Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Selling games made with Adventure Game Studio  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Ghost81

• View Profile
Selling games made with Adventure Game Studio
« on: March 11, 2017, 03:26:49 AM »
Hello, since I have been considering developing a commercial game using Adventure Game Studio, I have a question for the Wadeye Games staff concerning copyright.

Some time ago I read on the AGS legal FAQ page that the situation concerning copyright and legal matters for AGS-made games is a bit murky, namely because of copyrighted fonts and libraries that Chris Jones used without authorization in creating the software. As a result, most AGS-made games I have seen have been made available as freeware in the past (Herald of Ragnarok is a notable example).

My question is, since many of the games you have made over the years have been developed using AGS and are sold for money, did you find a way to resolve these copyright issues? Were you contacted by anyone concerning this, or was this brought up at all when submitting the games to Steam, GOG and other outlets?

Thanks.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Selling games made with Adventure Game Studio
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 07:11:34 AM »
The best way to avoid this is to not use any of the default fonts that come bundles with AGS! That said, Chris Jones is very familiar with my work and if I inadvertently violated his copyright I imagine he would have said something by now.

Offline Ghost81

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 02:29:56 PM »
The best way to avoid this is to not use any of the default fonts that come bundles with AGS! That said, Chris Jones is very familiar with my work and if I inadvertently violated his copyright I imagine he would have said something by now.
Thanks for the reply.

I think the issue is not so much in Chris Jones having a problem with it, but rather the third parties who own the libraries he used in making AGS, at least that's what he says in his FAQ.

I'm probably fretting over nothing anyway: I doubt anyone minds after all the years this software has been out.

By the way, i like your games very much, keep up the great work.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:54:03 AM by Ghost81 »

Offline JanG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 03:06:19 PM »
Most AGS-made games don't really sell large enough amounts for this to be an issue. I've never heard of anyone getting sued. AGS is open source right now. If your game is the new Minecraft you might get problems. I think most AGS creators don't sell their game mainly because selling a commercial game is a hassle and it's just a hobby for most people.