Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: A few questions from a new guy :)  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Rich666

• View Profile
A few questions from a new guy :)
« on: July 30, 2013, 07:11:55 PM »
Heya,
I am new to the forum and to the game but I wanted to ask a few questions if I can. Some story related and others uh, not.

(please remember I only just got to Metropol, so no spoilers please)

1) Who voices Leopold the selling robot? I found it amusing that he sells 'hard to find items' and voice wise reminds me of Drebin from Metal Gear Solid 4. I seriously doubt it's the same guy doing the voices though.

2) The game takes a long time to open each time I start it up, is this normal? I mean 10 minutes and up sometimes.

3) Was the game designed to be like 'Beneath a Steel Sky'? I really like the setup with a main character and a helper, especially in the Steampunk-ish distopian future kind of world.

There was probably more I wanted to ask, but I'm sure I will think of more later. Thanks :)

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
Re: A few questions from a new guy :)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:48:30 AM »
Hi Rich,

Thanks for stopping by!  In terms of your questions:

(1) Daryl Lathon.  I never played any of the MGS games, so any similarities in characters is coincidental.  I'd be stunned if Daryl had worked on MGS4.

(2) No, that's not normal.  I have no idea what could be causing the problem -- I assume you're playing on a Windows PC not a Mac or Linux?  Steam version or GOG or direct from WEG?

(3) Victor, the artist and project lead, is a huge BASS fan.  The art and basic setup (which he came up with) were BASS-inspired, though there were lots of other inspirations as well.  I'm not a huge BASS fan, and I certainly didn't try to consciously model the plot or characters on the game.

Feel free to ask more questions!
Wormwood Studios
Writer / Designer on Primordia

Offline Rich666

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 01:50:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply :D

Drebin was voiced in the English version of MGS4 by    Khary Payton, so yeah it must just be a coincidence. Maybe it is just something I am imaging though, ah well.
Try doing youtube searches for 'Drebin MGS4' or something, see if it's just me :P

I am using the game which was installed from an exe file on a PC (though it's a Laptop), sorry if this seems like kind of basic information but I kind of suck at computer stuff :P I have no idea where it is from as I had my friend get it on here for me, though I have to assume it's from Steam as he was showing me Steam on here too.

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 01:15:00 AM »
Hmm.  No idea why it's loading so slowly.  You may want to ask your friend where it came from, and if it was not -- shall we say -- legitimately obtained, you may want to run a virus check on it just to make sure that the slow start-up isn't the result of some malicious code.  My guess, though, is that it's just the idiosyncracies of your system meshing with AGS, the engine that runs Primordia.  If it gets to be too much of a problem, let me know and I'll try to troubleshoot.  The game is short enough, and you're far enough in, that you'll probably be done before I solve the problem. :)

I listened to Drebin -- you're right, there is a similarity!
Wormwood Studios

Offline Rich666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
I think your idea of virus scans was a good one, apparently my whole computer was slow but I just never really noticed it over time, until I started up a game on here.
So not only does the game load quicker, but so does pretty much anything else. So thanks for suggesting it :D I know I should probably be doing the scans and stuff anyway, but I just forget most of the time.

Also this game isn't that short, because I suck at working stuff out, so luckily for me it's quite long ;D heh. Much like the Broken Sword games and other point & clicks really.

Thanks for your help :) and yeah I guess I am just hearing familiarity in a lot of robotic voices, because I swear earlier today I passed a robot in Metropol that sounded just like the GDI Eva unit from Command and Conquer :D

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 12:16:34 AM »
Glad to be of service!  Drop by again when you finish the game and let us know how you liked it.
Wormwood Studios

Offline Findswoman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »
So Daryl Lathon is Leopold! That was my guess, since he sounded awfully reminiscent of the two characters voiced by Lathon in Gemini Rue (the crazy prisoner next door and the Boryokudan guy in the office), and I'm guessing most game companies probably have a pool of voice actors they regularly return to. (Best example being, of course, Abe Goldfarb as Crispin, and I think the "storage bladders empty" robot might be Sarah Elmaleh.)

As to Leopold's name: Maybe I'm just a geek of the wrong kind, but I can't help thinking of Leopold Bloom from Joyce's Ulysses... any connection? Maybe it's because I'm theoretically reading Ulysses right now (though playing Primordia is so much more fun!).

... Findswoman

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 11:03:28 AM »
I honestly can't remember what I had in mind when I named him Leopold.  Looking back at the first mention I made of him in a chat log, I didn't say "the name is an allusion to X, Y, Z," which I often did when I named other characters (like Horatio and Crispin).  I think I might have just enjoyed the assonance and consonance of Leopold Steeplebuilt.

[EDIT: I did read Ulysses, but back in 2006 -- seems too remote from when I named Leopold Steeplebuilt (four years) for it to have been a strong influence.]
Wormwood Studios