Wadjet Eye Games

Author Topic: god!I hate those puzzle games that you have find words!I hate em!  (Read 8283 times)

Offline Vinnie107

• View Profile
why is that in almost all the games?! I mean solving puzzles are fun and figuring out things are fun but why the words!!!! that is just painful and makes me mad !(I am going all AVGN on this! no mercy !!! ) >:( the puzzle games should not have to find words!!!!

Offline JohnBigOz

• View Profile
Re: god!I hate those puzzle games that you have find words!I hate em!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 02:10:38 PM »
Quite frankly, I prefer combining words than items, I always hate that I didn't know which object to use/combine, while with words it's simple.

Offline ProxyDamage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:10:09 PM »
Remember kids, when it comes to punctuation marks, it's "one or none"!

But seriously, what do you mean "find words"? Word salad? Decryption? Finding a password? There are all kinds of puzzles involving words, really... I find that it's less the type of puzzle, and more the logic and execution behind it that matter.

For instances, I still remember a certain puzzle in a certain game (don't remember the name to be honest) I've played a long time ago that revolved around finding a password. It seems so stupid and arbitrary, till I understood it, and suddenly realized it was brilliant. The password was staring at your face the entire time, you just had to understand the hint.

On the other hand Broken Sword (an otherwise excellent, and iconic, game) had a completely asinine puzzle surrounding a secret message and code decryption, that wasn't as much hard to figure out as much as it was boring and time consuming to execute. A feeling that was only exacerbated by them forcing you to repeat the puzzle again later in the game, but with a much harder message... At that point you already figured out the logic inherent to the puzzle. You have to, because you need to complete the same puzzle earlier in order to get there. It's the same fucking puzzle. You basically just have to grind out possible combinations of vowels and consonants till the message makes sense...

Those can fuck off and die in the darkest of pits.

I say it's more execution and logic than actual "shape" of the puzzle.

Offline Vinnie107

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »
I think em.... you miss understood me... I mean games made by bigfish(you know those puzzle games where you have to find the item that match the word?I love puzzle games,but the part where you have to find words against items?It just ruins the mood half of the time I delete a game because the word item puzzle is too boring....

Offline Vinnie107

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:18:09 PM »
parts like this just ruin the whole game

Offline DaveGilbert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 07:06:33 AM »
Oh yeah. I think you mean "Hidden Object Games," or HOGs. Those are extremely popular with the Big Fish crowd. I don't quite get the appeal myself, but it's hard to deny that they are very popular with certain types of gamers.

Offline Vinnie107

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:43:43 AM »
I don't get why would any one like that...

Offline ProxyDamage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 06:11:56 PM »
Ohh... I can't say I've ever faced those to be honest. That's not really a puzzle though, is it? I mean, there's no logical process to be understood or figured out... There's nothing to "solve". It's a "hidden object game" as Dave put it.

I mean, yeah, it's popular, but so are Twilight, the Transformers movies, Call of Duty games and Justin Bieber, none of which I'd ever ascribe the word "quality" to.

Unless perhaps preceded by the word "no" or synonyms.

Offline Vinnie107

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 11:09:25 PM »
twilight is I think popular among goth kids?(or girls who like hansom boys that play gay- -|||
transformers are popular because of Megan  fox?I don know...the effect are petty good
COD is a good game I often play it . It;s just a way to past time and kill some Russians(I don't like em for some reason....
Justin I don't like- -and I don't know why would anyone scream like a teenage girl around him
also I like a game called Fallout  It's basic gameplay is like Skyrim

Offline JohnBigOz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
Vinnie, why did you go comletely off topic all of sudden?

I gotta admit I don't share some of the views you just said

I actualyl enjoy HoG games, but only if they include mini-games/puzzles, that makes it fun, quite frankly I only play for mini-games.

I tried playing Nancy Drew, bit diffcult, I think there was like only one game I completed without looking at walkthroughs.

Offline Appesart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:38:32 PM »
Ah I happen to like them. Or more precisely I used to. They used to be novelty, when the huntsville series started. They were very nicely done, and, well, I adore chaos and disorder, I adore letting my eyes getting lost in flea markets, it was a fun concept, with cool graphic atmosphere. Then it suddenly became a genre, a very successfull one, and bigfish started producing such games everyday, with very mediocre quality (objects that looked very artificially placed there, etc). They seem to be very cheap and easy to do, especially badly... I kept trying a few ones, especially as they were sometimes throwing some nice machinery puzzles in them, but I got tired of the principle after a short while.

And then they started calling them "adventure games". And I got angry.

Offline Vinnie107

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 05:31:49 AM »
yeah- -
big fish ditch out those games like everyday? they usually sucks....

Offline Rognik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 02:43:16 PM »
Remember kids, when it comes to punctuation marks, it's "one or none"!
At least he only used 4 !'s. Once he crossed into 5 or more, there was no hope for him.

There's a certain amount of enjoyment in hidden object puzzles. Generally, though, I prefer the types which generate items that have to be used on the map. If it's just hidden object for the sake of hidden objects, it's annoying. It's especially annoying to look for an object in a place that you wouldn't normally find an object there. Or have to click on a shadow that looks that the object.

Thankfully, though, Wadjet Eye is classic adventure: conversation or pixel-hunting only.