Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Blackwell: Deception for free / Steam redeemable?  (Read 8319 times)

SgtFopper

Blackwell: Deception for free / Steam redeemable?
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »
Hello gamers!

I just read on the German gaming site called "Adventure Corner" that Blackwell: Deception is free.

"Buy the game and tip in the voucher code "Boo" without the "" and get it free until this Friday."

And my question is if i can redeem the game in Steam, as well. Or is that a "download version". Thanks in advance. :)

Happy Halloween! :)

Offline McSpain

• View Profile
    • GamerGlobal
Re: Blackwell: Deception for free / Steam redeemable?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:38:02 AM »
First a steam key was given as well as the drm-free download. But since the offer was abused there will be no steam key from now on.

SgtFopper

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:49:48 AM »
Abused Steam keys that were for free? Sounds weird, but ok. What a pity.
But thanks for the info. :)

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 11:11:22 AM »
Hi! Yes, apologies for this. Google Alert, er, alerted me to websites that were advertising the fact that people could nab the game from this website several times and collect several Steam keys to sell to others later. This was not an exploit I knew about, so I didn't plan for it (perhaps limiting it to 1 key per IP). I obviously had to do something about it. The only thing I could do was remove the keys entirely. So... sorry about that.

But still - free game! :)

Offline choobs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:09:39 PM »
I saw on Facebook that you'd sent updates to Steam, but what about GOG?  I bought the Blackwell Bundle from GOG and I'm just wondering if they will get the updated version as well?

P.S.  I'm halfway through Blackwell Convergence and loving this series!

Offline jimrh1969

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »
So where can we find the DRM free download? I've tried do the order to download but it tells me I cant do it any longer,  the "Boo" code promo code was taken away? "The discount code you provided cannot be used at this time. (The discount scheme, to which this code belongs, is not active)." : (
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:48:31 PM by jimrh1969 »

Offline jimrh1969

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »
Oh WOW!!! I just read what happened with the free game "Hackers stole 30,000 Blackwell Deception Steam keys I am so sorry this had to happen to you :-[ Try to do something nice and your taken advantage of. Hopefully this wont keep you from making any more games out of frustration. I for one look forward to many more games from you Dave  8)

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 01:03:33 PM »
Thanks very much! Yeah, it was sad but it turned out OK in the end. Steam is disabling all the codes that were nabbed without our knowledge, which will remove the games from the associated Steam libraries.

On the bright side, we got much more publicity than we would have otherwise. Which is... good? I guess? It just cost me a few nights of sleep and some grey hairs. :)

Offline jimrh1969

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »
Ya I would definitely say it got Wadjet Eye Games noticed, What a way for it to happen though  :o

Offline Jazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 08:52:35 PM »
I saw your posts on facebook about what had happened. I felt so bad for you, you being a nice guy and trying to do something nice and getting taken advantage of. (I already own the first four Blackwell series and love them.) I read some of the interviews and was shocked at how much was taken. I applaud the decision you made on getting them all back from Steam. (I'm a Steam user) I'm sorry for the people who lost out, but I feel what you did was best. I'm glad the interviews went so well and that you had what seems as overwhelming sympathy instead of anger. Keep on doing what you do best.  ;D