Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Eye of the Jade Sphinx download  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Anamon

• View Profile
    • Anamon.ch
Eye of the Jade Sphinx download
« on: November 24, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »
Hi all!

Now that I've bought the collected works of Wadjet Eye Games, I planned to finally get around to playing them :P. I have a penchant for continuity though—I really can't play games without having played all their prequels first, and even for certain studios and designers I like to play their gameographies in chronological order to see how their work evolved. For that reason I was looking to download and play Gilbert's earlier Freeware games before I get started on The Shivah.

There was no trouble in finding downloads of the Reality-on-the-Norm games, Bestowers of Eternity, and Two of a Kind. However, any links I found for the Eye of the Jade Sphinx demo were dead, and I couldn't find any live mirrors of it. That's why I was wondering if anyone who kept that demo around, which I'm sure a few people here have, would be willing to share it?

Cheers!

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Eye of the Jade Sphinx download
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »
Oh man. That takes me back. The website http://maxgriff.8m.com is still active! Forgive how ugly it is - I made it in 2001!

You used to be able to download the game from there. I'm on my phone now so I can't test it, but give it a try.

-Dave

Offline Anamon

• View Profile
    • Anamon.ch
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »
The man himself :D what an honour!

I actually scoured that site, and several archived versions of your old websites. All lead to the same download links on davelgil.com, which Ipower says is "temporarily unavailable" (and I suspect this is a bit more than a temporary thing). The Internet Archive didn't store the ZIP either. I also tried some AGS game archives I found, with no luck. I'm 99% certain that the files can't be found anywhere on the public web anymore…

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:42:38 PM by Anamon »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 08:42:03 PM »
Oh yeah. davelgil.com is gone as well. I'll see if I can find the file somewhere.

Offline Anamon

• View Profile
    • Anamon.ch
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »
I'm 99% certain that the files can't be found anywhere on the public web anymore…

And as expected, after making such a claim it doesn't take me very long to make a fool out of myself. Lo and behold:
http://bicycle.agsarchives.com/demos%20and%20intros/
It's repacked from the original files, but seems to be intact, and the complete package including the music!