Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Deception Error on Start Up  (Read 3817 times)

Offline ThatNickGuy

• View Profile
Deception Error on Start Up
« on: April 24, 2014, 08:37:47 AM »
Has anyone else been getting an error when they try starting up the game? I'm getting the following message when I try loading it up on Steam:

"An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS. (ACI version 3.2.1115)

in "Achievements.asc.", line 222
from "Ahievements.asc.", line 294
from GlobalScript.asc.", line 204

Error: Error running fucntion 'game start':
Error: Null pointer referenced"
It's a surreal feeling, but my first novel is now available to buy at Amazon. Go look for The City of Smoke & Mirrors by Nick Piers.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Deception Error on Start Up
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:47:03 AM »
Sigh. This bug keeps rearing it's ugly little head. On some computers, the game doesn't like being installed in the "Program Files" directory. So if you uninstall and then RE-install somewhere else, you will be able to launch the game with no problem.

Offline ThatNickGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 08:52:52 AM »
Sigh. This bug keeps rearing it's ugly little head. On some computers, the game doesn't like being installed in the "Program Files" directory. So if you uninstall and then RE-install somewhere else, you will be able to launch the game with no problem.

Is that even possible on Steam? Everything's automatic in installing it. It doesn't give me an option to change directories, I don't think.
It's a surreal feeling, but my first novel is now available to buy at Amazon. Go look for The City of Smoke & Mirrors by Nick Piers.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:01:56 AM »
Huh. THat's weird that Steam gives you the error. Someone reported something similar once. Try going to this directory:

C:\Users\"your Cpu name"\Saved Games\Blackwell Deception

And delete everything that's there.

Offline ThatNickGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
Yep, that did it. Fixed. I wonder...the last time I played it, I think it was with the old portraits and such. It's possible that's what the previous saved games were from. Would that cause the error?

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:10:18 AM »
That certainly sounds possible! AGS games are verrrry finicky when it comes to playing new versions of older games. :)