Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Help with cryptic kiosk  (Read 10587 times)

Offline Findswoman

• View Profile
Help with cryptic kiosk
« on: August 03, 2013, 08:56:26 AM »
I wonder if someone might give me just a tiny little nudge in solving the puzzle of Memorious's cryptic info kiosk? Here's what I have done so far:

I typed "Memorious," then "Oblique," then "Redlien," but I can't seem to get past the cryptic haiku that pops up; I tried typing in every word in the poem, including trying some words with some mixed-up letters, but no success so far. I'm guessing the misspelling of "Redline" is helping establish some kind of pattern that couldn't be formed if the word were spelled correctly? Crispin's not being very helpful on this one.

This has all the signs of being a very interesting, unique, and rewarding puzzle, which is why I would like only a tiny nudge/hint so I can figure it out mostly by myself; there seem to be nothing but walkthroughs on the Internet these days!

(Incidentally... if anyone ever gets around to making a UHS Hints file for Primordia, that would be wonderful... see www.uhs-hints.com. It's the best system I know of for those of us who prefer small hints to a full walkthrough!)

Thanks so much,
Findswoman

Offline Findswoman

• View Profile
Re: Help with cryptic kiosk
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:28:34 AM »
Ah, now I think I'm starting to get it... it's just a matter of looking at the haiku in a different direction, sort of. Very, very clever, Mark! Maybe this is where the influence of Ulysses comes in? ;)

... Findswoman

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 11:00:49 AM »
:)  That is my favorite puzzle in the game, but the haiku part caused tons of people to give up.  I'm not sure if Ulysses is to blame; probably my mentor/professor in college who taught me the word "acrostic," stamping me indelibly with the most ridiculous of poetic techniques. . . .

I agree 100% that UHS solutions are the best.  The internal Crispin hint system was sort of supposed to work that way, but it didn't really.  If I did another adventure game, I wouldn't try to integrate the hints into an in-game character that way, I'd just use a built-in UHS-style hint system through the options menu (akin to what a lot of interactive fiction games do).
Wormwood Studios
Writer / Designer on Primordia

Offline Findswoman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »
Hey, acrostic has a long and distinguished history! It's one of the principal techniques in medieval Hebrew poetry, for example--alphabetic acrostic especially, but it was also a way for poets to sign their names right within the poem, to incorporate yet one more message, or both. Just like here!

I think that might have ended up being my favorite puzzle in the game, too. It's the sort of thing that could only have been pulled off by a game designer who was also an excellent writer. :)

As to hints... I found Crispin to be kind of a mixed bag in that department. On one hand, he definitely gave some that were useful; on the other hand, there were some that were just along the lines of, "Do something, boss!" or "I guess we need to find one more part of the council code"--naw, really? :) But propos the Memorious puzzle, I guess one of the main points was that such concepts as "art," "creation," etc. were beyond the ken of the average floating sidekick bot. Maybe.

Thanks,
Findswoman

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:19:42 PM »
Fascinating about medieval Hebrew poetry.  Anyway, thanks for the support and nice words!  Hope we can come up with some more games that suit your taste.
Wormwood Studios

Offline Findswoman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 11:11:11 PM »
:)  That is my favorite puzzle in the game.

Hmm... I was just checking out the commentary tracks today, and in one of them you said the puzzle of rebooting Goliath's brain with the binary code was your favorite. Which is also a very good one, too, and very enjoyable for those of us who cut our teeth on things like the Myst series and text games by Graham Nelson and the like. But I suppose it's OK to have more than one, especially if you're the one who created them all! :)

... Findswoman

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 01:10:02 AM »
Did I say it was my favorite or one of my favorites?  I can't remember.

I do like the reboot puzzle, too.  I'd totally forgotten about it!
Wormwood Studios

Offline Findswoman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 10:51:03 AM »
Gaah, now I can't remember which you said, nor can I check, because I'm at work! Of course it's totally permissible to have more than one favorite puzzle... I also actually enjoyed the Factorbuilts' logic puzzle as well.

... Finds