I hope the patch will not invalidate our savegames?
They are still waiting for the 'Softly, softly' achievement to be fixed...

Softly, softly is number 2 on my priority list after the bug that locks up the conversation with Jim.

I will only make alterations that don't invalidate the saved-games. I can't imagine how annoyed people would be if they were half way through the game and their saves stopped working!

Offline Yuri

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2014, 11:39:01 AM »
JanG, thanks for the patch! :)
At least, 'Softly, softly'works now!

Offline JanG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2014, 04:37:25 PM »
JanG, thanks for the patch! :)
At least, 'Softly, softly'works now!

Thanks!

I have fixed most of the bugs reported on this forum, except some that I couldn't repeat.

Here's my change list:

"Softly, softly" achievement can now be activated.
Fixed bug in conversation with Jim Peebles where you could be stuck talking to him with no way to progress or exit the conversation.
Fixed bug where you could download the Trollgate app before you knew about it, breaking the sequence of events in Emil's office.
Removed duplicate Joey when he reports back to Rosa after finding the ghost in the gym.
Removed duplicate images of Kendra and Mary when tie is used to save them.
Fixed bug where Rosa could end up in her outdoor clothes in Vantini, potentially causing a crash.
Fixed crash when Rosa left the snowy balcony on her own while Tanya is following Joey.
Improved response for asking Heather about Tanya.
Solved tweening glitch which caused "Call" button to occasionally be added invisibly in the bottom right of the screen in the first flashback, causing a crash.
Maggie's parole number is now only added once.
Maggie can no longer be identified before meeting her.

Offline Swingletree

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2014, 06:05:06 PM »
I've got the game on steam and I ran into a 100% reproducible "showstopper" CTD error, just after you first enter Emil's apartment, during the sequence where he greets you in person, during the walk cycle into the room.

I did try "verify integrity of game cache" in case it helped but it didn't do anything. I can't progress any further in the game because of this.

I've attached a screen dump of the error message, but i'll transcribe it for you as well;
---
An internal error has occurred. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.
(ACI version 3.21.1115)

Error: There was an error drawing object 4. Its current sprite, 6419, is invalid.
---
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit on an Intel Core i7 CPU quad core @ 2.67 GHz, with 18 GB ram and a GeForce GTX 660 running version 344.65 NVIDIA drivers, acquired through their proprietary GeForce Experience software.

Edit: added this information to my original post, where it belongs. My bad.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:48:24 AM by Swingletree »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2014, 07:21:30 AM »
Stupid question, but are you playing it under an emulator on a Mac or something else? Someone else received that same bug during testing, but they were playing on a non-windows machine.