Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Trouble Opening Games with Wine on Mac  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Findswoman

• View Profile
Trouble Opening Games with Wine on Mac
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:01:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

I wonder if any other Mac users have had trouble getting Wadjet Eye games to run under the Wine Windows emulator? I downloaded The Shivah* and the Blackwell bundle because I thought I might be able to run them on my MacBook Pro (under Mac OS 10.7.5), but they simply won't launch—the icon in the dock just bounces a bit and then disappears.

The same thing happened when I downloaded the GOG version of Primordia, which (as I found out from Mark Y.) was made with an embedded version of Wine. At first the icon would open in the dock with the "running" light below and with a "Primordia" menu at the top of the screen, but nothing else would happen; then at one point I got some kind of X11 display options menu, but after that it won't even stay open anymore. I tried submitting an technical support query on GOG.com, but technical difficulties with their submission form kept me from doing so. Mark kindly provided me with the name of one of their guys to e-mail directly, but he just so happens to be on vacation right now! Just my luck.

So now I'm here, just in case anyone else has had similar trouble trying to run Wadjet Eye offerings (or anything else) under Mac OS and Wine. Am I using the wrong version of something? Is there some step I'm leaving out? (I'm rather a n00b at this sort of thing, so that wouldn't surprise me.) Any advice would be most welcome, because I just can't wait to delve further into your games!

Thanks so much,
Findswoman

* Incidentally, I'm very excited to hear that you're working on porting this one to iOS!

Offline Findswoman

• View Profile
Re: Trouble Opening Games with Wine on Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »
Cancel this--Primordia, at least, is working now. Turns out it was just a matter of (a) "bringing to the front" that funny X11 display options menu and then (b) clicking "Save and Run" instead of just "Save" (no idea why on earth there's just a "Save" without running option), so all's good now. What a dork I am for not having noticed this before!

There was just one funny little display glitch this morning--both my usual mouse cursor and the game's cursor were showing together, about an inch or two apart. A tad confusing, but not in any major way. Whew!

As for the other games... well, I'll see if the situation is similar. At least I have a lead now.

Thanks,
Findswoman

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble Opening Games with Wine on Mac
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 06:41:22 AM »
Oh - great! I'll refer people to this thread in case this issue crops up again. Sadly, I don't own a mac so it's difficult for me to support the WINE Mac versions (and why I don't sell them on my own store).

Primordia iOS might be awhile in coming. It's one of our bigger games and porting can take awhile (even longer when you just had a baby, like we did!). Which is why we're tackling the Shivah next. :)