Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Favorite adventure game?  (Read 8672 times)

Offline TheBlindKnight

• View Profile
Favorite adventure game?
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:55:46 PM »
What's your favorite adventure game?

I don't think this is my favorite but I've been playing the Walking Dead episodes from Telltale Games recently and they are just great. Very easy to get immersed in and probably the most 'moldable' narrative I've ever played, allowing multiple difficult and meaningful decisions. It's hard to imagine how many different routes the series could play out, and that's really cool.

Offline Jazzy

• View Profile
Re: Favorite adventure game?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »
Hmm, favorite? I don't quite know as I have several that I got on sale and haven't played yet. I'm playing The Next Big Thing right now and it's pretty cool. I have the first 20 of Nancy Drew, so that's gotta say something for those, lol. I love The Secrets of Monkey Island series. I'd have to say my favorite would be Tomb Raider (not including Lara Croft and the GoL; the controls throw the whole thing off for me) because I've been a huge fan since my first Game Boy Advance game.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »
Pff. On this website, there's only a few correct answers to this question!

(but for me it's Discworld Noir. Horribly outdated now, but I remember wanting to make a game just like it)

Offline Jazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:35:03 PM »
Blackwell! Resonance! Shivah!

Is that better? Lol

Offline AvidPuzzler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:44:33 PM »
It depends on my mood.  Right now, I like Resonance and Da New Guys when I just want to kick back and relax and Gemini Rue when I feel like a film noir style mystery adventure game. 

Offline magicklorelai

• View Profile
    • Let's Play! Channel
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »
I've got quite a few of them, many of them developed by WadjetEye- namely, the Blackwell series, for one- but I have to dig into the classic Lucasarts and Sierra games of my youth to answer this accurately.

I spent hours playing King's Quests 5, 6, and 7 (I tried 8, it didn't work out), The Quest for Glory series, and The Dig. I regret that I hadn't played more of their games!
"There are very few at ease with moral ambiguities, so we act as though they don't exist!" ~ 'Wonderful', Wicked.

Offline DaeSkaarj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:41:08 PM »
Gabriel Knight.  The depth of that game was so unworldly, for a game in '320x240' the visuals were haunting and the calming soundtrack, I feel, has such an contrast to the scenarios the protagonist faces that it was like living the nightmare.  The puzzles were jumping the shark at times but the story was like finding a treasure map in the attic. 

Offline Werewhiskey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »
Definitely 'The Curse of Monkey Island' for me, followed very closely by both 'Toonstruck' and 'The Book of Unwritten Tales'.

Offline flyingninja1234

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 11:02:40 PM »
I don't really have one favorite, but here are some I really like:
The Walking Dead
Gemini Rue
Primordia
The Shivah
Beneath a Steel Sky
The Dig
Sam & Max series
The Monkey Island series
and many more.

Offline ThatNickGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »
Oh God, that's like picking a favourite child. No, you can't make me!

...well, okay.

Aside from Wadjet Eye games? I mean, I grew up on adventure games, starting as early as the original King's Quest and all the Sierra games, later with the amazing LucasArts games, and all the great modern ones like Syberia and Machinarum.

Favourites, though? Hmm.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father, hands down. It's got the most diverse point-and-click system (if a little complicated), a great main character, and an engaging mystery. I still love downloading it from GoG every once in awhile.
It's a surreal feeling, but my first novel is now available to buy at Amazon. Go look for The City of Smoke & Mirrors by Nick Piers.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 10:11:16 AM »
Funny you mention GK, Nickguy. Janet and I recently went to New Orleans and we did the "Gabriel Knight tour" - all of which took maybe twenty minutes! The french quarter is not that big, so it's easy to see all the locations very quickly. I used to feel lame about setting most of the "real world" Blackwell locations in and around the East Village (which is where I live), but if Gabriel Knight can get away with it so can I!

Offline ThatNickGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »
Did you visit the cult's underground hideout, too?

...wait, hang on.

Heh, but seriously, that's cool. GK's one of the reasons I'd love to visit New Orleans someday. And don't feel guilty at all using real-world locations in your games. Personally, I think it adds an authenticity to it.
It's a surreal feeling, but my first novel is now available to buy at Amazon. Go look for The City of Smoke & Mirrors by Nick Piers.

Offline Cazamelia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 05:28:03 PM »
The Longest Journey
Dreamfall
Blackwell Series
Emerald City Confidential
American Mggees Alice & Alice: Madness Returns (although they are more action/adventures)
Shadow of the Comet
The Legend of Kyrandia Trilogy
Kings Quest series

& several others :)

Offline h4di

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »
Hi everyone, This is my first post in Wadjet eye. :)
Here goes my list. There is no order preference. I just love them all, depends on my mood. :D

Early Silent Hill games
Early Resident Evil games
Gemini Rue
Dreamfall Series
Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit)
A New Beginning
Beneath a Steel Sky
Machinarium

Serious stories are my favored thing but I also enjoy playing games like Hector series.
Daedalic and Wadjet Eye are doing great and I love playing their games.