Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Mac versions of Wadjet Eye Games  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Jeaz

• View Profile
Mac versions of Wadjet Eye Games
« on: September 07, 2012, 01:07:48 PM »
Hey,

Now, I know this has been discussed on the forums some before, but I'd like to poke at this subject once again: I'd love to see Mac ports of your games, with Wine ports being the easiest and simplest way to do it.

As far as I understand, the two main concerns you have are the legal bits and support.
Regarding the legal bits it's actually not that complicated at all. The license is actually rather simple - you are allowed to use Wineskin or Wine in a commercial product, as long as you share any source code of any changed parts of Wineskin or Wine. That doesn't mean you need to share the source of the actual game. You can see comments from the creator of Wineskin on the subject here as an example.
To further this argument, CDProjekt Red used Wine for their port of The Witcher, and the Mac version of Steam has support for Wine ports.

The second bit is maybe little trickier, but I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems enlisting community support and I do think support would be rather minimal. What you could do is try it with one game and see how it goes. Heck, if I could I'd license the games from ya and do the Mac versions, I'm that sure that it wouldn't be a big problem :-P

Actually making the ports takes five minutes and run perfectly. It's actually very easy to make the port, but far from all Mac users are familiar or comfortable with the process. Of course there'd have to be some QA testing but Macs are overall easier to support than Windows since there's less variation in hardware.

The ports could then be sold at both the Mac App Store, or as SteamPlay on Steam.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:52:07 PM by Jeaz »

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mac versions of Wadjet Eye Games
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »
Porting is happening, albeit slowly. We're porting one game at a time, one platform at a time. We're working on porting Gemini Rue to iOS at the moment, since we think it will give us the biggest bang for our buck. Once that's working, it's a simple matter to bang it over to Mac. So as I've said before. It will happen one day. :)