Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Joey's Motives  (Read 6575 times)

JusMeJusB

Joey's Motives
« on: September 25, 2012, 11:44:51 PM »
I was replaying the Blackwell games, and something got me to thinking.  Sometimes, I wonder how invested Joey is in his situation, aside from his own hopes that he’ll someday fulfill his quota and be allowed to cross over.

Some factors that made me wonder (game spoilers!):

•   In the Legacy game, he threatens to make Rosangela’s life a living hell when she moves to confess his existence to Lauren’s doctor.  He says the same thing to her at the end of Convergence.  Did he actually try this on Lauren while she suffered her own meltdown?
•   His agitation when Lauren took it upon herself to reconnect with her family, i.e., Rosa's parents at their wedding.
•   His panic in Convergence when Rosa yanked the Countess into herself.  His final words before she woke up weren’t “Please be alright,” but “I’m not spending 20 years over another hospital bed.  Get up, or I’ll kill you!”

Obviously, being stuck to two women who went crazy would be no picnic—but how personally involved is he in the welfare of his hosts?  He starts to release some emotion for Rosa in Deception (which I thoroughly fangirled over) when Gavin tries to suck her dry.  But is it just a “biding his time,” “saying ‘nice doggy’ until you can find a rock’” relationship?

Whew.  Sorry for the over-analysis.

MissyMI

Re: Joey's Motives
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:25:03 PM »
Interesting topic. And hooray for over-analyzers.   :)

(**GAME SPOILERS BELOW**)
I think Joey does genuinely care about his 'hosts'. He literally fought to keep Lauren safe from the Countess and worked to snap Rosangela out of Gavin's influence. If he was just biding his time, I don't think he'd go to those lengths.

But he seems to prefer action in general rather than dwelling on (or dealing with) his emotional attachments. It's not only with the Blackwell women. Out of all the ghosts they've saved throughout the games, Joey seemed the most fond of Jamie, but after she moved on, he accepts it and immediately focuses on stopping Gavin.

Same thing when Joey encounters Danny at the nursing home. You'd think he'd be eager to talk to someone he actually knew in life (or saved?) but instead he flat out refuses to go near him, and Danny's mouseover text even displays 'Nobody' from Joey's perspective.

So I think something pretty crazy would have to happen for him to get all touchy-feely with Rosangela. Maybe if he'd had a lot of ghost alcohol, if there is such a thing.  :D But I don't think that means he's isn't fond of 'Red' or ever intended her or Lauren harm. Pushing their buttons? Absolutely. But not actual harm.

Offline frederic09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:23:03 AM »
I was replaying the Blackwell games, and something got me to thinking.  Sometimes, I wonder how invested Joey is in his situation, aside from his own hopes that he’ll someday fulfill his quota and be allowed to cross over.Whew.  Sorry for the over-analysis.

Hi, i was curious about that as well, and here's some theories.

Some factors that made me wonder (game spoilers!):

•   In the Legacy game, he threatens to make Rosangela’s life a living hell when she moves to confess his existence to Lauren’s doctor.  He says the same thing to her at the end of Convergence.  Did he actually try this on Lauren while she suffered her own meltdown?Whew.  Sorry for the over-analysis.

It's very simple, he wouldn't know how will react the doctor about the "truth".

Will he put Rosa on an asylum ?
Will he do some experiments on her ?

I don't think the doctor will laugh and do nothing. Because if Rosa is unable to do her "work", she will "burn" like her aunt.

And if you were Joey, would you like to be stucked - a second time - in a room for like 40 years ? I don't think so, and that's why he was aggressive to Rosa.

To finish, I would like to see the doctor as a ghost, just to mess with Rosa and Joey "adventure".

•   His agitation when Lauren took it upon herself to reconnect with her family, i.e., Rosa's parents at their wedding.Whew.  Sorry for the over-analysis.
Why are you sorry ?

Joey said in Legacy, that there were a little girl who needed to be "saved". And the fact that he doesn't like taking "breaks" (like going in Josie's gallery the 1st time).

If he's into 100% into his job, it's maybe because he doesn't know how the crazyness works for the mediums, so he just want to finish the "saving" as soon as possible...

•   His panic in Convergence when Rosa yanked the Countess into herself.  His final words before she woke up weren’t “Please be alright,” but “I’m not spending 20 years over another hospital bed.  Get up, or I’ll kill you!”Whew.  Sorry for the over-analysis.

Maybe it's because he was afraid of the worst. If Rosa was killed by the Countess inside her own body, what will happen ? "Rosa's corpse" will be in a lifeless state, until the day she dies. So like for Lauren, he will be stucked in a hospital room for 20-40 years.

Obviously, being stuck to two women who went crazy would be no picnic—but how personally involved is he in the welfare of his hosts?  He starts to release some emotion for Rosa in Deception (which I thoroughly fangirled over) when Gavin tries to suck her dry.  But is it just a “biding his time,” “saying ‘nice doggy’ until you can find a rock’” relationship?

