Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Rain Rain Rain  (Read 7961 times)

Offline billyboob

• View Profile
Rain Rain Rain
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:58:47 AM »
Rain is missing on right hand side. About 1 to 2 cm from window or fullscreen border. Tried all sorts of combinations of setup options, filters, gfx drivers, window modes etc. Anyone seen this before? Minor inconvenience. Not a new thing. Just never got around to asking for help :)

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rain Rain Rain
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »
This happens on some computers when you save and restore on rooms with rain. We're still not sure what the cause is. It's a combination of Direct3D, the 16 bit graphics, and configurations of modern hardware. The only advice we can give is to avoid saving/loading in rooms with rain. Apologies for that.

Offline billyboob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:27:44 PM »
That's cool. Should point out this happens for me straight out of the box (new install, new windows partition, no saves). Must be hardware/driver thing. Back to the investigationing. Thx!

Offline billyboob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 10:35:11 PM »
So I downloaded the Indie Royale version of Gemini Rue and it runs without this bug. I'm not sure what version Steam is using. The only difference is I think the Indie Royale version still uses the old rain plugin (ags_snowrain.dll?).

To make sure it had nothing to do with save files for the Steam version I uninstalled the game, deleted any directories and files to do with the game, disabled all syncing in steam (steam client and the game itself), deleted any steam files that had any info on the game (somewhere something had remembered that I had used --setup in the Gemini Rue properties and I managed to delete whatever it was), rebooted, and re-installed the game.

Still has rain bug. It's all good though. Now I can play Gemini Rue in all it's glory using the Indie Royale version while I try to work out what's causing this glitch with the Steam version. If I'm correct about the Indie Royale version still using the rain plugin can I request that any future updates for Indie Royale version add the updated installer alongside the old version and not replace it (maybe with an explanation).

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:28:59 AM »
Hm. The indie royale version and the Steam version should be one and the same! Unless the indie royale guys didn't update it when I sent it to them.

The history of this bug is a long one. When the game was first released, it used the AGS snow/rain plugin which prevented the game from running in Direct3D mode. It could only run in DirectDraw mode. DirectDraw is very antiquated and it stopped the game from running at all on Win 7 laptops (it froze during startup). We tried for months to find a fix, and ended up just biting the bullet and creating a totally new version of the snow/rain plugin that could run in Direct3D mode. Unfortunately, this created ANOTHER problem - the half-screen-black issue that was reported here. We have yet to sort out why this happens, but we think it's to do with the fact that the game was made in 16 bit mode, a mode that is hardly supported anymore and many modern computers don't know what to do with. It happens rarely, but when it does happen it is only when you save your game in a room with rain.

Offline someone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:28:56 AM »
I just wanted to clarify that the talk here is in fact about two different glitches.
1. Loading a saved game in a room with rain leaves the background of the right half of the screen showing uninitialized memory until the room is left.
2. In all rooms with rain there is a small border on the right hand side where no rain comes down. Never ever, from start on, undependent of savegame status.

Offline ThatNickGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »
I ran into this issue a few times, as well, from the GoG version I bought and downloaded. I found it was easily solved by walking over to another location/screen and back.
It's a surreal feeling, but my first novel is now available to buy at Amazon. Go look for The City of Smoke & Mirrors by Nick Piers.