Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: Do you need an engine to make a point/click RPG?  (Read 10667 times)

Offline nogert

• View Profile
Do you need an engine to make a point/click RPG?
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:19:17 AM »
Hi I'm a long time point and click player, a great fan of the old Lucas arts classics. I just started playing gemeni rue and it's really inspired me to start working on my own point and click rpg. But, I have a few problems, there seems to be a lack of resources based on point and click rpg's and I would really appreciate if someone could help me with a few questions!

First off, do you need an external engine to make point and click rpg's? Or is it possible to make them from scratch (bare in mind it's only a two man team)

If it's better to use engines, what does Wadjeteye games use? And where can I find more information about other engines?

Thanks for reading.

Offline Rognik

• View Profile
Re: Do you need an engine to make a point/click RPG?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 01:56:17 AM »
I don't make games, but I know a lot of smaller companies use a premade engine as their base. Making your own engine tends to be a long and time-extensive method (not that I know much about making one). I believe most of Wadjet Eye Games use the AGD engine for their point-and-click games. I've seen a bunch of smaller RPGs made, but I don't know what engine they use. Hope that gives you a starting point.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »
There's no engine that we know of, otherwise we'd be using it! There's RPG Maker, which lets you make old-school Japanese RPGs in the style of Final Fantasy 6. They are mostly keyboard controlled, but they do have mouse support.

Offline nogert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:17:42 AM »
There's no engine that we know of, otherwise we'd be using it! There's RPG Maker, which lets you make old-school Japanese RPGs in the style of Final Fantasy 6. They are mostly keyboard controlled, but they do have mouse support.

Really? Was the Black well and Gemeni Rue series coded from scratch? I could have sworn I read somewhere that the blackwell series was recently remade in AGS :S

Idealy we want something that could help us create a game like Monkey island or something like Gemini Rue, but we didn't really know where to look.

I don't make games, but I know a lot of smaller companies use a premade engine as their base. Making your own engine tends to be a long and time-extensive method (not that I know much about making one). I believe most of Wadjet Eye Games use the AGD engine for their point-and-click games. I've seen a bunch of smaller RPGs made, but I don't know what engine they use. Hope that gives you a starting point.

Thanks, I've heard of AGS but not AGD I'll check it out.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:19:17 AM »
Oh, we DEFINITELY used an engine called AGS (adventure game studio). I meant that if there was a point-and-click RPG engine, we'd be using it. :) We tried to make one ourselves last year, but it's a huuuge undertaking.

And I think AGD was a typo intending to be AGS.

Offline nogert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »
Oh, we DEFINITELY used an engine called AGS (adventure game studio). I meant that if there was a point-and-click RPG engine, we'd be using it. :) We tried to make one ourselves last year, but it's a huuuge undertaking.

Ah I see, well I'm looking into AGS right now! Thanks for the help, We've also found an engine called winter mute, it looks promising but I think it costs to buy a license.

Offline nogert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »
Oh I should probably add, when I said RPG I didn't actually mean RPG, I got my terminology mixed up, I meant adventure haha. I'm a tool.

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 08:06:04 PM »
Ah. In that case you can't go wrong with AGS. :)

Offline Damian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
I have just found your games and like WOW they look great... I am so looking forward to playing Gemini Rue... It looks like a mix of Gabriel Knight, Bladerunner and Beneath a steel sky... Was this game entirely produced with AGS... How easy or hard is AGS to use? Do you have to be pretty technical? Im not really a tech guy nor am I an artist but I love writing stories...

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 06:39:01 PM »
You can learn the basics of AGS in a weekend. The tutorials are great and the engine is super user-friendly. So give it a whirl!

Offline karaus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 04:45:52 AM »

Ah I see, well I'm looking into AGS right now! Thanks for the help, We've also found an engine called winter mute, it looks promising but I think it costs to buy a license.

According to their site at http://dead-code.org/home/index.php/license/ Winter Mute is free for hobby or commercial use, but if you find it useful, they accept donations.

Offline Stee

• Stephen Campbell
    • View Profile
    • Stee Campbell - Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 05:04:09 PM »
I may be a tad biased but you can't go wrong with AGS:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk

Every game sold on the Wadjet Eye Games store is made in AGS including Resonance. There are a few other commercial titles created with it too.

If you are serious about developing a point and click hop on over to the link above. There are loads of helpful people in the forums and a few quality games from other developers over there.