If Joey help Rosa/Lauren, it's because he's like that.
If a friend is in danger, he will not think about the past, only the present.
Do we know how close he was to Danny when he saved him ?

Whew.  Sorry for the over-analysis.

Lol, don't worry.

magicklorelai

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »
Just to add my two cents on the subject...

Joey isn't a man of sentiment or dwelling on that emotional stuff. In fact, he seems to actively avoid it. When he can, he dodges emotional vulnerability with a joke or a feint, passing it off and kicking the sentimental can down the road to deal with later. He lies, he refuses to answer questions, or he redirects Rosangela to focus on her job as a medium.

When Rosangela's life or well-being is in danger, the way he copes with his anxiety over possibly losing her is by replacing it with anger-- so instead of "Oh god, she might die!" it's "DON'T YOU DARE DO THIS TO ME!!". Anger is easier to vent than anxiety. Plus, he can focus on his personal inconvenience- being locked up wherever she is for years, with nothing to do- instead of the possibility of losing one of the few people he's able to connect with.

And when he can't escape that vulnerability, he outright avoids it, or he unravels. You can even hear it in his voice(props to Abe Goldfarb for this) when he's come across something he can't dismiss or joke about, and how distressed he is. And those few moments when he does finally open up, just a bit, on how he feels, he's a lot softer and warmer in his speech.

In short, Joey just isn't someone comfortable opening up with his vulnerability, and deflects it every chance he gets-- hence some of his more self-concerned moments.

Dark_Spiral

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 09:11:46 PM »
My own two cents:

Lauren's had it much easier than Joey has. Her mind has been so off the pain she feels is temporary. It comes and goes, but Joey? He had to sit there and watch her suffer, he had to linger by that bed and deal with every moment knowing he could do nothing, that he'd failed his host. Lauren was more than just a host to him though, she was a friend. It's not just about filling his quota, it's about opening himself up and risking that he'll have to endure that all over again.

He has to live(pardon the pun) every day, fully aware of what happened. Add that with his own past, which this same organization of fakes could have been involved in. They've existed for how many years at the expense of others? They clearly know a great deal about Ros and her family.

JusMeJusB

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:22:09 AM »
Thanks so much for all of the two cents.  And thanks, MissyMI and frederic09, for the approval of over-analyzers.  ;D  My first post was originally twice as long, but I cut it to save everyone's eyes.

When Rosangela's life or well-being is in danger, the way he copes with his anxiety over possibly losing her is by replacing it with anger-- so instead of "Oh god, she might die!" it's "DON'T YOU DARE DO THIS TO ME!!". Anger is easier to vent than anxiety.

And when he can't escape that vulnerability, he outright avoids it, or he unravels. You can even hear it in his voice(props to Abe Goldfarb for this) when he's come across something he can't dismiss or joke about, and how distressed he is. And those few moments when he does finally open up, just a bit, on how he feels, he's a lot softer and warmer in his speech.

Definite, definite props to Abe Goldfarb for his work as Joey Mallone.  It's his growing inflection in each game that really caught me up--and made me think of his affection for the Blackwell women in the first place.  I durn near teared up at the anguish in Joey's voice as he struggled to break Rosa free of Gavin's control.

Well, okay.  I did tear up.

I think Joey does genuinely care about his 'hosts'. He literally fought to keep Lauren safe from the Countess and worked to snap Rosangela out of Gavin's influence. If he was just biding his time, I don't think he'd go to those lengths.  But he seems to prefer action in general rather than dwelling on (or dealing with) his emotional attachments.

This is a very good point.  Obviously, different personalities deal with certain situations in different ways--i.e., not everyone is an open book.  And Joey is always quick to shut down any discussion about his past.  I thought at first that he was some big-shot gangster who had performed some heinous crimes in his heyday, but I much prefer the direction that the games are heading.

I love the Rosa/Joey partnership and would be devastated to find out that Joey hasn't developed at least a fondness for his most recent host, if not more...but that's just me. ::)  I was reading another post and discovered that Mr. Gilbert might have left some very interesting tidbits throughout the games' commentaries...so I may have to re-rig my Mac and pull those bad boys back up.

Offline Kashi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »

Definite, definite props to Abe Goldfarb for his work as Joey Mallone.  It's his growing inflection in each game that really caught me up--and made me think of his affection for the Blackwell women in the first place.  I durn near teared up at the anguish in Joey's voice as he struggled to break Rosa free of Gavin's control.

Well, okay.  I did tear up.
That also happened to me (many thanks to Abe Goldfarb from me too!). Granted, Joey does make me want to whack him the head sometimes with his apparent lack of feelings but that is just his way of coping, I think. That and being super shallow (anyone else remember him ogling that film industry secretary in Convergence?) .
I really think he cares about Rosangela though, he just doesn't like showing his feelings in general.