Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Was wondering about the Sprite Animation?  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Darkwolf

• View Profile
Was wondering about the Sprite Animation?
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:09:50 PM »
I was wondering about the sprite animation from the Blackwell games & Specifically Blackwell Convergence & Resonance which I've noticed similarities in the spriting between the two. I assume they are done by the same artists? I have been trying to achieve to draw detailed sprites. But they never come out as nicely detailed and smooth as others I've seen. I know some people use a art form called rotoscoping (I hope thats the right word) and was wondering if that was used for your games or were they drawn from scratch. I'd love to learn hot to draw sprites such as the ones in your games. So when I design my games they can look well made. Specifically a horror game I've been dyeing to make but I can't seem to get the look I want. Anyway if you any info to help that would be great thank you very much!

Offline DaeSkaarj

• View Profile
Re: Was wondering about the Sprite Animation?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:25:51 PM »
Rotoscoping is when you draw your image over an established picture, like projecting a frame onto a canvas and shaping the picture from there.  It's used in 3D imaging and tacky pop art quite often.

Record the dimensions of a skeleton from your sprite and move them accordingly; an easy way to exemplify this would be to use graph paper and a ruler to move limbs from their initial joints relative to the size of the appendage, like a compass from a pivot point.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Was wondering about the Sprite Animation?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »
Convergence and Resonance both had the same sprite artist, yes! His name is Shane Stevens and goes by the name ProgZMax on this forum. He also has a website called Pixelgeddon.