Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Primordia Art  (Read 7421 times)

Offline Nimrod-0

• View Profile
Primordia Art
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:53:49 AM »
First off, I would like to say that I am a huge fan of your work. This game struck a cord with me I suppose. The atmosphere is something straight out of my dreams. I honestly dream of atmospheres and environments exactly like what Primordia contains. This game ranks my favorite, far outdoing any game I've ever played, and I am avid when it comes to gaming.

As everyone here does (which tells you you're doing something right), I am in love with your game. It affected me so much and never have I felt more connected or immersed in a storyline. What you all have created is truly unique and magnificent.

Anyway, I've been browsing these forums a lot, and I've been on the game's website where I read Crispim's log, and I saw and loved the artwork and walk through of how Victor draws the 'sprites', but I recently stumbled across your YouTube video that was a 40+ minutes slides how of Primordia's areas, characters, and other concept art. I sat there a drooled the through the entire video. I know how the game's graphics were condensed then expanded again to give that retro look, and so I was wondering if there was any way whatsoever that I could get my hands on any files of the art before it was condensed. Or for that matter if there was anywhere that I could get  more high-res, full-size copies of concept art, scenes, etc.

I really admire stye art and setting of Primordia; it sets the perfect vibe, and that's why I am so enthusiastic about it. I am a huge supporter of this game, have already made up my mind to buy 20 or so copies of Primordia and gift them to all my Steam friends and some reviewers (It's the only way I can see to efficiently donate, plus it spreads the word). I've already read and listened to your Fallen series, Mark, and I absolutely loved it and can't wait for the next part.   am actually working on my own Primordia art-project in Photoshop, which I have been doing for a couple weeks now, and I have bought the entire Original Soundtrack from Nathaniel Chambers off Amazon. I am actually listening to as I type this.

But again, I digress. I suppose my question, overall, is where can I 'get' more Primordia? Is there any way I can get some of the original artwork, or buy it? And is there any other way, aside buying you games, that I can show support for Primordia and Wadjet Eye, and Wormwood Studios?

Thank you Mark Yohalem for being active on these forums. It's very heartening to know I am able to speak directly to the writer. Thank you his so much for making Primordial as well.

Offline Findswoman

• View Profile
Re: Primordia Art
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:22:41 AM »
Someone else recently asked about buying artwork in this thread...

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/forum/index.php?topic=1809.0

... which includes a response from the artist, Victor Pflug (Pinback), saying that he might be willing to sell some of the original art pieces. His e-mail should be in that thread somewhere. Good luck!

And I too am thrilled too that Mark is active on both this forum and the GOG one. What. A. Guy! :)

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:13:40 PM »
Hi Nimrod!

Thanks for all the kind words!  Even though the rest of the team doesn't post as regularly, they do read the forums and I'm sure they're all as touched as I am by your praise for the game.  I'm glad you found it so satisfying, and that it connected with you.  I suppose that one of the great things about (1) the proliferation of indie projects and (2) electronic distribution, is that there's a greater chance of linking up players with games that will resonate with them.  I can't wait to see your art project!

I think it's very generous that you want to buy a bunch of copies of the game.  I do like the idea that it spreads the game around to more people, but you shouldn't feel obliged to spend any more money on Primordia!  There are so many other wonderful games out there (including Kickstarter projects), not to mention an endless number of non-game things that you could spend money on, for either altruistic or selfish reasons (e.g., a nice meal at a restaurant!).  That's not meant to discourage you from supporting the game, of course!  It's more that I don't like the idea of taking more than any more than the minimum amount of money from a given customer.  (Which is one reason why I like the pay-what-you-want model that many developers have been able to leverage, though I realize it wouldn't have been the best model for Primordia.)  Perhaps the best support we can get is just the nice word of mouth you're spreading; in the same vein, user reviews on GOG.com and Metacritic help a lot.  Some day we'll have another game; and Wadjet Eye obviously has several other games, both released ones and upcoming ones.

Regarding "Fallen," depending on what you've read, you've either read all of it (there are three parts and an epilogue), or you've missed several parts that are already out.  You can get it on www.PrimordiaGame.com/fallen_complete.pdf (or .epub), and you can find it on YouTube over here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vmtgUgifGQ.  As of this time, that's the last piece of Primordia-related writing I intend to do, but who knows?  I never planned on writing "Fallen" in the first place.

I've emailed Victor to let him know about your post, and I'm sure he'll be happy to supply you with some high res images.  In terms of other Primordia-related stuff . . . .  Hmm.  There are some lively discussions of the game over on the GOG.com forums, so if you're curious about the "back story," there's some good stuff there.  There's also a thread that contains first month or so of emails I exchanged with Vic about the story, which is perhaps interesting if you're curious how the story evolved.  Our Facebook site has some high-res art, and I post fan-art that I find, some of which is quite striking.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what else there is.  I could send you the design document, which is rather odd since it was written partway through development, then never updated, so it's neither a "roadmap" that we used in making the game nor an accurate picture of how the game ended up.  But it might be vaguely interesting.

Anyway, thanks again so much for the support and the wonderful message!

Best regards,

Mark
Wormwood Studios
Writer / Designer on Primordia

Offline Nimrod-0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:02:18 AM »
Thanks Mark! He did send me the catalog, some high res images, and other things...  ;)

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:30:40 PM »
Excellent!
Wormwood Studios
Writer / Designer on Primordia