Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: GOG.com Mac Version  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Spirited

• View Profile
GOG.com Mac Version
« on: December 24, 2013, 12:08:44 AM »
Hi everyone,

I saw one thread where somebody was having issues with the Mac version downloaded at GOG.  I want to avoid the Steam version because of the mixed reviews of the Steam app itself. 

Does anyone know if GOG has resolved issues plaguing the Mac version?  Has anyone played the Mac version without any problems?

Thanks,

Spirited

Offline RealNC

• View Profile
Re: GOG.com Mac Version
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 01:19:18 PM »
Just wanted to mention that the Steam version might not actually require Steam. If the Linux Steam version is anything to go by, you can play the game without running Steam. So for this game, at least on Linux, Steam is simply a program that downloads the game. After that, Steam is no longer required.

But I'd wait for official confirmation of this from a mod, since this might just be how the Linux version works. The Mac version might be different.

Offline Spirited

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 09:17:35 PM »
Thanks for your message.  I didn't even know that there might be the possibility of not having to use the Steam client.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 07:31:29 AM »
The GOG Version is simply the PC version wrapped up in a WINE emulator, while the new Steam version (made by the humble bundle guys) is a full native port. Neither we nor Hunble has heard any complaints about the Steam version yet, so I can only assume there are no major problems to speak of. At least none that we are aware of!

Offline Spirited

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 09:54:35 AM »
Hi Dave,
Do you know if it is necessary to have the Steam client to play Gemini Rue?  I've read that the Steam client/app is very clunky and hogs a lot of resources, so would prefer if I could just play GR without it. 

Thanks,
Dimitri

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »
Nope! You don't need Steam. Right now, the Mac version is a Humble Bundle exclusive, so if you want to play it in the Mac you should buy it thru them.

Offline Spirited

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 09:46:03 PM »
Thanks Dave!  I did see that HumbleBundle.com uses Steam's website to download them but I think I did see on their web site that you don't necessarily have to use the client.  Appreciate the quick feedback!

Happy Holidays!