Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Unused items  (Read 6269 times)

Offline newme

• View Profile
Unused items
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:20:51 PM »
So what of Tape deck(when found) and the LP record?
What of the sad fellow?

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
Re: Unused items
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:35:17 PM »
The tape deck is purely an Easter egg.

The LP was, originally, going to play a role in a puzzle involving the repair bot and the bar, where you'd get the bar to play the record and various robots would show up to dance.  It was cut because it didn't really jibe with the mood, and would require a lot of coding and art.  As it stands, it's just flavor -- shows that Horatio has no idea what a child is.

The sad robot demonstrates the futility of passivity, and Horatio's inability to solve everyone's problem.
Wormwood Studios
Writer / Designer on Primordia

Offline newme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:11:51 AM »
Good game, fun yet thought-provoking. The "nameplate" is really great.  I had to play several times to notice it half-buried there. ;)

Hoping for a part Two.

Offline Wayfahrer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:48:28 AM »
The sad robot demonstrates the futility of passivity, and Horatio's inability to solve everyone's problem.

Oh i thought the sad robot was to about the falcity that in a facist sociaty at least the trains run one time (Coined by Mussolini)(which is false)

Source:
http://www.snopes.com/history/govern/trains.asp
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:51:07 AM by Wayfahrer »

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »
Yeah -- that's what the sign is there for.  (I mentioned this in a Something Awful Let's Play thread.)  But the sad robot himself serves a slightly different role. :)
Wormwood Studios

Offline Findswoman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 12:33:57 PM »
I had been wondering about the record, too, because I'd feared I'd missed something. (At one point I even tried to take the train back to the Dunes to play it on the phonograph back on the UNNIIC--impossible, I know!) Your originally planned scene of playing it at the bar sounds fun, and I don't think it would have been overly incompatible with the game's affect--there are plenty of other funny, happy moments in the game, as well, and it would have been fun to have more to do at the bar.

( propos Gimbal: it might have been nice if Horatio could have been rewarded in some way for going the extra mile to put the copper wire back in Gimbal's motor. In real life, of course, a good deed is its own reward... but in adventure games it's slightly different, no? ;) Or am I missing something here, too?

As to the sad fellow: It's not that Horatio and Crispin don't TRY to help him with his problem; their inability to help is not because of them but because of him (if that makes sense):there are just some people in this world whom no one can help. (As a lawyer, Mark, I'm sure you have firsthand experience with this!)

... Findswoman

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 12:39:33 AM »
Regarding Gimbal: If you don't fix the motor first, he doesn't join you at the UNNIIC in the ending.  It's a pretty subtle difference.  The same is true of most of the "optimal" puzzle solutions throughout; the only one that has any more serious consequence is smashing the monitor containing Gamma.
Wormwood Studios

Offline Findswoman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 09:23:25 PM »
Ah, I see. I guess I didn't really look hard at those robots at the very end! I just noticed that several of them were ones I'd met before and didn't realized it changed according to the method of solving certain puzzles. But now that I'm in full "achievements" mode I'll keep an eye out!

Incidentally, while we're still on the topic of unused items: is it at all possible to get the water chip, circuit board, and glass finger from Leopold? I take it the latter would require that you find the glass finger in the junkpile somehow without prompting from Ever-Faithful? And what the Sam Hill is a "geck," anyhow? :)

Thanks, as always,
Findswoman

Offline MarkYohalem

• View Profile
    • Wormwood Studios
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 11:26:21 AM »
No, you can't get those items. :)

A G.E.C.K. is a Garden of Eden Creation Kit.  The water chip is the McGuffin in Fallout 1, and the G.E.C.K. is the McGuffin in Fallout 2.
Wormwood Studios