Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Do you have a "Forever" game?  (Read 15244 times)

Offline Werewhiskey

• View Profile
Re: Do you have a "Forever" game?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
The Age of Wonders series and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

I also play through Crusader of Centy (aka Soleil), Landstalker and Shining Force II for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive at least once every year, for some reason (probably nostalgia!).

Offline Darcorn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 09:08:39 AM »
My "forever games" are quite a few but if I had to choose the "foreverest" of them I'd choose..........Wing Commander IV and the Crusader series of games (No Remorse, No Regret). I love both games for their massive fun, replayability factor and of course the fact that both are FMV (for those not in the know FMV stands for Full Motion Video) games which are  rare nowadays I am a sentimental kind of guy and love returning to my "old videogame haunts" :)

Offline tnzk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 11:46:42 PM »
My forever game is Shenmue II. It's funny, because it is a game which is set on being a tale that has a beginning and an end, but the way it goes about painting 1980s Hong Kong in its adventure/RPG design is so mesmerizing. I probably play it at least once a year  :D.

Offline Cazamelia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 05:21:49 PM »
The Longest Journey closely followed by Dreamfall :) I just love the story, the characters, the worlds...pretty much everything :D

Also The Kings Quest Series.....these games were the first computer games I ever played, bar some really old text adventures I can't remember the names of. I didn't like KQ 8 so much (although I completed it I didn't like it enough to have wanted to replay) but loved & grew up playing the rest of the series and they're the games that got me into the adventure genre in the first place :)

Offline Rados

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 12:34:45 AM »
I have a few forever games divided by Genre:

In the Startegy arena: Master of Magic (quite possibly the most perfect 4x strategy game ever) There have been a few spiritual sucessors over the years and especially as of late, but nothing has come close to the original it's been on every single one of my computers since, well since ive had a computer and continues to take up a now insignificant amount of space on even my latest gaming machine.

In the adventure genre: The Quest for Glory series. If there has ever been a better blend of RPG and adventure I haven't found it. I still haven't found another adventure game that allows for multiple approaches and solutions to almost every puzzle, (as it should be) nor a series that allows you to progress a single character through the span of 5 games, retaining his skills and stats as you go, though I hear Mass Effect does this.
 (seriously? it took over a decade for someone else to realize that this was a brilliant idea, that invested players in a series?)

In the shooter Arena: Halo (The Original)

My friends and I have been playing this game since it was released and we are probably going to be the last people remaining on the Halo 1 servers when they shut down its just so much fun. We tried moving on to halo 2 but the damn thing would not install on some of our copies of Win 7 for reasons even our most thorough tech support inquiries couldn't answer...so we stuck with the original...no regrets.

Those are my top 3 forever games.

Offline Alyssa

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 12:46:03 PM »
For me, it's Theme Hospital. I've been playing that game since I was a kid and I'm still just as addicted to it as ever. It holds up really well for an older game, and it has enough challenge to keep me interested.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 is a lot like an interactive novel, and I go back to it the same way I would a favorite book.

I have a feeling Skyrim is going to become a "forever" game for me as well. I can't get enough of it. I've put a ton of hours into it, but I'm already considering starting it up again with a new character. Open-world games make for really good "forever" games because there's just so much to explore.

Offline h4di

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 11:18:54 AM »
My forever game is Half Life 1. I played it 14 years ago when I was in highschool and I had such an enormous experience with the story, graphics, level design and game play that I will never ever forget it. I think I have finished the game for more that 50 times. In some points in my life I could imagine the game and play it in my mind from the beginning to the end!!
But I stop playing it a few years ago, give the poor thing a rest. :D I still have the CD in my collection. And when I feel missing it I watch a walkthrough in youtube.

Offline Heater

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 04:39:19 PM »
as far as adventure games go, for me its full throttle, gabriel knight 1, and broken sword 1.

my favorite game of all time though is wing commander 4, and the wing commander series is my favorite series of all time.

Offline Rocka3030

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 10:18:35 PM »
You gotta love the old Lucas Arts game Full Throttle , I just love bashing the other gangs with all kind of kick ass weapons on the mine road :)

Offline persival

• "Argue for your limitations and you'll keep them."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 12:27:18 AM »
Really good question...there's unfortunately no way I could have just 1 forever game. More like a top 50..but I'll only leave a few...

#1-#4 would probably be the Quest for Glory (QFG) series [Minus Game #5]  Most NPC characters  were fleshed out well and I never felt like the puzzles were overly difficult.  You also had the choice to solve most puzzles in one of three ways [Fighter/Mage/Thief]...and later [Paladin] I still play them to this day because I've only ever gotten all 500 points on QFG II-Trial by Fire.

#5 Starflight I - To this day I relish in scouring new planets for resources. It hasn;t aged well, but it scratches a certain itch no game in my STEAM collection can.

#6 Monkey Island I - The story is awesome, the humor is subtle and goofy, the characters are very unique and fleshed out, and the LucasArts nostalgia is cathartic.

#7 Fallout I - No hand-holding, just you against the wasteland. Pretty awesome story too.

Offline Reubs1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 04:13:41 AM »
For me, it's any of the games in the Ace Attorney series. I play through one of the titles every couple of years or so. Yelling "OBJECTION!" into my DS microphone is so satisfying!

I'd say that Full Throttle would be a close contender as well, mostly because it's short and can easily be completed in a few hours. Useful whenever I need an adventure game fix.

Offline Heater

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »
I cant wait to by the remastered version of full throttle, for no other reason than the commentary. I also love the music and will argue that full throttle has the best opening scene in videogame history. it is forever scratched into my brain.

ben- " Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had, before I blacked out; the thick smell of asphalt. And the first thing I saw when I woke up was her face. She said she'd fix my bike, Free, No strings attached. I should have known then that things are never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen I think of two things: asphalt... and trouble.

Offline Rocka3030

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 04:34:48 PM »
Full Throttle is a childhood favorite of mine, hoping they were going to release the sequel at one point but it got cancelled  :-\

If you like that you should definitely check out Kathy Rain  8)

Offline lmd1986

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »
Broken Sword 1 & 2  :)

Offline Nowhere Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 10:31:17 AM »
Sure. For example the "Ecoquest" (unfortunately-mini-)series, "Hand of Fate" ("Legend of Kyrandia 2"), "King's Quest" 1 (the 1990 hi-res EGA remake or the fan-made VGA remake with the comfort of using a mouse instead of typing), 4 and 6, the Dizzy games... So mostly games I have played at school period. I don't really feel much nostalgia for that time - I was considered a weirdo and not much liked by others, and I like being 35, having slightly grey hair, and knowing I'm not considered a kid anymore (I just wrote I'm an adult child... but, on the other hand, I never really identified with the concept of "being young". I rather prefer a combination of mature and childish...) - but I guess my taste for games kinda got stuck around that period.
And one more thing: any adventure game is educational. I started learning English around the age of six, but at eleven, when I first had an opportunity, I still couldn't really hold a conversation in English. And then - suddenly, unnoticed - I discovered I had learned a lot by playing adventure games. I always loved reading, but I found learning from games easier than from books - maybe because the English-language books I had at that time weren't very interesting...